Preview Round 6, 2021: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Sunday 25th April, 6:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Power

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 32.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the biggest deal but it's a reasonable discussion. It's hindsight, but that doesn't mitigate any missed opportunities by the club. Hind has put together a better five weeks of footy than Long has at any stage in his career. It's not about blaming the club in my opinion or burning everything down. I would hope that the club reflects on each player management/list management decision though.

I think it was a bit unlucky really. He came in on the back of half back/wing VFL form and played a few good games forward which became a constant yardstick that we hoped he would get to. The mistake was hanging onto that hope for him as a forward for too long instead of reverting to him as a defender.
Who was he replacing though. His form got him a chance but we had better hbf. Essendon don’t and the reason he would get a chance now is only through injury. Back then though he either played forward or didn’t play.

It's not about this year though is it. List management is about having 25 guys that can all play to a high standard with depth across the lines and quality on every line. The Dogs have done it beautifully, they have maybe one hole on their list and so much depth and quality. They have given themselves every chance at another premiership. You can see how they strategically built a list. We grab at things, discard them, chase the next thing, then off after another. I honestly can't tell what our strategy is. We pretty much have holes across every line except the ruck and as Ryder retires we'll have another hole. Hill was a massive fu** up and cost us a couple of years of drafting and maybe then perhaps he was the type we'd have strong need for.

The Dogs list depth is far and away the league outlier, so comparing to them is unfair. Our depth and list profile is definitely no worse than league average, we just so happen to have horrendous injuries.

And on the Dogs, yes they have nailed their early draft picks (Macrae, Bailey Smith, Naughton, Dunkley etc.).

But they've also been gifted father sons (Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis, Libba), academy freaks (Jamarra Ugle Hagan), lucked out with Bont (pick 4 turned out to be far and away the best pick to have in that draft because the unanimous top 3 picks in the draft happened to be worse than the fourth best), lucked out with Treloar, lucked out with Caleb Daniel (any draft pick in the 50s is a punt).

And then let's not pretend that they haven't had their fare share of trade * ups. Tom Boyd, Josh Schache, Josh Bruce (it's only a matter of time before he's out of the team).

Can you imagine if instead of using draft picks we got three of our best mids and our once in a generation key forward from father sons and academy selections!? All we've ever got was Bailey ******* Rice. And to top it all off, they manage to be the first team in modern history to fluke a premiership.

So no, we are not going to be replicating the Bulldogs.

Who was he replacing though. His form got him a chance but we had better hbf. Essendon don’t and the reason he would get a chance now is only through injury. Back then though he either played forward or didn’t play.
Yeah circumstance is definitely a big part of it. Some players just work out and some clubs and not others. I would've given him a chance over Long, who doesn't actually do all that much, but I know Long has plenty of fans around here.

Yeah circumstance is definitely a big part of it. Some players just work out and some clubs and not others. I would've given him a chance over Long, who doesn't actually do all that much, but I know Long has plenty of fans around here.
Yes he would play above long now for sure but I don’t think there was a spot back then. If there was he wouldn’t have had to play forward.

Might be confusing my draftees.

Who played in the North and Carlton praccy games? Him or highmore?

Either way.
That’s highmore - he also played in rounds one and two I think

Same, but there's a fair bit of chatter from the various club media pieces.
Have a listen to Ratts' presser..
Iv been his biggest fan on here and want him to play but just not yet , play him against the Hawks next week i say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasnt playing good enough football to warrant Hill being dropped last year and then somehow forcing himself into the midfield.

And when Clark did play through the midfield in the last few games, we still had Paton, Geary, Long, Coffield, Wilkie, Howard and Carlisle taking up the 7 backline spots. And Savage was playing well enough to be the first in-line replacement. Based off some comments with Lethlean last year as well, Webster was also ahead of Hind in the pecking order if he could get a good run at it with his body.

Why would Hind want to stay somewhere where he was behind that many players in his chosen position and would either need to fight for a backline spot or fight for a small forward spot when he could walk into Essendon and play straight away?

It has nothing to do with development. Hind just wasnt as good as the players we already had playing in that position.
I would have kept Phillips over Hind and developed him a bit more as an outside runner- he was a player who stagnated under Richo sadly. Anyway why are we discussing players who have left the club. We is what we is right now.

LOL yes he does
Its just what he does
So you don’t think Carlisle can ruck even though he basically broke level with nit Nat. The slightest chance and you go for it even if the point I make you actually agree with. Not saying you do this time. I have an idea. Worry about your own posting

weird.

So you don’t think Carlisle can ruck even though he basically broke level with nit Nat. The slightest chance and you go for it even if the point I make you actually agree with. Not saying you do this time. I have an idea. Worry about your own posting

weird.
Carlisle has proved to be a competent second ruck over his career, nowhere near a number one, but solid enough to provide back up.
No idea what was going through his head against Pickett, but then again , no idea what was going through most of our players heads against Richmond.
Pretty sure they worry about him playing down back if having to be accountable one on one. Great player back time has caught up with him.

weird.
I didn't think you listened or read anything what I said ? which is what you posted the other day

Strange

Just mucking about having a bit of fun LOL

Let me save you the trouble

That should get you a few likes LOL

I didn't think you listened or read anything what I said ? which is what you posted the other day

Strange

Just mucking about having a bit of fun LOL

Let me save you the trouble

That should get you a few likes LOL
As certain as night becomes day. And I’ve never listened to anything you have said but that goes for everyone else as well.

It isn’t arguing if you make a stupid comment. Carlisle can certainly ruck. His 2 previous games prove that. I will guess if he is losing hit outs to a midget which he certainly did then there were reasons like the 5 break. You don’t break level with nit Nat and lose to a small guy without reason. That’s just common sense.
He is at best a slight statistical improvement on Paul Hunter this season who has been labelled as useless. both have played as ruckman.

Both have a record of 1 win and 2 losses from their 3 games.

don’t talk s**t and make up a narrative. We have been good awful in the centre in all but one game.

guess who played that one?

marshall.

and in the 4 he hasn’t played, of which Atleast one of Hunter or Carlisle have played in. We have been slapped and uncompetitive in the midfield bar periods of round 1.

Sorry to stick my head in but...

When do you guys fly out?

Any news on J.Webster and P.Hunter playing?

Webster was said to be 50/50 by Ratten yday and given a chance later in the week

B.Lade didnt seem to rule out P.Hunter on SEN either

Hind was also poor last year. Anyway neither of hind or savage are making any difference to our 3 losses.
Maybe...but he showed plenty of signs....as he obviously is for Essendon...there were a few others that should have gone before him but I guess nobody wants anything much to do with what we can do without!

I think you're imagining things, he was given far too many games given his form.

He had 4 goal assists for the year and had 16 shots on goal for 6 goals.

Go watch highlight reels he's involved in a heap of goals.

Sorry to stick my head in but...

When do you guys fly out?

Any news on J.Webster and P.Hunter playing?

Webster was said to be 50/50 by Ratten yday and given a chance later in the week

B.Lade didnt seem to rule out P.Hunter on SEN either
Sunday morning.

Think both will miss.

The Dogs list depth is far and away the league outlier, so comparing to them is unfair. Our depth and list profile is definitely no worse than league average, we just so happen to have horrendous injuries.

And on the Dogs, yes they have nailed their early draft picks (Macrae, Bailey Smith, Naughton, Dunkley etc.).

But they've also been gifted father sons (Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis, Libba), academy freaks (Jamarra Ugle Hagan), lucked out with Bont (pick 4 turned out to be far and away the best pick to have in that draft because the unanimous top 3 picks in the draft happened to be worse than the fourth best), lucked out with Treloar, lucked out with Caleb Daniel (any draft pick in the 50s is a punt).

And then let's not pretend that they haven't had their fare share of trade fu** ups. Tom Boyd, Josh Schache, Josh Bruce (it's only a matter of time before he's out of the team).

Can you imagine if instead of using draft picks we got three of our best mids and our once in a generation key forward from father sons and academy selections!? All we've ever got was Bailey ******* Rice. And to top it all off, they manage to be the first team in modern history to fluke a premiership.

So no, we are not going to be replicating the Bulldogs.

Josh Bruce is pretty much exactly what they wanted. He'll lose his spot to Ugle-Hagen but that's because he's a number one pick and is going to be a massive upgrade.

We are happy being mediocre club obviously. Most fans seem happy to not be s**t more than aim high. We are so conditioned to being the worst at everything that when the people administrating the club aren't breaking anything we get excited. I honestly doubt I'll ever see a premiership from this club and will settle for them not humiliating us too by the way.

Paying the people to fix drafting and trading by bringing in quality would be an obvious start. Lethlean was a media manager at the AFL, the AFL were concerned enough to send him in to protect their investment. Unfortunately we ended up with the AFLs little problem instead of an experienced operator like Brisbane and Melbourne got. He might end up doing really well at his job and he gets stuff done but why can't we ever have the best of anything?

I'm so tired of waiting for this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back