Mod. Notice Negativity Towards the Club and Personal Attacks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi legends,

We want to clarify our position about the negativity that has inundated this board and the personal attacks that seem to follow as a result. The mods are posters too and we have found that this has affected our own enjoyment of our online community.

It's perfectly reasonable to criticise the club, heaven knows they've done their best to give us reasons. :) Salary cap, selection, recruiting, game plan... the list goes on. As passionate supporters we want to discuss our views which may not always be favourable.

Having said that, there are posters that will take pot-shots at the club no matter what the topic of discussion is. They disappear after a win only to show up with the same bile after a loss. They never balance that with any praise for a player or any enjoyment from seeing Collingwood do well.

That type of poster will face a different experience on this board from now on. This serves as fair notice.

We need to tackle this as a community, so it's perfectly valid for others to call this behaviour out without insulting or attacking the poster in question. This brings us to the second part of this post.

Buying into tiffs between other posters by saying "What would you expect poster X is a flog", is not on; it isn't helpful at all and just leads to further conflict.

This forum has been a part of my life since 2010 (I lurked for a year) and it has been an amazing resource. It's up to us to set the tone and the standard.

Cheers,
J for and on behalf of the mod. team

Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I'll view that as a concession that the rules are flawed because the rules cannot possibly include everyone's view
The rules are not flawed.
However you are correct that they are open to interpretation, that’s how life works.
Think of umpiring as an example.
Or when you’ve had to ask someone in authority to bend the rules/let you off something?
We’ll leave it at that.

Back on topic - all that remains is for people to not be trolls, (choose your own definition) and thus avoid any of us having to interpret the rules.

PS: A troll has many guises, (my view) doesn’t contribute anything worthwhile, constantly bangs on about the same thing, has to win the argument and generally detracts from the board; making it a less enjoyable place to be.

Back on topic - all that remains is for people to not be trolls, (choose your own definition) and thus avoid any of us having to interpret the rules.

PS: A troll has many guises, (my view) doesn’t contribute anything worthwhile, constantly bangs on about the same thing, has to win the argument and generally detracts from the board; making it a less enjoyable place to be.
Wikipedia entry on ‘Trolls’ goes on to say ...“Trolls are yet to develop a way to circumvent the ‘ignore’ option. Choosing to ignore Trolls remains the most effective way of mitigating trolling”. Wikipedia would never lie to us.

Last edited:
Wikipedia entry on ‘Trolls’ goes on to say ...“Trolls are yet to develop a way to circumvent the ‘ignore’ option. Choosing to ignore Trolls remains the most affective way in mitigating trolling”. Wikipedia would never lie to us.

The wisdom of wikipedia is undeniably powerful.

The ignore option remains available if one prefers that course of action. It is not mutually exclusive to what we're aiming at.

Hi legends,

We want to clarify our position about the negativity that has inundated this board and the personal attacks that seem to follow as a result. The mods are posters too and we have found that this has affected our own enjoyment of our online community.

It's perfectly reasonable to criticise the club, heaven knows they've done their best to give us reasons. :) Salary cap, selection, recruiting, game plan... the list goes on. As passionate supporters we want to discuss our views which may not always be favourable.

Having said that, there are posters that will take pot-shots at the club no matter what the topic of discussion is. They disappear after a win only to show up with the same bile after a loss. They never balance that with any praise for a player or any enjoyment from seeing Collingwood do well.

That type of poster will face a different experience on this board from now on. This serves as fair notice.

We need to tackle this as a community, so it's perfectly valid for others to call this behaviour out without insulting or attacking the poster in question. This brings us to the second part of this post.

Buying into tiffs between other posters by saying "What would you expect poster X is a flog", is not on; it isn't helpful at all and just leads to further conflict.

This forum has been a part of my life since 2010 (I lurked for a year) and it has been an amazing resource. It's up to us to set the tone and the standard.

Cheers,
J for and on behalf of the mod. team

Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5
Here here, it's about ******* time this was said by a mod. My enjoyment of using this site has gone down too over the last few years, mainly because of these trolls you speak of. Flush em' out. Oh, Bruzzy agrees too

Jathanas - just as a clarification . . .

If a poster constantly skirts the bleeding edge of permissibility this new attitude still seems to allow them to continue posting.

I'm sure the mods are well aware there are an unspecified number of cunning little types who have been doing this for as long as I have been on this board.

Again I know actioning someone who is - within the rules by a miniscule - a fraught issue.

However . . . other posters - especially new posters - see this behavior and it's lack of consequences and get tempted.

So the mods are in a position of running around like smoky the bear trying to stamp out embers whilst the true culprits remain smugly safe.

On another note I absolutely don't get this "anonymous" thing. We are all anonymous. I had an exchange with markfs where I gave everything bar my mobile and postal address. Nothing changed, I am still anonymous like the rest of you. I put it to you questioning someone's post on the basis it is anonymous has no logical foundation. I interpret it as an attempt to stifle a voice rather than address what it is saying.

I was flitting through this thread and saw my nick. Did I abuse you in some way?

I just popped in to say, I am glad you guys have done this. I have been a member of this forum since 2006-07 and I used to be on all the time. Other negative abusive posters are the reason I'm barely on the last 7 years. It's refreshing to think can come back on and not read some of the bullshit I used to.
Thanks

I just popped in to say, I am glad you guys have done this. I have been a member of this forum since 2006-07 and I used to be on all the time. Other negative abusive posters are the reason I'm barely on the last 7 years. It's refreshing to think can come back on and not read some of the bullshit I used to.
Thanks
I think that the Mods' resolve will be sorely tested this week, if the Anzac Day match autopsy thread is any guide.

I recall the exchange. Noideaatall gave you an open invitation to visit any time and your response was kind of hurtful.

well i apologise then. i do remember something in the past regarding an invitation, but i cant remember what context things were said. i used to get a lot of negative comments but less so recently. I think some people avoid me which is probably a good outcome for them. I remember that probably 6 or 7 years ago, I used to passionately defend buckley, for example, and argue with people honestly. I gave that approach away for a while and I returned to post mainly for my own entertainment.

Having said that, I dont think i've ever called people the stuff that i've been called over the journey. I might ridicule their opinions and people might take that personally. I can understand that. I'm probably old school but i've been around technology and the internet since the early 90s, but I must admit that when i'm confronted with a guy calling himself no idea at all, that I'm likely to be offhand. To me it's a banter environment. You take it and give it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jathanas - just as a clarification . . .

If a poster constantly skirts the bleeding edge of permissibility this new attitude still seems to allow them to continue posting.

I'm sure the mods are well aware there are an unspecified number of cunning little types who have been doing this for as long as I have been on this board.

Again I know actioning someone who is - within the rules by a miniscule - a fraught issue.

However . . . other posters - especially new posters - see this behavior and it's lack of consequences and get tempted.

So the mods are in a position of running around like smoky the bear trying to stamp out embers whilst the true culprits remain smugly safe.

Should we have a thread pasted at the top where mods can nominate the posters who are doing it the right way and those posting the wrong way?

Maybe they could give examples of unacceptable posts?

Should we have a thread pasted at the top where mods can nominate the posters who are doing it the right way and those posting the wrong way?

Maybe they could give examples of unacceptable posts?
Sarcasm is the last resort of . . .

Sarcasm is the last resort of . . .

i get that a lot but i was making an honest suggestion, even though i knew people would take it otherwise. instead of going on about negativity, why not do something concrete about it.

i dont think we should ban people but why not make a list of those who are seen to be undesirable. I might be on that list. I can accept that.

At the risk of being infracted, here's some negativity coz there ain't nuthin positive.

F U Collingwood, seriously, it's like you do this to yourself deliberately just to piss the fan base off for god knows what reason. Nah GAGF Collingwood.

I'd really seriously like to get the likes of Eddie, Gubby, Guy, the board and to a lesser extent Bucks, Hine, and bend em over and shove a pineapple so far up their rear that they'd poke someone in the eye every time they speak. That's being lenient in my book.

And to the players who've asked exorbitant salaries, and are still, or those who think flags aren't that important, you know who you are. That's not team spirit you can GAGF too. F O - us Pie fans who want flags don't want you!

That's how pissed off I am - rant over.

At the risk of being infracted, here's some negativity coz there ain't nuthin positive.

F U Collingwood, seriously, it's like you do this to yourself deliberately just to piss the fan base off for god knows what reason. Nah GAGF Collingwood.

I'd really seriously like to get the likes of Eddie, Gubby, Guy, the board and to a lesser extent Bucks, Hine, and bend em over and shove a pineapple so far up their rear that they'd poke someone in the eye every time they speak. That's being lenient in my book.

And to the players who've asked exorbitant salaries, and are still, or those who think flags aren't that important, you know who you are. That's not team spirit you can GAGF too. F O - us Pie fans who want flags don't want you!

That's how pissed off I am - rant over.
Can’t like this enough. We’ve gone from five minutes from winning a granny, to imploding in a prelim, getting belted albeit exhausted from travel and covid in another prelim, to an absolute basket case.

Look I get the point of all this. The Mods have to keep it positive. There are bigfooty standards like there are on reddit, or Twitter, or Facebook, and we can’t have personal attacks, or major expletives, or severely negative behaviour that would offend anyone. Even though offending someone SHOULDNT be a crime.

But you know what I am sick of? Personal opinion incoming, and I’m entitled to it, since I pay for a membership to support the club, just like anyone else here who devotes their emotional energy to seeing them succeed, rides the highs and lows, enjoys the religious experience, because that’s why people would bulk at the question “why take it so seriously, it’s just a game right?” From all the Melbourne and Richmond supporters who disappeared for decades.

This club has lost the plot. I don’t know whether it was orchestrated from within, or whether it’s just unravelled because someone fell asleep at the wheel. From the politics that saw the trade debacle, to the sacking of Eddie for no good reason (even if the bloke had some Freudian slips), to the onfield implosions and despicable results. I never thought I’d live to see the day where I knew we had bugger all chance against Gold Coast at the G, let alone anyone else, but there you go.

We have injuries, and bucks doesn’t seem to have control of the cattle we do have, but they wear the jumper, and get paid for it. They are professionals. This isn’t amateur hour anymore, and I might not do a better job, but my coffers aren’t getting filled, otherwise I’d give it a damn good shot.

Mods, please be aware there are blokes like me bleeding, and getting to the point where we become numb to it all. That’s not the state we want to be in, especially given the premiership race is opening up, and we should be in it up to our eyeballs.

this won’t get much air time given where it is posted, but I have said my peace, and I am happy to have done so.

Floreat Pica

Last edited:
Can’t like this enough. We’ve gone from five minutes from winning a granny, to imploding in a prelim, getting belted albeit exhausted from travel and covid in another prelim, to an absolute basket case.

Look I get the point of all this. The Mods have to keep it positive. There are bigfooty standards like there are on reddit, or Twitter, or Facebook, and we can’t have personal attacks, or major expletives, or severely negative behaviour that would offend anyone. Even though offending someone SHOULDNT be a crime.

But you know what I am sick of? Personal opinion incoming, and I’m entitled to it, since I pay for a membership to support the club, just like anyone else here who devotes their emotional energy to seeing them succeed, rides the highs and lows, enjoys the religious experience, because that’s why people would bulk at the question “why take it so seriously, it’s just a game right?” From all the Melbourne and Richmond supporters who disappeared for decades.

This club has lost the plot. I don’t know whether it was orchestrated from within, or whether it’s just unravelled because someone fell asleep at the wheel. From the politics that saw the trade debacle, to the sacking of Eddie for no good reason (even if the bloke had some Freudian slips), to the onfield implosions and despicable results. I never thought I’d live to see the day where I knew we had bugger all chance against Gold Coast at the G, let alone anyone else, but there you go.

We have injuries, and bucks doesn’t seem to have control of the cattle we do have, but they wear the jumper, and get paid for it. They are professionals. This isn’t amateur hour anymore, and I might not do a better job, but my coffers aren’t getting filled, otherwise I’d give it a damn good shot.

Mods, please be aware there are blokes like me bleeding, and getting to the point where we become numb to it all. That’s not the state we want to be in, especially given the premiership race is opening up, and we should be in it up to our eyeballs.

this won’t get much air time given where it is posted, but I have said my peace, and I am happy to have done so.

Floreat Pica

I agree with much of what you've said above SwanDaneFan1991. However I think that is beside the point.

The point the Mods are making in this thread is that posters who persistently criticise the club, its players and its administrators, no matter what the topic of discussion, need to pull their heads in. It's these posters who always take a negative position, no matter what the topic, and who rarely have anything constructive to say, who are being placed on notice. And rightly so, in my view and that view I'm guessing is shared by the silent majority of posters on this board.

As Jathanas wrote in his opening post on this thread:

"It's perfectly reasonable to criticise the club, heaven knows they've done their best to give us reasons. :) Salary cap, selection, recruiting, game plan... the list goes on. As passionate supporters we want to discuss our views which may not always be favourable.

That type of poster will face a different experience on this board from now on. This serves as fair notice".

I don't post here very often, usually it's only when I have something to say. I like the mods position on this. Everyone understands the frustrations of not winning. I yell at the TV as much as anyone.
Whilst I might not often post but I do peruse regularly. What I struggle with are all the posts that disparage coaches and players as 'duds' and having no clues at all. I'm dismissive of members who like to frame themselves as better coaches or talent spotters but the truth is we're all on the couch and the professionals are out there doing it.
It's no fun not winning each week, it's no fun watching avoidable skill errors that imperil the safety of my television but it's also no fun to wade through a quagmire of negativity and despair instead of looking forward to the improvement that will inevitably come. It always does.

I don't post here very often, usually it's only when I have something to say. I like the mods position on this. Everyone understands the frustrations of not winning. I yell at the TV as much as anyone.
Whilst I might not often post but I do peruse regularly. What I struggle with are all the posts that disparage coaches and players as 'duds' and having no clues at all. I'm dismissive of members who like to frame themselves as better coaches or talent spotters but the truth is we're all on the couch and the professionals are out there doing it.
It's no fun not winning each week, it's no fun watching avoidable skill errors that imperil the safety of my television but it's also no fun to wade through a quagmire of negativity and despair instead of looking forward to the improvement that will inevitably come. It always does.
Very well said TheBaron. It's a pity you don't post more regularly. Balanced and measured insight from you.

There is nothing wrong with proper criticism, and l get the anger towards the club, but to think that your view is totally correct and another’s mild view is totally b.s and you go over the top about it, well to be honest has left me pissed off at the posters, so l haven’t done much this year.
Well all have a right to our point of view, wether it’s correct or not, it should be discussed, not attack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back