AFLW 2021 AFLW Trade Period - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

Into the 4th day and only two trades down. Thank F for us with the only two so far.

Pretty disappointing given that clubs have had weeks to dialogue (and they have) and then even more time when the trade period was pushed out.

Every club should be able to get their s**t together and do all of this inside 5 days. I'm even being generous with the 5 days.

Worse to come when Essendon come in and they do what they usually do and hold up every single deal until the death thinking every one of their tradable players is as valuable as Erin Phillips.

Last edited:
Lol , looks like Harris will end up at Melbourne now

Clincher was a cheese platter on the sidelines at training for when she updates her Instagram.

Into the 4th day and only two trades down. Thank F for us with the only two so far.

Pretty disappointing given that clubs have had weeks to dialogue (and they have) and then even more time when the trade period was pushed out.

Every club should be able to get their sh*t together and do all of this inside 5 days. I'm even being generous with the 5 days.

Worse to come when Essendon come in and they do what they usually do and hold up every single deal until the death thinking every one of their tradable players is as good as Erin Phillips.
I am surprised and it might say something For the lessened resource in AFLW program following soft cap cuts
Glad we Re active , tbh would like to see another mature pick come in

Every club should be able to get their sh*t together and do all of this inside 5 days. I'm even being generous with the 5 days.

Worse to come when Essendon come in and they do what they usually do and hold up every single deal until the death thinking every one of their tradable players is as good as Erin Phillips.

Yeah agree
Scheer to Geelong might be a haggle over player swaps as Adelaide don't need draft picks
Same with Rennie to North (Rennie only told dogs she wanted out late last week), dogs want good established players not draft picks
Purcell to Demons is an interesting one now with Harris also involved, Blues would still want a 1st Rd pick & so would Cats (or even better a good mature player)
Given Purcell probably won't play this coming season & Blues are over Harris, there in lies the demons problem, what to give & to whom

Yeah agree
Scheer to Geelong might be a haggle over player swaps as Adelaide don't need draft picks
Same with Rennie to North (Rennie only told dogs she wanted out late last week), dogs want good established players not draft picks
Purcell to Demons is an interesting one now with Harris also involved, Blues would still want a 1st Rd pick & so would Cats (or even better a good mature player)
Given Purcell probably won't play this coming season & Blues are over Harris, there in lies the demons problem, what to give & to whom

Yeah I get that there would be some trades that take time and are last minute things.

I wouldn't think Blues could possibly ask much for Harris given the price tag on her head and the fact that they have declared she is virtually out the door.

Yeah I get that there would be some trades that take time and are last minute things.

I wouldn't think Blues could possibly ask much for Harris given the price tag on her head and the fact that they have declared she is virtually out the door.

I can understand that would be the demons stance on Harris, Blues could come back with the hype Harris's manager has been sprucing her as the AFLW's best & most recognized player & ask for Demon's 1st Rd pick
Also the Blues won't delist Harris, i wouldn't think, so a trade is more probable & not as a free agent
Remember we traded Frederick for Pie's 1st Rd, so that would be a starting point for the Blues & they'll want as much bang for the Harris buck
Demons are probably looking at losing their 1 Rd & a decent player in some form, to get Purcell & Harris into the club
Anyway that's the Demon's & Blues, Cats problem, not ours

I think we're done, & will de-list one more player & go to the draft with Vic picks 3, 10, 13 & 23

Looking more closely at that Sabrina trade, we have done really well to get back pretty much what we used to get her in the first place. We traded our pick 16 in 2019 for her and this year we traded 26, 45 and got back 16, 48 plus Shelvin. I'd also say #16 in 2021 is more value than #16 in 2019.

Gut feel is that the club is looking to use #16 (#10 Vic) to target someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking more closely at that Sabrina trade, we have done really well to get back pretty much what we used to get her in the first place. We traded our pick 16 in 2019 for her and this year we traded 26, 45 and got back 16, 48 plus Shelvin. I'd also say #16 in 2021 is more value than #16 in 2019.

Gut feel is that the club is looking to use #16 (#10 Vic) to target someone.

Yeah with Sab's trade, i'd say we did far better than what we forked out to get her & Pie's pick 48 we got Poppy Kelly, so a big win for us
Trading one of either our Vic picks 10, 13 or 23 for a player, i dunno if we will, considering the expansion teams Essendon & Hawthorn coming in, the draft in the next 2 years is going to be very ugly for us & the rest of the Vic teams
Vic picks 3, 10, 13 are going to get us some very good young talent, something that we're not going to have a chance for at least 3 years
But you never know :)

When you consider Troy Fergusen’s number 1 priority was Frederick and we know now that mindset to the team and game plan sent us in completely the wrong direction, we’ve done pretty well to turn it all around.
Just on Sabrina, she’s a multi millionaire because of the attention and popularity off women playing Aussie Rules.
I just hope the next face of the sport is actually a really talented sportsperson.
Like a Chloe Molloy or another up and coming dedicated athlete.
Sab was too over weight in her first season with us and it looked like the game had gone past her last year.
I’d rather my daughter’s sports heroes are exceptional athletes who make it on talent and hard work and not walking billboards on Instagram.

When you consider Troy Fergusen’s number 1 priority was Frederick and we know now that mindset to the team and game plan sent us in completely the wrong direction, we’ve done pretty well to turn it all around.
Just on Sabrina, she’s a multi millionaire because of the attention and popularity off women playing Aussie Rules.
I just hope the next face of the sport is actually a really talented sportsperson.
Like a Chloe Molloy or another up and coming dedicated athlete.
Sab was too over weight in her first season with us and it looked like the game had gone past her last year.
I’d rather my daughter’s sports heroes are exceptional athletes who make it on talent and hard work and not walking billboards on Instagram.

i understand what you are getting at Cdog but sometimes the best sport heroes come from players who aren’t exceptional athletes but those who were far from it and succeed through guts and determination. Some are born gifted while most are not. These the the types that most people can relate to.

Fair to say that Sabrina’s physical traits served her well in the first couple of years of AFLW but the game has moved on. You look at how fit players are generally now compared to 2017. The average body shape has changed substantially from then to now and it had to because AFLW is so much more of a running game now.

No doubt Sabrina was slow off the mark to embrace the fitness changes. That’s a reason she stagnated in her 3rd season with Brisbane. She is lucky that she started AFLW as a 20 year old and not a 26 year old because she has time on her hands to fix it.

As for her profile stuff unfortunately they don’t earn a great wage from footy itself so have to go down the marketing path to earn the $$ to just keep playing. Almost impossible to hold down a regular job on full time hours and play AFLW.

Think Sabrina might also be choking on her corn flakes this morning reading she is a multi millionaire :p She’s probably on the phone to her manager asking where the hell has the money gone!

i understand what you are getting at Cdog but sometimes the best sport heroes come from players who aren’t exceptional athletes but those who were far from it and succeed through guts and determination. Some are born gifted while most are not. These the the types that most people can relate to.

Fair to say that Sabrina’s physical traits served her well in the first couple of years of AFLW but the game has moved on. You look at how fit players are generally now compared to 2017. The average body shape has changed substantially from then to now and it had to because AFLW is so much more of a running game now.

No doubt Sabrina was slow off the mark to embrace the fitness changes. That’s a reason she stagnated in her 3rd season with Brisbane. She is lucky that she started AFLW as a 20 year old and not a 26 year old because she has time on her hands to fix it.

As for her profile stuff unfortunately they don’t earn a great wage from footy itself so have to go down the marketing path to earn the $$ to just keep playing. Almost impossible to hold down a regular job on full time hours and play AFLW.

Think Sabrina might also be choking on her corn flakes this morning reading she is a multi millionaire :p She’s probably on the phone to her manager asking where the hell has the money gone!
2F992DC2-6116-4BF8-885E-8BB5DCF68F5F.png

I think you’d be surprised how much money is in social media

JUN 5. 2021. 7:00 AM
Is another Blue on the move? The deals yet to be done
Sarah Black

CARLTON midfielder and dual-sport athlete Chloe Dalton is exploring her options beyond the Blues.

The rugby sevens star – who is currently working towards the Olympic Games in Tokyo – has been linked to both GWS and Gold Coast, moves to states which would allow her to combine her two sports more easily.

Dalton was inactive this season as she needed to spend considerable time in New South Wales in preparation for the Games.

Initially a cross-sport rookie, Dalton starred in her second season on Carlton's list, finishing second in the club's 2020 best and fairest.

If a move to the Giants eventuates, Dalton could be used in a trade for Giant Jess Dal Pos, who is keen to come home to Victoria.

It would leave former Blues skipper Katie Loynes able to walk to the Giants as a delisted free agent.

There have been just two trades completed in the first five days of the AFLW Sign and Trade Period, shaping things for a hectic final stanza.
The closing deadline for the Trade portion is 2pm AEST on Wednesday, while the signing period continues for several weeks.

It's set to be a busy few days for Carlton, with Melbourne looking increasingly likely to provide a new home for Tayla Harris.
Melbourne CEO Gary Pert confirmed the club's interest in the high-flying forward on Friday night.

"It'd be fantastic if she was [in Demons colours]. She's a great athlete, a great footballer, we'd love to have her part of it," Pert told ABC Sport.
"She's got to make her own decisions, but when I look at the way we play, having her in the forward line would be fantastic for us.

"We'll work through all those (financial) ins and outs with her. We haven't found her difficult to deal with, in fact, quite the opposite. She's not only an amazing athlete, she's an amazing person. She's got a great attitude about being the best she can be, and we've really enjoyed the conversations with her."

The Demons are also expected to land wantaway Cat Liv Purcell.

Just how both trades get done remains to be seen, with Melbourne – who lost its preliminary final to Adelaide this year – currently holding pick Nos. 15, 32, 47 and 61 (if needed).

Gold Coast has put its priority picks No.6 and 8 on the table, seeking to land a player in return.

There is yet to be much headway made on Chloe Scheer's trade request to move from Adelaide to Geelong.

As also previously reported by womens.afl, Western Bulldog Kim Rennie has requested a trade to North Melbourne.

Elle Bennetts is still looking to make a move from GWS to the Western Bulldogs, returning to her home state of Victoria.

In other AFLW news, Brisbane speedster Courtney Hodder has had surgery on a broken finger suffered at training with QAFLW club Yeronga South Brisbane.

She will miss 6-8 weeks of the QAFLW season but is expected to be fit for the start of AFLW pre-season, believed at this stage to be in mid-September.

Yeah nah.

More importantly, almost time to recharge that phone.
She played the last 7 games off the bench, she’s played nearly three times as many games as Wakefield but only kicked 6 more career goals and then says in an interview last night “It’s a buisiness decision”
Its not about footy its about her Brand and its worth alotve money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back