The Angry Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
I have some grave concerns about this club. Grave concerns. The last ten years we’ve lurched from crisis to crisis to crisis.

We’ve had 7 senior coaches in 10 years – Craig, Bickley, Sanderson, Walsh, Camporeale, Pyke, Nicks. Some forced, some sacked. We’ve had Tippettgate, where for a $300k fine and a bunch of valuable draft picks we were told we’d get the whole story and we didn’t, to Collective Minds and the Camp, the most traumatic weekend getaway since Wolf Creek, Kangatech where we just flat out didn’t read the instruction book, and players running around like they work for Pablo Escobar.

List-wise, we can’t use a first round pick to save our lives; and we’ve forced/lost players like Jarryd Lyons, Ed Curnow, Patrick Dangerfield, Hugh Greenwood, Jack Gunston. What do those guys have in common?

they all got more Brownlow votes than a Crows player last year. Even Ed ******* Curnow!

Also, Alex Keath, Phil Davis, Jake Lever, Ricky Henderson, Josh Jenkins, Mitch McGovern, Eddie Betts, Kurt Tippett, Charlie Cameron, Sam Jacobs, Matthew Wright, Shaun McKernan, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Kyle Hartigan, Rory Atkins, Brad Crouch. Brad Crouch! Our posturing over Brad Crouch was embarrassing, we folded faster than those nice seats in the grandstand that automatically flip up. We just lost 16 matches in a row, and in the last three years since the GF we’ve come 12th, 11th and stone motherless last.

In the last three years especially, the big names we’ve lost or forced out? Don Pyke, Andrew Fagan, Scott Camporeale & Brett Burton. And Brett Burton, wow, David Noble goes to Brisbane in 2014, now they are good, we got Burton in 2016, we sacked him three years later after an external review. Ben Keays looks like our fittest player and he’s a delistee from Brisbane! We must have the worst footy department in the league. We call a review, it’s football only. August 2019 has Andrew Fagan saying we’re in the last year of our five-year plan. Now I can’t get a copy of the old plan, I can’t get a copy of the new plan. I don’t see any evidence of a plan. Not sure I trust any plan that says come last.

But it’s okay. Whenever there’s a problem, the board and senior management goes missing, and a shiny new propaganda hostage video featuring Tom Doedee comes out, so we know our media department is working fantastic, except when it’s time to spell the name “Malcolm” at an awards night.

We did two things right this decade – we got to a GF, and our Women’s team, and I’m inclined to think on all this evidence we did this by accident, and at the very least we should all go home and pray to Erin Phillips.

So, in this most critical recent period, the chairman who oversaw all of these embarrassments has the board member who was going to replace him leave, so he picks a replacement, and that replacement hired the last CEO we had who oversaw lots of those very embarrassments himself. I mean, there’s insular, and there’s Adelaide Crows insular.

And please delete Twitter from your phones. For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, we’ve got thankfully ex-employees trying to pick up teenagers. We’ve got board members fighting with ex-players. We’ve got board members saying “Players who don’t want to enter hubs are risking their jobs”. You know who’s not risking their job? The board, it turns out!

We have this illusion of democracy with two elected board members. I recall votes don’t get released because the members will know how much of a stitch-up it is when players nominate? What a revolving door that must be. Greg Griffin said the board was “inherently weak because they’re not playing with your own money”. Does that mean it’s a junket? Is it just for show? Results don’t seem to matter. I guess we’ll have to wait to buy back our license… again… before we can change anything. Bring on 2028!

So, after successfully leading us to our very first wooden spoon, after the last decade and especially the last three years of clown college our club has been, how is it possible that no-one on the board resigned? I mean, I congratulate their ability to turn up for free food and drinks and receive applause like the spoon is a proud achievement, but none of them felt the need to be accountable?

Also, is it just called a spoon, or will the AFL send us an actual spoon, and will it go in the trophy cabinet?

Yeah dude. Well said.

eJhgfAl.gif

So, after successfully leading us to our very first wooden spoon, after the last decade and especially the last three years of clown college our club has been, how is it possible that no-one on the board resigned? I mean, I congratulate their ability to turn up for free food and drinks and receive applause like the spoon is a proud achievement, but none of them felt the need to be accountable?

Also, is it just called a spoon, or will the AFL send us an actual spoon, and will it go in the trophy cabinet?

The only positive is that the only way to go from here is up. Let's hope the recent changes on and off field result in a climb up the ladder sooner rather than later.

I have some grave concerns about this club. Grave concerns. The last ten years we’ve lurched from crisis to crisis to crisis.

We’ve had 7 senior coaches in 10 years – Craig, Bickley, Sanderson, Walsh, Camporeale, Pyke, Nicks. Some forced, some sacked. We’ve had Tippettgate, where for a $300k fine and a bunch of valuable draft picks we were told we’d get the whole story and we didn’t, to Collective Minds and the Camp, the most traumatic weekend getaway since Wolf Creek, Kangatech where we just flat out didn’t read the instruction book, and players running around like they work for Pablo Escobar.

List-wise, we can’t use a first round pick to save our lives; and we’ve forced/lost players like Jarryd Lyons, Ed Curnow, Patrick Dangerfield, Hugh Greenwood, Jack Gunston. What do those guys have in common?

they all got more Brownlow votes than a Crows player last year. Even Ed ******* Curnow!

Also, Alex Keath, Phil Davis, Jake Lever, Ricky Henderson, Josh Jenkins, Mitch McGovern, Eddie Betts, Kurt Tippett, Charlie Cameron, Sam Jacobs, Matthew Wright, Shaun McKernan, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Kyle Hartigan, Rory Atkins, Brad Crouch. Brad Crouch! Our posturing over Brad Crouch was embarrassing, we folded faster than those nice seats in the grandstand that automatically flip up. We just lost 16 matches in a row, and in the last three years since the GF we’ve come 12th, 11th and stone motherless last.

In the last three years especially, the big names we’ve lost or forced out? Don Pyke, Andrew Fagan, Scott Camporeale & Brett Burton. And Brett Burton, wow, David Noble goes to Brisbane in 2014, now they are good, we got Burton in 2016, we sacked him three years later after an external review. Ben Keays looks like our fittest player and he’s a delistee from Brisbane! We must have the worst footy department in the league. We call a review, it’s football only. August 2019 has Andrew Fagan saying we’re in the last year of our five-year plan. Now I can’t get a copy of the old plan, I can’t get a copy of the new plan. I don’t see any evidence of a plan. Not sure I trust any plan that says come last.

But it’s okay. Whenever there’s a problem, the board and senior management goes missing, and a shiny new propaganda hostage video featuring Tom Doedee comes out, so we know our media department is working fantastic, except when it’s time to spell the name “Malcolm” at an awards night.

We did two things right this decade – we got to a GF, and our Women’s team, and I’m inclined to think on all this evidence we did this by accident, and at the very least we should all go home and pray to Erin Phillips.

So, in this most critical recent period, the chairman who oversaw all of these embarrassments has the board member who was going to replace him leave, so he picks a replacement, and that replacement hired the last CEO we had who oversaw lots of those very embarrassments himself. I mean, there’s insular, and there’s Adelaide Crows insular.

And please delete Twitter from your phones. For the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, we’ve got thankfully ex-employees trying to pick up teenagers. We’ve got board members fighting with ex-players. We’ve got board members saying “Players who don’t want to enter hubs are risking their jobs”. You know who’s not risking their job? The board, it turns out!

We have this illusion of democracy with two elected board members. I recall votes don’t get released because the members will know how much of a stitch-up it is when players nominate? What a revolving door that must be. Greg Griffin said the board was “inherently weak because they’re not playing with your own money”. Does that mean it’s a junket? Is it just for show? Results don’t seem to matter. I guess we’ll have to wait to buy back our license… again… before we can change anything. Bring on 2028!

I know you're a respected member of this board, Deaneus! but this is a serious 'Old man yells at clouds' moment for you. Absolute snooze-fest.

We're heading in the right direction, have made a multitude of positive changes, and have a young group that's building nicely.

Don't join the masses of disillusioned pessimists living in the past that continue plague this board in ever-increasing numbers.

I know you're a respected member of this board, Deaneus! but this is a serious 'Old man yells at clouds' moment for you. Absolute snooze-fest.

We're heading in the right direction, have made a multitude of positive changes, and have a young group that's building nicely.

Don't join the masses of disillusioned pessimists living in the past that continue plague this board in ever-increasing numbers.

You take that back, no one respects me!

Headed in the right direction? Well I guess we can’t finish lower than last.
Changes? Agree.
Young group? Yes.
Building nicely? Remains to be seen.

I guess I’m still shocked that after utterly ******* this club, Chapman et al. get a round of applause at the AGM, we extend the tenure of board members who seem to have done sweet * all, and everyone moves on.

THIS BOARD HAD THEIR CHANCE, ****ed IT, AND CLAIM THEY’RE THE ONES TO TAKE US TO THE PROMISED LAND?

They should have resigned out of *shame*, but nice seats and free champers goes a long way.

Hard to argue with any of that. Unfortunately the club seems so frightened of criticism that they refuse to have any real transparency about what they do, and so it's impossible to tell what, if anything, we are doing about it. Change only ever seems to come when it is utterly unavoidable, and even then only in the smallest increments possible.

Thank goodness for our women's team, they have singlehandedly kept my love for the club alive over the last few years. I've probably watched more AFLW matches than AFL matches in that time. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you half of our mens players' guernsey numbers anymore.

You're going to need a bigger sign.

You take that back, no one respects me!

Headed in the right direction? Well I guess we can’t finish lower than last.
Changes? Agree.
Young group? Yes.
Building nicely? Remains to be seen.

I guess I’m still shocked that after utterly ******* this club, Chapman et al. get a round of applause at the AGM, we extend the tenure of board members who seem to have done sweet fu** all, and everyone moves on.

THIS BOARD HAD THEIR CHANCE, f’ed IT, AND CLAIM THEY’RE THE ONES TO TAKE US TO THE PROMISED LAND?

They should have resigned out of *shame*, but nice seats and free champers goes a long way.

The board is completely unaccountable, why on earth would they resign? why on earth would the AFL want that?

I'm still have a foot in the camp that this is pretty much what we wanted, so its a bit hard to jump off that bus half way through. Since 2019 we've dumped a huge part of the playing group, most of the coaches and the admin team

so I guess that is my long way around of saying I don't really have confidence in the Board, but the people they have put in place to get us back up the ladder seem like good appointments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also you notice a few funny things about your club here and there, and then one day BAM wooden spoon

Meanwhile the external review in 2019 was like going for a prostate exam with your jocks still on.

Let me put this out there.

Is it partly the supporters fault? Does it all stem from the perception (which seems to be turning into the reality) that Adelaide supporters will never tolerate "bottoming out"? Is the resulting consistent mediocrity, both on and off the field, a consequence of a commercial desire to maintain competitiveness and hence, bums on seats?

We were right to push for major change at the club, however as a supporter group, do we also need to look at ourselves in terms of our role in where we are at?

I think it's time. We have the change we wanted, we have a bunch of kids, we have a good coaching group, reinvigorated back office. I've been a strident critic, but I think it's time to be balanced, realistic and objective. Otherwise we will be complicit in the ongoing failure of the club.

Is it partly the supporters fault? Does it all stem from the perception (which seems to be turning into the reality) that Adelaide supporters will never tolerate "bottoming out"? Is the resulting consistent mediocrity, both on and off the field, a consequence of a commercial desire to maintain competitiveness and hence, bums on seats?

We were right to push for major change at the club, however as a supporter group, do we also need to look at ourselves in terms of our role in where we are at?

I think it's time. We have the change we wanted, we have a bunch of kids, we have a good coaching group, reinvigorated back office. I've been a strident critic, but I think it's time to be balanced, realistic and objective. Otherwise we will be complicit in the ongoing failure of the club.

I think its the clubs fault for assuming a few things which may have led them to believe we wouldn't have put up with some poor years to top the list up.

it reminds me of the reason they didn't trade Tippet when they had the chance - they thought fans would go ape s**t.

Perhaps if they gave us a chance to be reasonable, we would be?

I like WSW approach. Stop treating fans and members as children and do the hard things that set us up to win

I don't want to know everything but I do want to know why decisions are made or not made

Perhaps give us the chance to be reasonable

I have mentioned this before in passing but the club has no ethos. in 97 and 98 we had players from all over country but there was a real feeling of SA vs VIC. We were scrappy underdogs who in the eyes of the VFL should have just been thankful to be playing not winning. In those years there was something ruthless about the club, the cuts in at the start of 97, modra being dropped in 98. Pittman getting yelled any chance Blight got. The players adapted, they learnt a new style and there was something palpable about what they were trying to achieve.

Now i dont want to live in the past but i want emphasize how important it is to have an identity tied to a plan. Every successful AFL club over the past 15 years has a strong culture, an ethos about who they are and what they want to achieve. They havent become a strong club because they won a premiership they won premierships because they were a strong club before (possible exception in the Bulldogs) and here we are chewing through coaches every 2 &1/2 years and drifting between disaster after disaster. there is a pattern here and to place any blame on shitty coaches misses the bigger point.

This club is so afraid of failure that they are paralyzed from growing.For the crows to fail to win a premiership in the last 22 years, with the membership, resources and the collective audience in SA, it is nothing short of an unmitigated failure. There is no reason this should be happening yet it is. And while it is easy to bag Roo the real problem are the inept SA power brokers on the board who keep mediocrity on the menu because they know nothing else. We hire soft chined CEOs and people that will do an ok job, but god forbid they rock the gravy boat. Jesus christ we just appointed a "dishonest" 75 year old ex premier as our chairman, to me this doesn't scream cream of the crop it says to me just another person who is happy with the satus quo. if the club thinks that appointing people like olsen will help transition them to success then they will get everything they deserve. My main concern is that this lack of direction filters through all aspects of the club, what type of football do the crows want to play ? what is the drafting plan ? what was the transition plan from one of the oldest club in the AFL? how do we asset manage players? who the hell knows. there is no top down ethos, no significant planning and no strong identity to the club. until that changes success on the field will be fleeting at best.

There's a lot of opinions, and I've shared my fair share over the years, but it boils down to this: for about 15 years the club's #1 priority hasn't been winning a premiership. I believe the club sees a premiership is a nice by-product of other things. The focus should be on football, and it's not.

There's a lot of opinions, and I've shared my fair share over the years, but it boils down to this: for about 15 years the club's #1 priority hasn't been winning a premiership. I believe the club sees a premiership is a nice by-product of other things. The focus should be on football, and it's not.

Yep - the club has always been desperate to not bottom out, being "competitive" rather than being dominant. Having a goal of not-failing is not necessarily the same thing as having a goal of succeeding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back