Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall, this board is skewed severely and unhelpfully towards 'head in the sand', delusional positivity. I guess it's to make people feel good? ... I find it almost as insufferable as the opposite end of the spectrum, yet it is celebrated. Probably explains a lot of the post-game melts too - Alain de Button would say those melting are the most optimistic (I think!). There is obviously some equally delusional feeling that a positive mindset here is going to rub off on the club .... and that the reverse is also true. Reality of where the club is at, in my view, is definitely closer to the cynical/negative side of the spectrum.. To borrow from the great David Byrne: "we're on a road to nowhere".

I didn't think
we were impressive against the Dockers - they were insipid. Kangaroos would have beaten them that day ... I also didn't think H was impressive, despite the goals. Still weak as in the contest. Stand by what I said a few weeks ago - unless he can become physically strong and brave in the contest, I'm open to offers. Last night, he probably had his strongest contest yet in the pack collision... But it was one contest - nowhere near good enough. Lachie Jones, in game 2, went harder at the contest than the majority of our players - and that's the truth. We were ugly against the Suns and we are not in the league of 'good teams win ugly'. We were atrocious against the Pies and awful last night. Port were never losing that game. They didn't even play amazingly well by their standards - they just did what needed to be done.

At the season outset, I was disappointed by team selection and nothing has changed, so I've been able to watch the games very unemotionally. Instead, I wonder 'what am I actually watching?' ... bc we're not playing a team building for a premiership (team selection/line-up); we don't have a 'brand' (hate that word, but easiest way to convey what I mean) - we're not brave or ruthless or anything else. Unfortunately, now injuries are playing a part and we can barely choose a team that might actually have one eye on a flag, but as I said pre-season I'd still be playing more young guys - nothing to lose in that regard; we need to see what we've got, we need players who can kick. Personally, I thought what we gave up for Saad was too much for where we're at and for that 'type' of player and although he's a good player, I still think it was a mistake. It's almost like 10 years ago where the Club overrated where the team was at, and as fans, we could see it.

The Club is all over the shop at the moment - confused about where we sit, confused about where we're going, confused about what we stand for .. it shows in team-selection and it shows the way the team goes about it on game-day.

You need to take a BEX and have a good lie down - oh and spare me your nuff nuffery.
How about instead of opining and whining - you actually have a look at facts and then put these facts into some perspective and from there start to specualte something greater than a bunch of whiny nonsense.

OR

why not buy a Tuggers membership and rejoice in their maginificence.

I love reading thoughtful criticism indicative of some effort on teh part of the person - but this muck and so many other similar posts are just that - useless, thoughtless MUCK.

Think of this as a metaphorical bitch slap - bitch.

Or consider that maybe we don't have a team that is realistically capable of beating the very best opposition. Port is more than a 'decent' side at the moment, it is one of the best in the competition. They beat Richmond last week, even with a couple of injuries they are a better side.

Our performance against them was inexcusable, we should have done better than that but we are what we are still a middle of the road team. We might sneak into the bottom of the eight but against the best sides, forget it. There's a lot of teams in the same position as we are.

I think people lose their minds here because their own expectations are set way too high. We were never going to be one of the top sides yet. This year was never about being genuine contenders. We have quite a way to go yet.

The problem isn't that we're losing against good sides, it's that our system doesn't even give us a chance to compete.

You need to take a BEX and have a good lie down - oh and spare me your nuff nuffery.
How about instead of opining and whining - you actually have a look at facts and then put these facts into some perspective and from there start to specualte something greater than a bunch of whiny nonsense.

OR

why not buy a Tuggers membership and rejoice in their maginificence.

I love reading thoughtful criticism indicative of some effort on teh part of the person - but this muck and so many other similar posts are just that - useless, thoughtless MUCK.

Think of this as a metaphorical b*tch slap - b*tch.

:openmouth: Pot calling the kettle black, much?? :tearsofjoy: If anything, you're just proving my point, so :thumbsu: for that. I'm not feeling personally stressed about it at all tbh.

Do you really need me to point out relevant facts? .. Where would you like me to start?

:openmouth: Pot calling the kettle black, much?? :tearsofjoy: If anything, you're just proving my point, so :thumbsu: for that. I'm not feeling personally stressed about it at all tbh.

Do you really need me to point out relevant facts? .. Where would you like me to start?
Wherever you like mate. Pick any stats you like. Just leave the whining aside- start a thread for whiny nuff nuffery if you like and invite all yoru nuff nuffs in there.

As serviceable as Newnes has been this season, he must go to the 2’s.. his efforts were borderline disgraceful. Play Ramsay, Cunningham and Dow OR LOB. Consider Kennedy as a 3rd tall. Gov to go back.

IN:
Ramsay, Cuningham, Dow

OUT:
Williamson, Newnes, Betts

One of the most frustrating things about this team is that when we get it inside 50, NO ONE wants to kick the goal. I've never seen a side so allergic to taking a shot at goal. We'd have to be number for average disposals inside 50 per goal.

Except for Gibbo, who wants to take a shot when it's not the right option

Williamson misread that ball and if he had of read it he would have intercepted the mark.
He sure misreads the ball a lot...

He is worried about contact. It's been painfully obvious all year.

Williamson wanted to kick it and I suspect had no-one ahead of him. That would be our sh*t structure.
This I don't disagree with.

Small things to improve but wasn't necessarily shocking play by him.
This I do. We're not winning finals or even making them with these types of efforts.

Wherever you like mate. Pick any stats you like. Just leave the whining aside- start a thread for whiny nuff nuffery if you like and invite all yoru nuff nuffs in there.

:rolleyes: Going down the negative language route - offer a less than optimistic (or realistic) view and you're a 'whining' 'nuff nuff' ... Keep proving my point :thumbsu:

If the board would prefer a separate thread where we are capable of discussing the Club without the inferiority complex that seems to inflict some posters, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
He sure misreads the ball a lot...

He is worried about contact. It's been painfully obvious all year.

This I don't disagree with.

This I do. We're not winning finals or even making them with these types of efforts.
Definetly been a shadow of the bloke who played for us in his debut year. Another player who has stagnated. Or maybe this is what he is....

Another player on our list with questions if they are AFL standard....the list gets bigger each week

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I took from the Williamson coming out of defense was Walsh wanting the handball rather than put a block on (something all the AFL do, shepherding is almost non existent in footy today)

Maybe cos Walsh saw that there were three loose carlton players to Willo’s right, where Willo seemingly hadn’t even looked

Do you think the great, elite Murphy will accept getting dropped? After all he is on his way to 300.

A less deserving player I have never seen.
Agree with poster's regarding cannot plat two slow old hacks in forward line. I would argue that Eddie is far more useful than Murph. Marc needs to put the club first and realise he is done.

As serviceable as Newnes has been this season, he must go to the 2’s.. his efforts were borderline disgraceful. Play Ramsay, Cunningham and Dow OR LOB. Consider Kennedy as a 3rd tall. Gov to go back.

IN:
Ramsay, Cuningham, Dow

OUT:
Williamson, Newnes, Betts

I don't like giving a player one week then dropping them, prefer Willo gets another go. Wouldn't mind if SPS got dropped to the resies; play him on the ball for three weeks, learn the mid structure/set ups and if playing well he comes back in to play mid/HF.
Seems like a great guy, liked by team mates etc. It's just not working having him play in the backline. Newman would push him out in a couple of weeks anyway - gee we need him back in

It's a shame that Dow's development has not been optimised. He literally showed more in his first pre-season match against St Kilda than he has this year, which is ******* bewildering and an indictment on the club.

At 3:09, that's why we drafted him. Didn't fumble, body behind the ball, breakaway from stoppage, and lace out delivery. He has somehow de-skilled from the age of 18 to 21-22.

I still flick on the highlights of his game against Geelong in his first year, and he looks a completely different player, even in his mannerisms. Looks effortless, head over the ball, quick handballs and smart leads into space.

These days he’s shitscared of making any decision in case it’s the wrong one.

His formline, and lack of development IMO says more about the club than it does about Dow. There’s always anomalies for first round picks not making the grade, but he’s a real head scratcher. Brisbane were contemplating taking him Pick 1, so it’s not as though it’s our talent ID. We’ve somehow managed to turn a talented, universally rated junior midfielder into a complete shell.

Williamson's stagnation is concerning. He looks way off the pace physically. Consistently trailing his man, and doesn't have the confidence to make any plays, a complete liability at AFL level, and a shadow of the arrogance we saw in year 1.

It was a 'forced' selection that shouldn't have happened, the MC mistakenly thought he could rotate between Gray or Fantasia.

Stagnation? I wish.
No, he's gone backwards at a rate of knots.

I still flick on the highlights of his game against Geelong in his first year, and he looks a completely different player, even in his mannerisms. Looks effortless, head over the ball, quick handballs and smart leads into space.

These days he’s shitscared of making any decision in case it’s the wrong one.

His formline, and lack of development IMO says more about the club than it does about Dow. There’s always anomalies for first round picks not making the grade, but he’s a real head scratcher. Brisbane were contemplating taking him Pick 1, so it’s not as though it’s our talent ID. We’ve somehow managed to turn a talented, universally rated junior midfielder into a complete shell.

It's an absolute disaster. I'm not sure what the statistics are, but anecdotally, I'd imagine that if an early 1st round midfielder hasn't established themselves as an AFL footballer by 4th year, their future in the league is grim.

It's horrific. We draft these universally talented footballers and shift the responsibility of their development to John Barker and Brent Stanton. Compound that with Teague's rigid and unimaginative midfield rotations. It's criminal.

Put a block on and he might see it and he won't be under immediate pressure.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Looks like Walsh would’ve had to dart ahead of willo in the same direction he was heading, which was sadly leftward. Reckon he had at least 2 short options on his right + a decent chain after that, and he appeared to barely even glance that way

Back