Review Round 12, 2021 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Madden needs to come in . Ah Chee needs to go forward. McStay needs to be given a more positive role. Oscar's ruckwork has dropped off and Daniher is just a crumber in the ruck so I don't know what the answer is there.

Overall we're not far away . One good midfielder and a running half back short with two or three guys who have been around a while who aren't consistent enough any more when real pressure is applied.

Melbourne have 4 or 5 absolute guns who right no are better players than our guns and their backup M/F's and backs are playing strong disciplined football.

If they're the best team we still have hope.

Already been mentioned but Oscar isn't up to speed and lacking speed and good disposal in the back line. Just been run over by the best team in the competition and best thing we can do is hang our hat on the first half performance.

Good time to have a week off, take stock and set up for our run into the finals.

We won't win a premiership while Oscar is number one ruck
lots of teams won without the stand out ruck. Big O seems not himself after ankle maybe a week off do him good,
We beat the pies when Grundy was basically BOG and got 5-6 hitouts.
Problem is Melb Mids too strong

Not sure if Rayner has the tank, naturally speaking. I suppose Dusty is aerobically limited.

He was finally looking like he'd built up that fitness base at the start of the year. Huge loss.

Adams was terrible,dropped marks,couldn’t spoil,worst game he has played all year. Cost at least 4 goals. McStay went missing again,his worst game of the year too. Without Andrews we would have lost by 8 goals. Their run in the last quarter was super impressive,they will be very hard to beat this year.
Which 4 goals ?? I didn't see them.

Hopefully berry can have a great second half of the year. Feels like he's been very on and off for a while.

I'm still holding on hope that Cockatoo will find form in the back end as a forward/mid and play a role in finals.

I'm still holding on hope that Cockatoo will find form in the back end as a forward/mid and play a role in finals.

Think people are spot on in identifying either berry or cockatoo as those players that might give us that extra hurt factor in the midfield.

We might just have to be patient. It's not like we can even realistically trade in the player we need. Just have to hope that somebody breaks out.

Rayner really could have been it. Tragic injury.

He was finally looking like he'd built up that fitness base at the start of the year. Huge loss.
Your earlier comment was bang flipping on. I knew we were done at half-time in that prelim - our on-ball unit looked like a bunch of scrawny teenagers compared to Geelong's mids. Same feeling tonight once Melbourne leveled things. Their physical prowess in the guts was dazzling after the main break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see McStay replacing daniher minutes in the ruck.

Charlie and Linc didn't play well in the first three rounds as they were playing big minutes in to he midfield and didn't have the gas for the full on sprints required as a forward. Daniher having the same problem.

McStay seems to have a great tank, also willing sacrifices himself by dragging opposition away when forward so we wouldn't be losing a marking forward. And daniher is good at getting the ball to ground, so would be still setteing up the crumbers.

Before this round Lever had more intercept marks to this stage of the season of anyone to ever play. Tonight I don’t think he had any

If McStay was a key back and kept a forward who had more goals in the first 11 rounds of any player in the history of the game there wouldn’t be one negative thing said.

Soundly beaten in the midfield second half. They got the ball out and just ran around us, far to quick. Gawn, Petracca and Oliver dominated. Defense couldn't catch up. Full marks to Melb, too good tonight.

4 or 5 dickhead moments during the game, giving away free kicks leading to goals. Adams, Oscar and a cpl from Zorks I think. Not good enough there. Some lazy moments I noticed from Daniher, and a few others. Our fwds were worked over and made ineffective when exiting our back half and when defending their exits.

We certainly weren't ready for them in the third qtr, they found an extra gear and took the game from us. It's a gear we need to find against the better teams. We have the second half of the season to find it or it will be another valiant exit in the finals.

Lets give some credit where it is due.

Melbourne were just awesome in that second half.

Their handball game from their defensive half was insanely good.

If not for an umpire choke, they would now be 12-0.

Gawn is the best Ruck in the competition by a thousand light years. He is Melbourne's most important player.

I thought Oscar competed well in the first half but once Gawn got on top, their mids did too.

We never gave up the ghost but were just overrun by a very good football team.

They deserve to be Premiership favorites

The absolute bullshit that Zorko cops on here at times is laughable and those saying he shouldn’t be captain genuinely have no idea.

Led the way in pressure acts and tackles and would be close to the top week after week.

yeah he has his moments of ill discipline but hardly at the epic proportions that some believe it to be.
He gives everything for the team . Has had a wonderful year .

Gawn destroyed us tonight. Played like an extra midfielder and gave great service to his midfield.

I think some of the boys switched off at half time and started thinking of the bye weekend. Anyway we re-group and go again.

Once Melbourne got going they set up 28 players behind the ball and then spread the sh*t out of us on the rebound and around the ground.
Lack of pace was exposed and they played well. Was always going to be the worry coming out of half time.

Back