Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You realise all coaches do this right? They do a post game interview every week and ones during the week as well.

They're not going to publicly shame individual players or give away too much so of course it gets repetitive.
yeah, to an extent. I think our last few have been a bit more vanilla and havent hidden the script as well as some others.

No, Cripps is a Captain. Of course it's his job to kick a gimme when the team needs it.
And it's not like he was playing well in the guts last night either. He's completely forgotten his role, he's trying to be Dusty. His decision making was abysmal. And that's the standard that the team followed.

Bingo, I think it’s a combination of a few things:

- used to being our leading light for so long, thinks he needs to be superman and run through 15 players and kick an amazing goal to lift the team when we are down. Probably frustration too.

- I think the missed goal played on him last night, and when that happens he often tries too hard to make amends, but instead of doing it by playing his role and bringing others into the game he tries to do it all himself.

- not sure he knows what sort of captain he wants to be, seems very intense and hard on himself which then bleeds through to the rest of the team, he makes mistakes and then begins to get frustrated/panicky and it flows through the team.

Bingo, I think it’s a combination of a few things:

- used to being our leading light for so long, thinks he needs to be superman and run through 15 players and kick an amazing goal to lift the team when we are down. Probably frustration too.

- I think the missed goal played on him last night, and when that happens he often tries too hard to make amends, but instead of doing it by playing his role and bringing others into the game he tries to do it all himself.

- not sure he knows what sort of captain he wants to be, seems very intense and hard on himself which then bleeds through to the rest of the team, he makes mistakes and then begins to get frustrated/panicky and it flows through the team.

He was so good in 2019 though

The amount of posters saying

"It was only 28 points and they are a premiership contender"

Makes me very, very sick.

We've been so bad for so long we just expect to lose as a supporter base now. Its just so sad

I’m very disappointed but 28 points is better than losing by 86 and having percentage ruined like St Kilda.

Need to beat Brisbane and Essendon, but think we will win one of the two, we seemingly can’t ever have a positive win loss record.

Can you imagine how our team would look if it just concentrated on getting the basics right for 4 qtrs? THE BASICS.

Not even all the basics just some.. pressure at the contest, tackle, lead, spoil and kick and handball to advantage and within your abilities/when it feels like low % it is, take the basic option.

Too many of our team watching Dusty and co and not enough watching Astbury, Baker, Broad, Mackintosh, Aarts and co. Also goes for the coaches.

I am not there of course but part of me thinks Murphy’s banana from The Suns game was on high rotation this week, while Parks disciplined, boring running to cover his man was not seen quite as much

He was so good in 2019 though
Yes, he slimmed down for 2020, and maybe a combination of being more banged up injury wise has had an effect too.

If Crippa turns out to be Kouta MKII, in that he had that one year where he was heads and shoulders the best player in the comp, unanimous MVP, should've won the Brownlow, etc., but then is never able to recapture that form, I will be ******* devo.

I'm gonna have nightmares tonight thinking about it, I can feel it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you were talking about Cripps when I read your previous post. Cripps sets the tone ... yes. Should he be the one setting the tone? I'd argue no. A big part of our issues is Cripps' ambition outweighing his abilities. He wants to be the one to provide a team lifting captain's goal, but if 3 goals go begging before he succeeds with his efforts, is it a positive or a negative?

Doc's mistakes hurt us because he's a defender. It's easier to cover up your mistakes when we're not giving up a goal to the opposition from them.

If I was to trust anybody going forward, it is Walsh. His goalkicking isn't reliable either but he will lower his eyes and he will sum up the percentages faster than any of our other players.

I still see Doc being a general back there and taking responsibility. For every glaring error you see, you'd probably miss a few goal saving gathers, efforts, taps and bumps. You'd miss the on field direction and setting of the backline. Doc might be understated, but he does set the tone in his area of the ground.
As much as I love Cripps in the team, I am beginning to think he is a big part of the problem.

Yes some people think he’s basically finished, he is still easily in our top 10 players, just hasn’t quite got to his pre knee injury form. I think part of that is our defensive structures as well, he was a lot better when we had Parks to play that 3rd tall role last couple of weeks.
As was SPS.

Well he should've been leading up the ground to provide an option for us to move the ball from half back. He didn't have to stay flat footed.

People are saying we used the ball terribly, but there was never any options to be able to use the ball well. We'd switch and there'd be the same stagnant terrible options on the other side of the ground
Too stagnant.

Not enough movement off the ball in all parts of the ground. No one moving to make space more than 30-40m from the ball.

Why would you run to make space or get seperation from your man when you know the blokes up the ground are going to turn it over?

As much as I love Cripps in the team, I am beginning to think he is a big part of the problem.

He's a big part of any future success, but he has to play the role he is best at. He's a clearance and stoppage beast and that's where we need him.

Zac Williams is not a big player and is not a clearance player as much as he wants to be. His disposal in tight is as bad as Ed Curnow's. Williams has another position he can play, whereas Ed really doesn't so we can move Zac for the betterment of the team.

We are simply playing players where they don't want to play because they are diminished by certain positions, or we play the big money players wherever they damn well please and they simply aren't up to it.

Time to take control and put the team first.

He's just not fit. Looked cooked 10min into the 1st qtr. Like he had concrete boots on.

Half back in place of SPS and play SPS in the guts because he works well in traffic and his dinky kicks to outside runners would actually pay off.

For sure.
But it doesn't excuse they way we move the ball through the middle of the ground, or allow the opposition to move the ball though the middle of the ground.

Yeah our system looked off...the ball carrier and guys up the field weren't on the same page a lot of the night.

I will say though that I felt a lot of ports good ball movement came from our turnovers...especially in the second and third quarters cause we had run forward and were out of position so they found space. At least some portion of that can actually be blamed on the fact we had 4 first choice forwards out...so instead of a score for us there was a turnover because we lacked cohesion, our mids then were out of position and they go coast to coast.

If Crippa turns out to be Kouta MKII, in that he had that one year where he was heads and shoulders the best player in the comp, unanimous MVP, should've won the Brownlow, etc., but then is never able to recapture that form, I will be ******* devo.

I'm gonna have nightmares tonight thinking about it, I can feel it.

The difference is, despite whatever injuries he's currently playing with, Cripps is physically capable of playing to that level. It's currently about his mindset.

Yeah our system looked off...the ball carrier and guys up the field weren't on the same page a lot of the night.

I will say though that I felt a lot of ports good ball movement came from our turnovers...especially in the second and third quarters cause we had run forward and were out of position so they found space. At least some portion of that can actually be blamed on the fact we had 4 first choice forwards out...so instead of a score for us there was a turnover because we lacked cohesion, our mids then were out of position and they go coast to coast.

And the issue of our structural problem is that we can't punish our opposition on their turnovers in the same way that they punish us.

For sure some of it is due to those missing forwards (* our team plays so much better with Jack there), but a lot of it is due to our positioning and the way we spread between the arcs.

When the entire team is making poor decisions with the ball, it's more about the structures and the coaching than it is about the players.
I disagree it's the entire team making poor decisions, it's often the same players but I don't disagree that poor coaching and structures are part of the problem. But good players adjust to the fact that often systems and/or structures aren't working as intended and you just have to deal with how things are going at any given time but regardless none of that excuses the often disgraceful ball use which regardless of anything else is inexcusable and just highlights that some of our players are just not going to take us where we all want to go.

He's a big part of any future success, but he has to play the role he is best at. He's a clearance and stoppage beast and that's where we need him.

Zac Williams is not a big player and is not a clearance player as much as he wants to be. His disposal in tight is as bad as Ed Curnow's. Williams has another position he can play, whereas Ed really doesn't so we can move Zac for the betterment of the team.

We are simply playing players where they don't want to play because they are diminished by certain positions, or we play the big money players wherever they damn well please and they simply aren't up to it.

Time to take control and put the team first.

Early days, but giving Williams such a big contract that is midfielder money not half back flanker money, largely on the back of one standout midfield game vs Collingwood was always a bit risky and questionable.

He's only 3 games in at a new club and playing mid...he's been ok but not starring...too early to move him to defence. We aren't paying him the big bucks to play defence and we have other players t cover those positions.

Keep him in the middle, our midfield needs him more than our back line and hopefully he grows in the role. 3 games in the cohesion with our other mids and forwards might not quite be there yet.

Back