Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's a pain in the butt... had a guy in my workout this arvo who was literally using 5 bits of equipment... I managed to work around him since there was fu** all people at the gym, but seriously... I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said "making the most of the empty gym"... no idea about others, some people.
I think within reason, you just need to be a selfish prick and think of yourself first. Most people are like this. They dont give a flying f**k.

I feel bad when I hog 2 pieces of equipment and those are really only the abs and calves machines. Not really your most popular ones.

Step 1: "Hey mate, how many sets ya got?"

Step 2: "Can I work in with you?"

Step 3: "Do you want me to go before you or after you in the rotation?"

Step 4: "Look, I need that machine and you're not using it right now. I start work in half an hour and you will hardly notice I'm here."

If they look like a bikie/just got outta remand/aryan brotherhood member/methhead then walk away.

Bulk nutrients is definitely the best ‘cheap’ brand protein powder on the market though. Ordered some today! Anyone tried the cookies and cream protein powder? Got the old faithful honeycomb as always but thought I’d try that one too.

I must admit I buy the expensive protein powder ON, though whether that gives me an advantage or edge or great marketing, that I do not know? :drunk:

I will say though I like the taste and have never had any issues with it, I have tried other brands and either encountered bloating, lack of taste or the powder being hard to mix.

Gym bro yesterday was giving a newbie some unsolicited advice to a newbie on Lat Pulldowns. I muted my headphones and had a good listen, everything he said was right and on the money. While the newbie was doing it wrong, it wasnt so wrong and dangerous IMO to the extent it warranted a SOS from the gym bro.

I noticed that the newbie finished the remainder of the workout hiding in the corners of the gym to complete his exercises in a bid to go unnoticed.

Question:

Would it be fair to say that over 90% of guys that go to the gym do so to get bigger/get in shape?

If that this is the case, why do probably ~70% or probably more lift weight that is so heavy it almost always leads to incorrect form and basically a waste of time?

Bulk nutrients is definitely the best ‘cheap’ brand protein powder on the market though. Ordered some today! Anyone tried the cookies and cream protein powder? Got the old faithful honeycomb as always but thought I’d try that one too.

Cookies and cream is the best (along with vanilla).

Question:

Would it be fair to say that over 90% of guys that go to the gym do so to get bigger/get in shape?

If that this is the case, why do probably ~70% or probably more lift weight that is so heavy it almost always leads to incorrect form and basically a waste of time?

ego?

Look, I think it is, but I also genuinely think there is this mentality to get big you need to lift big so they lift literally as much weight as they can grip. Which to some extent is true, but this really applies to experienced body builders.

However, for where most gym users are at in their development, they dont need to lift big to get ripped and get serious muscular definition.

Look, I think it is, but I also genuinely think there is this mentality to get big you need to lift big so they lift literally as much weight as they can grip. Which to some extent is true, but this really applies to experienced body builders.

However, for where most gym users are at in their development, they dont need to lift big to get ripped and get serious muscular definition.
its a neverending "battle" in that sense isnt it. without experience people think gotta lift heavy as weights to bulk and and impress.

its a neverending "battle" in that sense isnt it. without experience people think gotta lift heavy as weights to bulk and and impress.

I do understand why young kids do it and gym newbies, but surely once you have been training for 6 months or more you should realise if youre "lifting" much more weight than a guy thats twice as big as you, maybe there is a reason why you are not getting any gains.

Ironically it was a couple of 'roid mates that instilled it into me when I started about lifting correctly with proper form, they did over a course of a few weeks deliberately trained with me using lighter weights and told me not to ego lift but to lift within my ability at that time.

Since then, I have always respected guys that lift light weight correctly than ego lifters.

Mind you there is a guy at my gym who ego lifts, half rep this, half squat that and is ripped to the core and a massive unit. Steroids does have some payoff! :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trick with bodybuilding is to learn to do with heavy weights what you can do with light weights.

- good form
- mind muscle connection
- intense muscle contraction
- full range of motion
- 12-15 reps
- searing muscle burn

If you're consistent for years you can get there in the 8-12 rep range or the 20-30 rep range. It's just a matter of what your mind can tolerate.

True HIT 1 set to failure training eventually fried everyone who tried it (largely because Mike Mentzer made the set last for 5 minutes) and Arnie only did his published insane 2x a day high volume workouts for 3 months of the year.

You alternate between light and heavy, high volume and low volume.

At the end of the day, if you can maintain good form and grind until you get hemorrhoids, the blood vessels in your eyes pop, your lats are so sore you cramp up when you try to wipe your arse, your legs are Doms'ed up so bad you can't sit on the dunny, and the plums have varicose veins growing out of them from the strain of it all....if you're smart enough to manage it without your tendons, joints and vertebrae falling out, then yours is the earth and everything in it.

Question:

Ego and the (incorrect) belief that bigger is better.

I got taught very young "heavy weights, low reps for bulk, light weights, high reps for shred".

I think most people still believe that to a degree.

I got taught very young "heavy weights, low reps for bulk, light weights, high reps for shred".

Dont think that ego lift stops either after a certain age, I saw a guy in the gym once, deep into his 70s, doing mid air bench press, ie not even remotely descending the bar to his chest, more like it was racking and unracking lol.

I cut him some slack, he doesnt have much time left and he has earned the right to do whatever gym f**kery he wants to do. :thumbsu:

Dont think that ego lift stops either after a certain age, I saw a guy in the gym once, deep into his 70s, doing mid air bench press, ie not even remotely descending the bar to his chest, more like it was racking and unracking lol.

I cut him some slack, he doesnt have much time left and he has earned the right to do whatever gym f**kery he wants to do. :thumbsu:
Were all victims of ego.

My max bench got to 120kgs many years ago, i got it back to 105 last year.

I have no need whatsoever to bench that but the double 20kg plates just soothes my ego.

Pretty keen to get a 100kg bench and 100 push up double at some point.

Were all victims of ego.

I do admit I do "ego lift" but not the true definition.

By that I mean I do like to try and lift more each session and push myself, but I do it incrementally and definitely make sure I can do at least 2-3 reps properly. TBH the way my gym is set up, I dont think anyone can see me? :drunk:

I havent lifted heavy weight with incorrect form for years, where the goal is to show off in front of others. Probably have come close to killing myself with the bench press a few times. :D

That very first time you benched heavy when you dont have the muscle or skill to back it up, is scary as f**k.

I thought time under tension was important for bulk??

Honestly im not that well versed but most of the dudes i knew heard the "small weight + high reps = shred, heavy weight + low reps = bulk".

Im pretty sure its not accurate but its one of those well vaunted old wives tales most people have heard and alot think is accurate.

Honestly im not that well versed but most of the dudes i knew heard the "small weight + high reps = shred, heavy weight + low reps = bulk".

Im pretty sure its not accurate but its one of those well vaunted old wives tales most people have heard and alot think is accurate.
Yeah, same. No expert, just something that stuck in my head from years ago.

I must admit I buy the expensive protein powder ON, though whether that gives me an advantage or edge or great marketing, that I do not know? :drunk:

I will say though I like the taste and have never had any issues with it, I have tried other brands and either encountered bloating, lack of taste or the powder being hard to mix.
This

One of the brands Chemist Warehouse sells, Vital Strength, does a great tasting and smelling vanilla protein, just smelling it is pure nostalgia, it also mixes reasonably well so all in all it's a solid product and is good for both smoothies or having alone with water/milk, while it's reasonably priced (3kg tubs $90-100)

Unfortunately though, the other flavours they do outside of vanilla is a bland af chocolate and a choc peanut that absolutely reeks of artificial flavouring, so until they release banana or strawberry flavours, I simply had to ditch them and go with something else before I get sick of the vanilla.

So I went onto Nitrotech, their vanilla is ok but it mixes fairly well, but is a little more pricey, nearly out of this current tub, so only having it after as a post workout shake after hard sessions.

Found this chicks berry flavoured protein at NQR, still has 4 months on best before, so bought a couple of 375g tubs for $6 each just as a temporary option, tis a WPIWPC blend, about 60% protein, will do the job with the plain Coles WPC I found until I can afford a bigger tub/bag of Nitrotech ($95 for 2.5kg or 5kg bag for $165 at Thrive in Highpoint, paying off a layby on a $300 workshop vacuum in 2 weeks, so there was my protein money, but gotta keep the garage clean).

I prefer a vanilla or banana or strawberry type for smoothies, while something that tastes good would be my post workout shake. After a few weeks I get sick of the same flavours, so need to find a decent brand that does great tasting, great mixing proteins, so hopefully a big American brand like Nitrotech hits all those areas.
Question:

Myths taught to them when young

This
You also see this with women in the reverse.

They dont want to lift weights as they dont want to "get too big" so focus on cardio and light squat stuff.
This

Going into a large calorie surplus is one of the main reasons people will put on weight aside of newbie gains.

There's so many lean but incredibly strong powerlifters and Olympic lifters out there, people who sprout these myths simply need to look at these types bucking that "trend"
Thankfully i realised why you take the clamps off before i ever tried to go too big without a spotter.

If you havent been pinned at least once you aint trying hard enough.
Safeties>>>>>>no clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back