Autopsy Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite moment of the match: Dmac gets the ball in the centre, last quarter. Most would have just pumped it long into the 50, but he spots loose players out of the corner of his eye to the left and does a deft little chip over to them. Epitomized why we won the football game.

As one of Dmacs biggest critics on here, the thing is, this wasn’t just a great game for Dmac, that’s underselling it. It was a great game for anyone. His decision-making and execution in not bombing it long were first class and led the way for our team.

We were staring down at an incredibly frustrating loss half way through the third but, because a few blokes (led by Dmac) started hitting targets and gave our defenders and whole team a chance to structure up behind the ball, we built a cage around the Eagles they couldn’t get out of and just feasted on them like rabid dogs. 54 points to 1 against a very good AFL team is no joke.

I’m just praying we’ve found the formula now: no better test than coming up against the Tigers.

I know and understand that, but it still bugs me anyway.

(They manage to take the cameras into the rooms and record the song to show at half time of the next game. I would be suprised if a 5-10 minute deviation for people viewing the stream, who are paying money outside of foxtel and would not pay for just foxtel, would be that difficult. Of course if someone knows better I'd love to understand why they can't. It just feels like a relic of running it on TV so long and not being up to date to me.)

It's an antisiphoning thing to bring competitiveness which ultimately means media wise if you are to telecast the game on one channel; you can only telecast that game on that channel and no other.

So when Foxtel then have the rights to say "we're showing these 3 games" they show those 3 games on that day, and if there's overlap, they straight kill the feed and move on.

The AFL then junking their own live feed and piggy backing on Kayo which is basically Foxtel sport (as far as Foxtel is concerned) just meant that at least in the short interim, it's 1970's in 2021 as far as telecasts are concerned.

Just seen the dmac holding the ball again to get us within 20 points.

What an absolute beast!!!! Humble as all fu** with the celebration too

Right in front of us in the cheer squad ... I said to the bloke behind me that it's now the No.1 head-up play on the DMac highlight reel ... as good a play as you could hope to see in that possie.

We used the short kicking game and exploiting the man having to stand on the mark much better. Our best for the year. While we still bombed at times, we bombed less than we have.

Also Carlisle at times went to FF allowing King to play further from goals.

Crouch playing as a mid, along with an impressive Bytel gave us our best midfield group for the year. Both are genuine mids.
I think Jones getting his anger back made the difference there as well, saw him get into some little disputes which is when he is at his best.

I think Jones getting his anger back made the difference there as well, saw him get into some little disputes which is when he is at his best.
Yes. I noticed this too. When he screamed at the umpire about a holding the ball free and immediately won the next contested ball. Was great to see.

Just watched the game finally, how's THAT for a response! Awesome. Makes you wonder how we can play with that kind of effort and intensity this week and the complete opposite last week. The crowd were incredible and honestly a huge reason for us getting over the line.

- Steele is approaching Lenny levels of love for me. Total star and I'm so happy he's captain.
- Billings having a very very nice start to the season. Really prefer him playing half forward rather than wing, much more damaging with 2 goals 2 behinds (1 touched on line) 2 goal assists and still getting plenty of the ball. Looking like 2017 JB but with hopefully better goal kicking.
- What a difference Marshall makes, even with low game time had a big influence. Just hope his foot is all good.
- Hill was bashed by fans and media all week (and rightfully so) and responds with his best game for the club. THIS is the player we thought we were getting, now do it every week.
- Butler sparked the comeback with his third quarter, back to his 2020 best.
- We had 25 tackles in the 4th quarter alone this week and 32 tackles all game last week, crazy. Crouch set the tone from the start with his tackling, great game from him.
- Max had the breakout game we've been waiting for. Those on here that were saying last week that we took the wrong twin are looking pretty silly. Bloke could be anything once he starts holding on to his marks better.
- D-Mac resurgence!
- Have thought for the last couple of years that Battle is much better in defence than attack. I know he's versatile and we're loaded with 190+cm defenders but please just leave him there.
- Bytel with 19 disposals 5 clearances and 7 tackles in just 66% game time. This guy's a gun and we need to play him every week or another club will poach him.
- Carlisle's effort in the ruck against Naitanui was huge. Love Jake.
- Shoutouts to Sinclair, Membrey and Jones as well. Coffield probably the only one who didn't have a good game, hopefully he gets better and better as teh season goes on like last year. Just persist.

From the thread on Hill on the main board:

The mail is Hill is carrying a hip injury, which isn't publicised. But it's usually the case when players whom we know are very good, but are putting in sub-par performances, that it's probably due to a fitness issue we don't know about.

Lol

I'd called it before half time from memory?
🤣
Jones apparently not best 22 either
I had a massive sook about people ripping into Jones thinking it was unfair. Everyone kept going on about how s**t he was. So I gave in and said * it. Drop him.

Then he had a blinder in the third.

moral of the story: always back your instincts.

Like we said
He was terrible, for whatever reason..
But certainly turned it up
Back to his best
He was in everything when we stepped it up
He looked clearly underdone in his first game back and not much less so last week. I dare say having done 5 or whatever hammies in two years hasn’t done him any favours.

When he plays well we win. It’s pretty much as simple as that. He’s a huge barometer for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having Crouch, Jones and Bytel helping out Steele makes us a much harder midfield to take out of the game. Late last year opposition sat on Jones and we had Steele trying to do it all on his own. Having several guys who can win their own ball makes us hard to stop especially missing their best midfielder in Shuey.

Dan Mac is lovely kid, I remember meeting him thinking he's the kind of guy you'd like your daughter to marry. He's a gentle, humble, polite young man of good breeding, the opposite to most footballers. He's the type you imagine gets eaten alive in AFL, so pleased for him to have got back into the side and playing well. I like the outsiders coming good.
Yeah it's interesting. I was told by a recruiter of another club after we took him that he was the most surprising kid he'd ever met after meeting his family. He couldn't reconcile the toughness of his play with his upbringing (not football people and waaay too nice...was not said as a criticism BTW). Actually everything he said about him has come true. He was very conflicted about if he'd make it due to skill flaws but from what I took away was that by dint of his personality he had everything crossed for the young man to succeed.

Yeah it's interesting. I was told by a recruiter of another club after we took him that he was the most surprising kid he'd ever met after meeting his family. He couldn't reconcile the toughness of his play with his upbringing (not football people and waaay too nice...was not said as a criticism BTW). Actually everything he said about him has come true. He was very conflicted about if he'd make it due to skill flaws but from what I took away was that by dint of his personality he had everything crossed for the young man to succeed.
I was really impressed by some of his kicks last night. His hit up to King when he put it into the space was a high quality kick.

Jack Steele top 5 midfielder , not just top ten. With a bit of luck , could be our next Brownlow Medalist. In awe of his constant improvement , and ability to lead by his actions , and at times carry our team. Love the guy.

Zak Jones is exactly the reason why you back your best players.

It's amazing how quickly people forget how good he was for us last year.

He also came into his first game underdone with a limited pre season.

He will never be an elite mid but he is a very good player that offers a point of difference from all our other mids.

His clearance work is terrific when he's up and about. He was one of the main reasons for turning that match. He mad the Eagles mids look very slow at times.

In the cold light of day, after watching the replay, our win doesn't seem the miraculous comeback it felt like at the time.

In fact I'd argue that we were in it from beginning to end, save for the final 7 mins of the first two quarters where the Eagles piled on their goals. Bearing in mind that we took our foot of the pedal for the final 12 mins of Q4, might it be possible that the team is still more tuned to the shorter quarters of last year?

Anyway, apart from those late WCE goals in the first two quarters, plus some moments of misfortune and a couple of brain farts we were clearly the better side yesterday.

The Eagles are nowhere near as strong once they cross the desert. And us?

Can't wait to find out if we can sustain this, starting with Maddie's Match in a few days. Hope Bytel is good to go.

Last edited:
Zak Jones is exactly the reason why you back your best players.

It's amazing how quickly people forget how good he was for us last year.

He also came into his first game underdone with a limited pre season.

He will never be an elite mid but he is a very good player that offers a point of difference from all our other mids.

His clearance work is terrific when he's up and about. He was one of the main reasons for turning that match. He mad the Eagles mids look very slow at times.
And despite playing mostly on the wing in that first game back, he was equal-1st for us for pressure points, and equal-2nd on the ground.

My favourite Jack Steele stats are he’s averaging 13.8 contested touches a game and 1.2 goals a game. Forget A grade that’s approaching elite category.

I think when you’ve got so many options you can fall into the trap of over rotating. Steele and Crouch should be the starting points in the middle with Jones for pace, then you have the odd rotation. Let the players settle for a while.

This Billings is the best version of him since 2017. Cheap crap touches in the backline is not. Loving his work.

I’ve probably been McKenzie’s biggest critic but that was probably his best game since 2016 when I was super high on him. Needs to keep it up.

I hope this doesn’t cover up the fact that we’ve got major defensive issues. Don’t know how many times WC had three spare players yet our defenders were always caught one on one. It needs to be fixed.

From the thread on Hill on the main board:

He did that in one of the games. I actually thought he might. Could have been the GWS game he pulled up a bit sore after.

In the cold light of day, after watching the replay, our win doesn't seem the miraculous comeback it felt like at the time.

In fact I'd argue that we were in it from beginning to end, save for the final 7 mins of the first two quarters where the Eagles piled on their goals. Bearing in mind that we took our foot of the pedal for the final 12 mins of Q4, might it be possible that the team is still more tuned to the shorter quarters of last year?

Anyway, apart from those late WCE goals in the first two quarters, plus some moments of misfortune and a couple of brain farts we were clearly the better side yesterday.

The Eagles are nowhere near as strong once they cross the desert. And us?

Can't wait to find out if we can sustain this, starting with Maddie's Match in a few days. Hope Bytel is good to go.

This is what I got from it watching originally.

Contest wise, we were in, quantitative wise, we were in, on the transition and spread and cleanliness were out.

As soon as that tide shifted, if it ever did, the Eagles were cactus and I was quietly confident after the Eagles didn't extend their lead further, that we had "enough" to at least challenge.

Then of course we fail a bit since more behinds than goals, but what people didn't notice much was that the Eagles did SFA in response. So we were in if we could convert, which we did in the last.

It just came from "nowhere" since the last 2 rounds have been sub par effort, finish and general play, and in the beginning of the match we sured up a bit in general play but still were killed once it left the contest, we just needed to keep it contested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back