Autopsy Rd 2 Blues suffer bitterly disappointing loss to arch rival

Who played well for Carlton in Round 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No player is irreplaceable or bigger than the club..
I'm not too fussed with what Cripps decides to do..

If he leaves we could get
  • Cerra or a best 22 mid and a first round draft pick..
  • Then with 3x first rounders (2x 2021)(1x 2022) target a Merrett, Oliver, Kelly, Bulldogs Mid
If he stays
  • He needs to find a way to contribute at his best again in the modern game
Either way see it as a win/win for the club

Isn't he a free agent ?

I was a bit more positive on (I'll try not to mention the obvious ones):

Docherty: I don't think he's been as bad as some people have suggested. He's missing some kicks, absolutely, but I think last night his disposal was better. He hit a few great kicks, but let a few drift oob. Overall though he's farrrrr from a problem right now. He also played on Pendles inside 50 a lot and mostly quelled any infleunce he had, which shouldn't be overlooked.

Fisher: Hasn't had a lot of the ball and does look frazzled at times with trying to play too fast, but overall I like what I'm seeing. If he can just add an extra 10% composure to his game he could be very, very good.

McKay: I know, 4 goals is an obvious choice, but more specifically because he played against Moore. Everyone knows Moore likes to attack attack attack, and he did, but McKay also punished him and also a few times chased him - he didn't get him but he put enough pressure on Moore couldn't slash quite as much. Defensive pressure isn't what McKays known for but he did it a couple times which is fantastic.

Weitering: Was only beaten once afaic. The free kick to Cox was rubbish. Strong as ever.

Fogarty: Excellent pickup. He's sound in disposal and his tackling pressure is excellent. I wonder if a stint on ball now and then is coming up for him, his tackling would be a welcome addition right now as teams are walking out of congestion.
Doc did some great things defensively, left his man to impact the play and did so. Does play off his man way to much though and gets caught out. One point he was 50m off his man when the ball was in dispute hoping we would win it. Sprinted his ass off to get back but lucky they didn't use his opponent

He was always a bit shaky with his kicking which he had improved up until he did his knee. He is going to shank some, have to learn to accept it

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Think a fella called Judd probably makes that list but your point is well taken. Think this year was good though.

I'm more concerned about our drafting and I know killing Blinky Bill is not going to be tolerated by many on here but I'm yet to be convinced that the drafting in our rebuild years is too much better than what we were complaining about before that. At least that mob have a bit of an excuse because of the compromised drafts and, in most cases lower picks, We were fringe finals for much of that time..

Only Weitering and Walsh (and they were lay down miseres) and to a lesser extent Harry have turned out to be bonafide guns, the rest are still in the wait and hope category. Most have shown a bit but are still a long way short of what we'd hoped. Fogarty's performances so far have driven that home in spades.

Many blame our development for that and, whilst I concede that some players may be hampered by that, I refuse to believe that it applies to all.

BTW those who are writing off Cripps are going just a tad early. Yes probably the worst game I've seen from him but anyone that's played sport at almost any level has to learn to accept that sometimes you will just have a dog day.

I've been supporting Murph's spot in the team but I reckon I'm off that bandwagon, Willo's as well.
Cripps has been 18 months off average football for your star/captain player. It's a big concern

Thought I'd also take the night to calm down a bit - nope, didn't work.

I would rather watch replays of Robbie Gray kicking that goal from the pocket to lose by a goal on repeat that watch this game again. This bloody hurts.

The Pies had the worst off season since Adelaide's Collective Minds camp - traded two of their key players for a packet of chips, their president got sacked, club embroiled in a racism saga, De Goey up for all kinds of serious charges AND their gun players that were out of form/underdone (Grundy/Adams etc). Yet they played with more heart and soul than us. Credit goes fully to them.

I wish we didn't retire Kade. God I would love for him to be out there at the moment, and to have a voice to tell some of these fellas what pulling on our jumper means.

Flat as a tack at the moment, not sure what the next moves are for us.

If Freo knocks us off next week, I will be glad I don't live in Melbourne because I think Princes Park might get burned down.

Early days yet with Curnow, I would offer a 2 year deal, big pay cut with bonuses, if he wants to shop himself around so be it.

Simmo back and SPS in Murphy's spot?

In defence of Murphy, he is not there to win us games off his own back, he is there for experience and skill, unfortunately, he is the icing on the cake in a good side, which we are not. Get him to 300, then thank him for his service if that's is why they kept him on.
Murphy doesn't have to win games but FFS he has to go in and get it when it's his turn. How many little kicks off the ground because he was too scared to put his head over the ball. Last night he was disgusting to watch, embarrassing

Early days yet with Curnow, I would offer a 2 year deal, big pay cut with bonuses, if he wants to shop himself around so be it.

Simmo back and SPS in Murphy's spot?

In defence of Murphy, he is not there to win us games off his own back, he is there for experience and skill, unfortunately, he is the icing on the cake in a good side, which we are not. Get him to 300, then thank him for his service if that's is why they kept him on.

Murphy has never been a good player, sorry to say this.

SPS should have been moved into the center or the wing, or even forward but yet this pathetic little club keeps tying to make him a half back.

Murphy should have been pissed off a long time ago, and now we are stuck with him for another season.

No wonder we aren;t going anywhere, we are just a bottom 4 club and will continue to be.

• Then with 3x first rounders (2x 2021)(1x 2022) target a Merrett, Oliver, Kelly, Bulldogs Mid
If he stays
But if Cripps leaves do we get these other players? Or does that tell them we are in no-mans land?

If he stays

What's your incentive to getting these guys across if Cripps leaves?

1/ they become the cannon fodder
2/ If we don't climb the ladder, why go to another club if I'm chasing a flag?
3/ Money- mercenary-not the greatest team builder

You wouldn't get anything for Curnow..pretty dumb suggestion tbh.

Keep him and see how he goes.

A massive pay cut and a 1 year deal, is all he is worth.

Sick of these types of player getting money for nothing.

Kruzer is the prime example.

If he stays

Cripps can do what he wants to do. He has worked hard enough to make his own choice and I wouldn’t blame him for leaving after the last 8 years.

I have an issue with those who are happy to force him out for something greener and s**t can him on the way. He was our one shining light for 4-5 years there before Walsh and he is already a club champion at 26. Yes he has been below par and the rule changes haven’t helped but he is still in our best two players and with his work rate he will get back to his best. We can be so fickle.

Weitering has developed beautifully
Harry kicked 4 on Moore and is more valuable to Carlton than Cripp and Docherty
Fisher warranted a hard tag from Sidebottom - he is developing very nicely
SOJ is definately AFL quality

we have also brought in
McGovern
Martin
Williams
Saad

to fill in missing capability

we are being strangled by injury to

Marchbank
Charlie
Kemp
TDK
Newman

serviceable to good players

Gibbons
Newnes

Cripps/Plowman/Jones/Docherty/Walsh are all good players

SPS/Setterfield/Dow/LoB/Stocker/Cuningham/Kennedy/Williamson - are all in no mans land that bit I agree with you on.

Teague hasn't had anywhere near the best players all fit and firing and Bolton never had this quality list anyway.

I think Teague has developed a game plan that will work well enough to be very competitive. Against the better sides who have been playing together longer, are drilled better or who emphasise hardness we will lose.

Experienced coaches without any Carlton baggage - woudlnt be playing Murphy or Betts or Casboult and would only be using Ed as a tagger.

Teague is balancing internal deals and politics with certain players whilst also himself learning on the job. We are wasting years of development by sticking with seond rate midfield coaches - why do I say this? because they dont understand proper sert ups, have shown no evidence of a well drilled cohesive srtructure and rely far too much on individual flair.

The team could flip this into a very good year OR go backwards from here - very very delicte situation. Only mongrel will save them now.

Weitering and Harry were part of the 2015 draft, Fisher 2016. I said the last 4 years and I'm talking about Dow, Stocker, Setters, LOB and the like.

His delivery has improved since he doesn't have to run as much, back on a wing he'll run 50m before kicking and it'll burn any leading forward.

No to mention his utter lack of defence will be further exposed.
He's not in our best anymore, and hasn't been for a couple of years. Club made a mistake giving him a contract for this year, and he won't be dropped. All he offers is a good kick when he is out in space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Harry finally packed his kicking boots, but overall Moore absolutely dominated him.

Moore had 18 intercept possessions. Eighteen!

That's nearly more touches than Levi, Willo and setters combined
Four goals was great but boy Harry needs to be harder in the contest and when it hits the ground. The kicking to him was deplorable at times and helped moore but he just doesn't hot it hard enough (maybe another year or two away maybe).

But what s**t me was how easy he went to ground and was therefore out of the play and they took the ball away. Gotta be better than that.

Thought I'd also take the night to calm down a bit - nope, didn't work.

I would rather watch replays of Robbie Gray kicking that goal from the pocket to lose by a goal on repeat that watch this game again. This bloody hurts.

The Pies had the worst off season since Adelaide's Collective Minds camp - traded two of their key players for a packet of chips, their president got sacked, club embroiled in a racism saga, De Goey up for all kinds of serious charges AND their gun players that were out of form/underdone (Grundy/Adams etc). Yet they played with more heart and soul than us. Credit goes fully to them.

I wish we didn't retire Kade. God I would love for him to be out there at the moment, and to have a voice to tell some of these fellas what pulling on our jumper means.

Flat as a tack at the moment, not sure what the next moves are for us.

If Freo knocks us off next week, I will be glad I don't live in Melbourne because I think Princes Park might get burned down.
The whole Kade Simpson for the jumper bit.....he was there for 15 years and it doesn't to have seem to rubbed off on anyone, he wouldn't have helped last night

A massive pay cut and a 1 year deal, is all he is worth.

Sick of these types of player getting money for nothing.

Kruzer is the prime example.
That's fine but worth persisting with:
A: potential match winning fwd we need, you don't give up on a player like that
B: you wouldn't get much in return so not worth selling low anyway

Good to see Harry finally packed his kicking boots, but overall Moore absolutely dominated him.

Moore had 18 intercept possessions. Eighteen!

That's nearly more touches than Levi, Willo and setters combined
To be fair...are they really intercept possessions when we kick it to him, all on his own? Seriously, the delivery into the f50 was pretty bad at times.

I think throwing everything at Cripps is a mistake. He is massively overrated by a lot of people in football. He has been extremely inconsistent for a couple of years. His disposal is questionable, as is his ability to convert in front of goal. He is not suited to open fast football which the AFL is moving heaven and earth to make happen. I want him to stay but he is not worth a multi million dollar 5+ year deal.

People are writing off Cripps already and want to trade him? Holy s**t. It's round 2 ffs, there's a whole season yet. He's been enormous for this club for the last few years yet you've given up on him already? Once he finds form you'll be eating your words.

The whole Kade Simpson for the jumper bit.....he was there for 15 years and it doesn't to have seem to rubbed off on anyone, he wouldn't have helped last night

Unfortunately I think you're right.

That's fine but worth persisting with:
A: potential match winning fwd we need, you don't give up on a player like that
B: you wouldn't get much in return so not worth selling low anyway

I understand your point and I agree we wouldn't get much.

But like I said at the moment he only deserves a 1 year deal and a massive pay cut.

Last edited:
Back