Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

By saying Mccerry and Macrae are already better then Him

You can't just say that, because I rate some players higher than others, I've defaulted to labelling the latter names as duds. (I only call dud players duds after watching them enough.)

I've created a pecking order in my head based on adaptability and skill level.

When he's got the pill.. natural instinct is to look forward and not back.. he doesn't piss fart around with it.. some really nice entries in to the 50. Real conviction in the way he moves.. if it's not a forward 50 entry.. it's that beauty of a handball he did over his scon to a bloke running past him.

that used to be the instinct of all our players....until....alas

18 disposals for a first gamer in the middle against WCE at their home ground was a damn good start. A few tackles added to that would have finished me off.

To be fair ...

... coaches keep things very simple for young players, getting them to focus on very simple, singular objectives. It helps the player deal with the awe of the occasion, and it gets the player into the mode of “playing their role”.

Fair chance Macrae’s instructions would have been something along the lines of “don’t worry about tackling or kicking goals, your sole job is to ...”. When Macrae goes through his tape with his coaches this week, they’ll be focusing on how well he followed instructions, rather than how well rounded his game was.

By contrast McCreary’s task last week would clearly have been to apply pressure in the forward line - tackle count being just one measure of that. The goal he kicked was clearly an opportunistic one.

As players develop and get more games into them, their role will expand and become more well rounded.

To illustrate the point, even a player of Scott Pendlebury’s experience strives to add further layers to his game each year.

Last edited:

Great debut from Macrae. Has a lot of similarities to his brother.

Fin looked really clean by hand, hard at the contest and his kicking will no doubt improve as he plays more games at the top level.

Okay.

I wasn't having a go at him BTW nor was I accusatorial.
No, I know. But it’s best to know early on that he can read a bit too much in to things to help keep your patience up. Most of us have lost patience at him at one stage or another, myself included, and we probably shouldn’t given the reasons why is is the way he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 out of 3 make it. Never in the history of our draft have they all made it. Saying they all make it is head in the sand stuff.
You never know. In 2006, we got 6 players who played in our 2010 flag + Brad Dick and Marty Clarke - who may have been there, if it wasn't for physical issues.

How does this guy last to pick 19, he's a clone of his brother and comes from very good stock!

COVID. Like his brother he’d have shot up the board with his final U18 year because he finds the ball and would have dominated as a top ager.

COVID. Like his brother he’d have shot up the board with his final U18 year because he finds the ball and would have dominated as a top ager.
I think you're right. He looked really smart. But due to covid, you had a kid who looks physically middle of the road and didn't have the high level of production of his top age year to push him high.

1 out of 3 make it. Never in the history of our draft have they all made it. Saying they all make it is head in the sand stuff.
WCE picked Jarrod Brander, Oscar Allen, Liam Ryan and Jack Petruccelle in the 2017 draft.

To be fair ...

... coaches keep things very simple for young players, getting them to focus on very simple, singular objectives. It helps the player deal with the awe of the occasion, and it gets the player into the mode of “playing their role”.

Fair chance Macrae’s instructions would have been something along the lines of “don’t worry about tackling or kicking goals, your sole job is to ...”. When Macrae goes through his tape with his coaches this week, they’ll be focusing on how well he followed instructions, rather than how well rounded his game was.

By contrast McCreary’s task last week would clearly have been to apply pressure in the forward line - tackle count being just one measure of that. The goal he kicked was clearly an opportunistic one.

As players develop and get more games into them, their role will expand and become more well rounded.

To illustrate the point, even a player of Scott Pendlebury’s experience strives to add further layers to his game each year.
Way too cerebral for this board mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back