Autopsy v Richmond - Swans win by 45

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I liked besides playing out of our skins and winning was that Richmond defenders weren't getting their own way by peeling off, going third man up and easily repelling attacks.. Was lovely to see Grimes and Co under the pump.
I wish we turned up like this in the 2014 GF.. Could have made a game of it.

Did Blakey play a loose in defence at times ?
Not exactly. We had one more mid because they had an extra in defence. So when the ball was in their forward line we had an extra. So he wasn't dropped back as an extra defender he was the extra mid helping the defence when the ball went back there. Playing a mid off thd back of the centre square role. Really smart. It set up our ball winning and run off the stoppages.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Summarized this perfectly mate.
Not like for like, but I also feel for Will Hayward as he was also plugging gaps last year and I feel like he has lost his way a little. They need to find a permanent position for him too, though he will need to break back into the team now. He is still an outstanding talent.
He isnt good enough at present, only injuries will get him him now.

THIS!!! Massive kudos to O Flo, taken the challenge and just owned it. Fantastic response.
The thing is when he was drafted one of his greatest strengths was his, disposal. Yet after being at Swans for a short time that deteriorated. I think if you are in a bottom developing team you have less time because there is less help. There is less chance teammates will hold to structure. That makes it harder for a lad learning the game like Ollie. He is not the only one who came with bumig wraps on his disposal. So did Mills and his also well to s**t.

Ollie is now the player we all thought he could be. The young guys are incredible. Their game is a complete game they are not just good at one or two facets. The most important thing is we have drafted players who read the play so well. This is so important because they are always one step ahead of the game. Yesterday when Richmond got a fast break players came off their men to intercept. But what was not viable in the camera shot until the ball finally got forward were the players running down the far side at a diagonal to intercept the play. Clever play and quick reading of hhe play. You can train this into players but not all players are going to recognise the signs and know what to do by instinct. With our blokes it is instinctive so it makes it easy to use it in a training drill and it adapts easily on game day.

He isnt good enough at present, only injuries will get him him now.
Presently yes but dont forget how good his 1st year was. If he can recapture some of that form, might apply some pressure.
It's likely that 1 or 2 of the younger players will fall away slightly at some point and whoever is playing well in reserves - whether its Stephens, Hayward or Melican etc may force their way in.

Its pretty crazy how in the space of a few months his kicking has improved ten fold from the hesitant Florent of 2019-2020
I think that had as much to do with the lack of forward structure as with Ollie. He was hesitant because he was not sure what option to take. A developing side doesn't always get the structures right. Add young Mcdonald to the forward set up and it is a much more structured forward line. Less reliance on Buddy and more sharing the load and looking for the best option. That makes it easy for the mids. Wicks, Papley, Heeney, Gulden, added to Reid, McDonald and McLean all playing to structure give the mids plenty to kick to and there are always options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I've woken up sounding like a bloke whose smoked a pack a day for 50 years straight.

Yesterday was phenomenal. A clear game plan that was implemented to a tee. Passing by foot has been sensational whether it be short passes or long passes (see Gulden). We will cough up the occasional one and we just need to limit the times we do turn it over across half back. There was not really a player that didn't stand up yesterday. Even Bell's encouraging words on the bench and at the breaks were world class. The Chad was sensational. Surely this weeks rising star nom. McCartin looked great. Once or twice I felt he got stuck between two defenders because we got caught on the turnover and that gave Lynch a little too much space. We were able to dismantle Richmond piece by piece with the precision of a bike mechanic with OCD.

The swans faithful in Melbourne were out in force. We have missed our footy and we made it known with our voices how much we have missed watching our boys. I dare to there was at least 15 thousand of us there and when the boys got on top the roar was deafening. When The Chad kicked his second, the roar was absolutely guttural and having watched the replay, it sounded like we were the home side. I just hope our Sydney based swans were watching and turn the SCG into an absolute colosseum. Reports are the was a case of Gastro going round the Great Southern Stand at 3 qt as there were a lot of Richmond supporters that went "downstairs" to the toilets and never resurfaced. Rumour has it there are still tens of thousands of them down there. It did make the train trip home rather comfortable though as there were few Richmond supporters on the station.

Anyway, after being up until 3 am or was it 2am? watching replays and reading Facebook comment threads, it's time to get out of bed and spend the afternoon searching for that lid that went missing yesterday. I need to put it back on.

Imagine what restrictions would be on the club if we won 3 out of the last 4 flags like Richmond have done.

Academies gone or unable to bid on any players in the top 10
Unable to bid on F/S prospects.
Only a matter of time till the academy rules will be changed, more than likely before this years draft.

Regardless of were we finish

Not exactly. We had one more mid because they had an extra in defence. So when the ball was in their forward line we had an extra. So he wasn't dropped back as an extra defender he was the extra mid helping the defence when the ball went back there. Playing a mid off thd back of the centre square role. Really smart. It set up our ball winning and run off the stoppages.

Well observed. Hoist on their own petard. Our talls did a great job keeping their KPDs separated and accountable. Well planned and well played.

They are welcome to Hayward, Bell and others.

Here we go again...those who offer nothing othe than to roast. Where are all the apologies from the Florent knockers after his brilliant display yesterday. Soeaks volumes of the guy after the crusade against him. "Well done young fella" should be coming from all Swan footy fans.
So how do we know already that Hyward and Bell would also revel in the new structures. And "others", would all I am sure, have their heads down on the training track to be part of it.

Only a matter of time till the academy rules will be changed, more than likely before this years draft.

Regardless of were we finish
And if they do, we need to shut it down completely. Put no money into it and demand that the AFL completely supports and funds AFL pathways for NSW juniors. When they don't, spread the word in the media that the AFL have neglected kids in NSW. The AFL will go full panic mode and cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back