Roast Matt Rendell Vendetta against Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Rendall may have a bit of sour grapes, but at the same time he is good at dud spotting within the club.

He has called out alot of the dysfunction within the football department, substantiating his views and has the coach well pegged.
But that’s easily done. Rendell is great at telling the obvious after the fact. He is also great at telling us how super he is.

Yes. Totally correct.
And it seems it’s not even enough to consider Mifsud and Fahour were staggered and offended from the vitriol coming from Rendell’s mouth. I think that’s where it all gets lost.
Fahour didn't say he was offended, he said Mifsud was. And considering Mifsud later leaked a false accusation to the press about Neeld, he's not someone who we should assume has a balanced view on the issue.

It wasn’t just the way he explained it away and smoothed it over though, there was much more said that he never addressed.
He compared indigenous players with Africans, used the phrase “your blokes” when talking to Fahour, complained about the punctuality of indigenous players, it just goes on and on. It was racist. It doesn’t necessarily make HIM a racist person, but the nature of his comments were quite clearly racist in that meeting.
How is it even a debate?

My mate has taught in Darwin and the Tiwi Islands for years. He played footy as the only white bloke in an otherwise indigenous team and has taught indigenous kids for decades. He said they are notorious for not following time tables and time schedules. He didn't say this was a negative thing, just a stone cold fact. It also makes it terribly difficult for them to succeed in our our modern society which is entirely based upon tight time schedules. It is in no way a racist comment. Australian are generally regarded as being casual , irreverent and having a healthy cynicism with regard to authority. Is that a racist generalization? The Germans are renowned for being precise, organized, cold and lacking a sense of humour. Italians are seen as emotional, passionate and hot blooded with a love for wine and women.

Why is "your blokes" racist? Indigenous players always regard their fellow indigenous players as "brothers". Indigenous people say "you whiteys" without malice and I take no offense. Why are we so desperate to leap upon anything which is said in a less than pristine, politically correct manner as racist? Rendell hasn't got a racist bone in his body yet his reputation was battered and he lost a job due to this hunger for our weekly piniata to bash and break.

We have such bad luck compared to all the other clubs who manage to get indigenous players on their lists. I hear that the Pies wanted to retrospectively draft cyril rioli.... and we wanted polly farmer too.... such bad luck.

They wanted that jamarra guy too.... couldnt get him.... we said please but no luck. Damn it's hard to get those indigenous players.
I know it's all a ruse. We just hate having them on our list.

Fahour didn't say he was offended, he said Mifsud was. And considering Mifsud later leaked a false accusation to the press about Neeld, he's not someone who we should assume has a balanced view on the issue.
I’m not going to waste anymore time on this because we all have our differing opinions on the matter and it won’t change.

The article below states
“While Rendell has insisted his inflammatory remarks had been exaggerated and taken out of context, both the AFL and Adelaide yesterday insisted that Mifsud and Fahour had been so offended by Rendell's attitude that Fahour had expressed surprise that Mifsud had not punched Rendell.”

It seems clear that Fahour was also offended.

If you link a particular outcome to their race, that is racist. It would be more accurate to say a lot of young blokes who are drafted to the AFL don't make it as they can't settle to the professional environment. Although I suspect Rendell meant exactly what he said. You can judge for yourself what you mean.

Stop being so disingenuous. Every race, nation has certain generalized characteristics connected to them. That doesn't mean there are not exceptions or that the stereotypes aren't exaggerated, but stereotypes don't just drop from the sky, they are formed when a certain trait is seen as a pattern of behavior in whatever group is being stereotyped.

Jokes about Germans' lack of humour and militaristic bent would not raise a laugh if we did not recognize some truth to the observation.

One stereotype about our indigenous players is that that they are more brilliant, agile and capable of performing jaw dropping feats on the footy field. Nobody ever seems to have a problem with this stereotype. Plenty of posters have expressed a desire for our club to recruit more indigenous players because they often have the X factor. Look at Shai Bolton on Friday night. Does that mean white players can't produce brilliant footy? Nope. But I tend to agree with those who believe our indigenous players possess a natural ability to see an opening or read the play more quickly than their white brothers.

Our media has forever pumped up the X factor of our indigenous players and devote an entire round in recognition of what they have brought to the game of Aussie Rules. You can't accept that and have a meltdown when a negative trait is observed.

I’m not going to waste anymore time on this because we all have our differing opinions on the matter and it won’t change.

The article below states
“While Rendell has insisted his inflammatory remarks had been exaggerated and taken out of context, both the AFL and Adelaide yesterday insisted that Mifsud and Fahour had been so offended by Rendell's attitude that Fahour had expressed surprise that Mifsud had not punched Rendell.”

It seems clear that Fahour was also offended.

And yet the coward did not do or say anything at the time.

It seems Paul Roos and James Hird are racists too.

Demetriou also suggested yesterday that Sydney had taken Paul Roos - who fronts the Swans Academy, which regularly hosts at least 80 indigenous footballers - to task regarding his comments on Fox Footy last month regarding indigenous players and their lack of endurance. ''Those comments can be quite dangerous,'' said Demetriou.

''I know Jason [Mifsud] had spoken to him [Roos] and I think he's been spoken to by his club. Both his comments and James Hird's were just completely inaccurate.''

Demetriou has no problem with the highlighting of the special abilities possessed by so many indigenous players, but dare to point out a perceived flaw and you are in deep water. What a pathetic joke. By highlighting the magic possessed by the indigenous are we not by omission suggesting this quality is absent in most white players?

So Roos has worked closely with indigenous players and makes an observation based upon his experience and he is entering dangerous territory. If he had said the boys from private schools tended to be a bit softer than the country boys would there be outrage? Hafey and Sheedy both openly said Tradies were tougher than the pen pushers and often matched them up at training. As a chalkie I was deeply offended when I heard about this stereotyping.

I know it's all a ruse. We just hate having them on our list.

well i dont know the reason, but we insist on going for guys like trey ruscoe who might work out to be a serviceable half back, or we could risk a chance on someone who might spark something, and it's not as if we're overburdened with players who provide a spark.... we seem to have all our eggs in the de goey basket.

Unless you call it cultural understanding at which point it becomes cool.
Southern plantation owners peddled the same snake oil SR.

The very best interpretation is patronizing contempt.

Southern plantation owners peddled the same snake oil SR.

The very best interpretation is patronizing contempt.
I was responding to "If you link a particular outcome to their race, that is racist."

That would make the statement: "Indigenous people commonly suffer from racism" a racist statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this reminds me of the deliberate out of bounds rules.... (my apologies in anticipation for all the disgust that comment will cause)

partly that - but what's the point of endless circular arguments about what is what might be racism? - rehashing interpretations of interpretations...
I struggle to understand how racism can even be discussed anymore given the pc limitations and taboos on what can actually be said.

It wasn’t just the way he explained it away and smoothed it over though, there was much more said that he never addressed.
He compared indigenous players with Africans, used the phrase “your blokes” when talking to Fahour, complained about the punctuality of indigenous players, it just goes on and on. It was racist. It doesn’t necessarily make HIM a racist person, but the nature of his comments were quite clearly racist in that meeting.
How is it even a debate?
It's not really a debate if there are so many elements to the issue that can't be discussed because it's considered racist to mention them.

I was responding to "If you link a particular outcome to their race, that is racist."

That would make the statement: "Indigenous people commonly suffer from racism" a racist statement.
So indigenous people are classified as victims? Is that individually or as a sub genre?
I'm not being disingenuous - it's a generalizing statement designed as a throw away line by people that have a disconnect with the subject matter.
Possibly the biggest hurdle anyone of ethnicity must overcome is is ignorance - usually the ignorance of those who profess to be helping.
That comment you quoted is in fact a meaningless concoction designed to fit multitudinous circumstances.
The problems faced by a mainland indigenous person will be completely different to those from Thursday Island for example.
Just as the issues of an indigenous person from a cattle station near Broome will be vastly different to one from North Fitzroy.
Our indigenous people are NOT one nation or even one ethnic group.
So bundling them up together in a convenient catch phrase is an easy way to dismiss actually doing anything about it.

So indigenous people are classified as victims? Is that individually or as a sub genre?
I'm not being disingenuous - it's a generalizing statement designed as a throw away line by people that have a disconnect with the subject matter.
Possibly the biggest hurdle anyone of ethnicity must overcome is is ignorance - usually the ignorance of those who profess to be helping.
That comment you quoted is in fact a meaningless concoction designed to fit multitudinous circumstances.
The problems faced by a mainland indigenous person will be completely different to those from Thursday Island for example.
Just as the issues of an indigenous person from a cattle station near Broome will be vastly different to one from North Fitzroy.

So bundling them up together in a convenient catch phrase is an easy way to dismiss actually doing anything about it.

What you are doing there is what you are saying is an issue. But it's not an issue, it's cultural understanding with greater depth.

As someone who is less expert than yourself in this field, I can say that I'm perfectly willing not to offer an opinion because I'm a middle-aged white man who has had a rather average life. Can I just keep to myself and not worry about any of it?

well i dont know the reason, but we insist on going for guys like trey ruscoe who might work out to be a serviceable half back, or we could risk a chance on someone who might spark something, and it's not as if we're overburdened with players who provide a spark.... we seem to have all our eggs in the de goey basket.
I agree, but I don't think for one moment that there are sinister undertones with regard to our lack of indigenous players as many like to infer.
Geelong have been very proactive in the recruitment of redheads over the years.
Why have there been so few of them at Collingwood in recent years?

Part of following the Do Better Report should be to make sure racist flogs like Rendell are never hired again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back