AFLW 2021 AFLW Trade Period - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

I've observed that AFLW picks outside the first round doesn't quite hold the same value as the big boys draft. Circumstances with the girls can vary more widely as their incomes are just not in the same stratosphere so trading of picks tends to mean less. It's a bit more argy-bargy than science. As the bio suggests, has been involved in footy at GWS, Melbourne and Collingwood. On first blush you would be right to think a bit of a fringe player, but when you look at her on field attributes, she offers a bit, and is neater than some of our list already, suggesting she may quickly become best 20.

Yeah agree
From her stats she kicks a hell of alot more than handballs & wins contested ball, so if what Sheahan said is true, Shelvin is going to get her hands on the ball and launch from halfback

Club has already said they aren't interested.

Think the consensus among AFLW circles is that she is a boxer who dabbles in a bit of footy from time to time.

Has a battle to convince potential 3rd club otherwise.

It’s a tough one for her. If she wants to be a main target for the new clubs coming in, and ask the big dollars, she may need to play rather than sit out next season and then play some good games. Carlton may look to keep her on their list or alternatively they would trade and probably not ask for too much seeing that she is willing to walk away. The issue for a club that takes her, for what it is that she considers as underpayment, is she would want a one year contract only with expansion coming in (although there is a caveat in the new Bargaining Agreements flagged that means a player walking to an expansion club mid contract is permitted, therefore could be some smoke and mirrors to consider). A club in a flag window might look at her, for a season, although Collingwood would have been ideal but then the Sab’s deal wouldn't have got done early. I think she may not have a choice but to sit out a season or go crawling back to Carlton. The former is still likely considering her boxing career is a big part of her future plans.

You guys might think I'm crazy, but given her value would be low right now I'd have a go at Harris as a ruck rather than a forward. Watching her at the blues, she never got her hand on it forward but did a good job whenever I saw her up the ground.

I doubt the club is entertaining that given her ex-partner and current partner both play at tigerland lol. Could get nasty.

It’s a tough one for her. If she wants to be a main target for the new clubs coming in, and ask the big dollars, she may need to play rather than sit out next season and then play some good games. Carlton may look to keep her on their list or alternatively they would trade and probably not ask for too much seeing that she is willing to walk away. The issue for a club that takes her, for what it is that she considers as underpayment, is she would want a one year contract only with expansion coming in (although there is a caveat in the new Bargaining Agreements flagged that means a player walking to an expansion club mid contract is permitted, therefore could be some smoke and mirrors to consider). A club in a flag window might look at her, for a season, although Collingwood would have been ideal but then the Sab’s deal wouldn't have got done early. I think she may not have a choice but to sit out a season or go crawling back to Carlton. The former is still likely considering her boxing career is a big part of her future plans.

I can tell you Blues are happy to part company. Had enough.

Article today quoting Nat Edwards who is a respected journo in AFLW circles sums it up pretty well.

Speaking on the AFL Daily podcast this week, journalist Nat Edwards said there are more reasons than just money clubs may be wary of chasing Harris’ signature.

“While I think it’s fair for her to command that kind of dollar because she is one of the most recognisable faces in the AFLW, if you’re a club that’s looking to make that kind of commitment you want to know that your player is 100 per cent committed, their attitude and dedication is there and of course form has to come into it as well,” Edwards said.

“And she didn’t have a great season last year. She’s got a boxing career and there are concerns at Carlton about her attitude at times. So clubs have question marks on her.

“There was an incident, she was dropped during the season. A lot of people thought she was managed by Carlton coach Daniel Harford. And there’s been talk about her being quite a divisive character at times, leaving the track early at training, things like that. So I think there are question marks about her attitude and her application.”

Ten out of the 14 AFLW clubs have reportedly ruled out pursuing Harris in the trade period, with only Melbourne, GWS, West Coast and St Kilda still in the running to snap up one of the most recognisable faces in the game.

Edwards highlighted Harris’ talent and broad public appeal, but that may not be enough to keep her in the game next season.

“At her best though she is an incredible player. Super when it comes to contested marks, she’s got a great kick on her. But she’s at a crossroads now,” she said.

“The dilemma now is you either lower the asking price or you sit out this season and focus on boxing, and I think it might be the latter.”

“The dilemma now is you either lower the asking price or you sit out this season and focus on boxing, and I think it might be the latter.”

My point exactly, highly likely she is not on any list next year.

I didn't realise that Harford had shut the door completely on her, but Nat's article leaves no doubt about that.

Harford said this a few days ago on 3AW

"Carlton’s AFLW coach says it appears unlikely Tayla Harris will be with the Blues next season".

"And he’s called on the AFL to come to the party and pay female stars for their ambassadorial work".

"Harris is said to be considering her options following a pay dispute with the Blues".

"As one of the league’s most marketable players, Harris is reportedly seeking a massive salary increase, despite struggling for form on the field".

"Her coach, Daniel Harford, said it was a vexed issue".

“I think the competition should be paying,” he said on 3AW Football.

“We’ve seen Karmichael Hunt and Izzy Folau come into the competition and get a million bucks to be an ambassador for the competition.”

It sounds like they've reached an impasse, and looks likely discussions are untenable according Nat's article.

No way the AFL will come to the party and help Carlton retain her with $ for an ambassadorial role. Not with expansion next year.

Article today
Why I left the Tigers: Sabrina on Magpie switch
A RELENTLESS quest for a new challenge, the appeal of playing a pure forward role and some sustained pestering from good friend Brit Bonnici are behind Sabrina Frederick's move to Collingwood.
The now-former Tiger made the switch to the Magpies on Monday in the opening move of the AFLW Sign and Trade Period, with Maddie Shevlin making the return trip (as well as a number of draft picks exchanging hands).
Frederick told womens.afl Collingwood had been in contact over the past few years, on the hunt for a key forward, but the timing was now right to move.
"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about my future during the season, for me personally, I'm constantly in search of challenging myself," Frederick told womens.afl.
"At the end of the season, I had conversations with [Richmond] about what they saw from my future and where they saw the club going. It didn't develop fully until after that point.
"It was always in the back of my mind, the challenges for me are always in the back of my mind. It's not a big thing, but once the season was over, I could think about what was next.
"I'm turning 25, I'm getting into that stage of life where not just off the field, but on the field, I'm taking a huge step in my life. It was sort of around then I decided a change would be good."
Frederick played primarily as a forward-ruck for Richmond, particularly in 2021 where her height was needed to support the undersized Gabby Seymour.
"My pre-season this year just gone was such a good pre-season, I felt like it was the best one I'd ever had," she said.
"Unfortunately, I didn't really get the chance to show that in my football on the ground as a forward. I think this time around, I'm really excited to push myself in that position and take my football as a forward to the next level.
"As a footballer, the frustration does definitely pop up from time to time, but I'm the type of person if the team needs me to do whatever the team needs me to do, I'm happy to do it.
"I love the game, so for me, just being able to go out there and play is amazing. I think it was definitely a test for me to be thrown into that position, and I learnt a lot about myself and where I see my career going forward.
"But [I didn't get to] the point where frustration turned to anger, I didn't leave the club angry or anything like that. I do wish things could have been different, but in this industry, sporting careers can be very short-lived, and you have to make the most out of every opportunity."
Frederick won't be going into unfamiliar territory, already having firm friendships with a number of Collingwood players.
"One of my best mates [Bonnici] plays there, so she was always hinting about coming over. She's one of my best friends, I've known her for too long, probably 12 years. She's one of the players I respect highly in this competition but also, I respect her so much as a person," Frederick said.
"There are other players in that team, Bri Davey, 'Choch' (Steph Chiocci), Chloe Molloy, Ruby (Schleicher), there's so many over there that I'm good friends with and I think that's also a really good fit for me."
Frederick will now be at her third club, having played 23 games at Brisbane in 2017 and 2018, and adding a further 17 at the Tigers over the past two seasons.
"It's hard to explain to people. When I got to Brisbane, I was 19, I was a kid and very, very different and I've changed a lot since then. Then I went to Richmond, and I changed a lot in that process, and in the last two years, I've changed a lot as well," Frederick said.
"I'm constantly searching for a challenge to help me grow. It's not necessarily something that I'm missing, but I'm constantly searching for something to challenge me.
"I'm so lucky to have played at those clubs, I'm so, so lucky. I enjoyed my time at Brisbane and I'll never forget it. I've enjoyed my time at Tigerland and I'll never forget it.
"It's not something where I feel like I left because they weren't good enough, it's definitely not that at all. I'm just looking forward to playing at Collingwood, I think they'll give me my next challenge and I'm hoping that I can stay there for as long as I can."

So in a round about way she's having a sook at Richmond not playing her where she wanted to play????

Article today
Why I left the Tigers: Sabrina on Magpie switch

So in a round about way she's having a sook at Richmond not playing her where she wanted to play????

The impression I got was that during the conversation with Richmond she wasn't made to feel part of the team going forward. We would have been as happy to see her go as she was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

marque player, that was the plan, realistically she couldn't get a kick in a stampede , i giggle behind the hand at the "star" headlines on aflw pages

I happily put my and up and say I reckon Sheahan has done an ok job. Two seasons in and we are ahead of the other expansions teams. Some things haven't worked and some things have.

I can say Frederick was a Tom Hunter priority. If every player was on the table Tom said he would go after Sabrina... and so they did.

Last edited:
21-AFLW-Trade-Poppy-Kelly-Article-Image.png

Richmond has welcomed exciting ruck Poppy Kelly onto its AFLW list, after a deal with St Kilda was finalised on Wednesday morning.
The Tigers traded pick No. 48 in the 2021 AFLW Draft, which they secured on Monday as part of a trade with Collingwood, in exchange for the 22-year-old.
Kelly, 184cm, has enjoyed a rapid rise up the football ranks since joining the Southern Saints VFLW side in 2019 with just a handful of games to her name.

dZ2CUHQg.jpg

The former basketballer's athletic prowess and natural skills stood out, and it wasn’t long before she was promoted to St Kilda’s inaugural AFLW list as a rookie.

She became a valuable contributor for the Saints in their maiden AFLW season, averaging 14 hit-outs, nine disposals and four clearances per game after making her debut in Round 4.

Kelly then played three games across the 2021 season, averaging seven disposals per game.

W9WCSt21GD2938.JPG

Poppy Kelly competes against West Coast's Alicia Janz in a ruck contest during the 2021 AFLW season.

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan, said the Tigers had been impressed by Kelly’s raw talent and strong presence in the air.

“We can’t wait to see what Poppy can bring to our Club," Sheahan said.

"Her athleticism and ruck craft will complement our ruck stocks well.

“She’s still relatively new to the sport too, so we see a lot of upside in her and are excited for her to continue developing at Richmond.”

Kelly is the Tigers' second recruit of the 2021 AFLW Sign and Trade Period, after they secured former Collingwood utility Maddie Shevlin on Monday.

Richmond currently holds picks 5, 16, 23 and 40 in the AFLW Draft.

Last edited:
her highlights look pretty ok, def worth a late pick

Only 22 so has some upside. Not sure what that means for Alice Edmonds though. I feared for her list spot during the season. Even more so now.

Unfortunately my only memory of Poppy is of Gabby Seymour constantly jumping over the top of her in a VFLW game from a couple of seasons back. In fairness Gabby has done that to a number of taller opponents and Poppy has played a bit more footy since.

Only 22 so has some upside. Not sure what that means for Alice Edmonds though. I feared for her list spot during the season. Even more so now.

Unfortunately my only memory of Poppy is of Gabby Seymour constantly jumping over the top of her in a VFLW game from a couple of seasons back. In fairness Gabby has done that to a number of taller opponents and Poppy has played a bit more footy since.

I found proof!! :cool::cool:

1622605531508.png

As I said in fairness Gabby is a bit of a freak with how high she leaps at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back