AFLW AFLW Tiges vs Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon that's harsh on a 20 year old - not clocked up 20 games yet. Bobbling ball, would she like her time again, and have it like early on in the game, where she plucked the ball and kicked a special goal - yeah we all would. Would Grieser like her hand not so heavily taped she struggled with her ball drop, would Dankert like to tackle better and stop that 3rd Qtr goal?

A game is made up of so many moments, some good, some bad. Ask Dusty whether he's made mistakes, really silly and bad ones, early on in his career.......

Anyway, for mine it's what a player learns from it. As I said in another post, good coaching is revisiting that error 20, 50, 100 times on the park in a skill drill, so that it becomes a predominately better event going forward.
It might be harsh, but as I stated, I don't blame her. I see it as a issue within training, we should be seeing improvement from our players coming through our program, but I'm watching other teams pass us with less years of development. Whether it is through recruitment or off season training, our fitness is not as good as it should be. We have a handful of players that I see at a good level & happy to give the younger players time to develop & then there are players that are simply not good enough, again maybe harsh but simply being truthful.

I expected we. would picked up where we left off last year with the 7w in a row , we are miles off that , we really beat our heads against the wall when we play , last year we were way more productive , surely Wakefield isn’t the difference alone. Our ball movement is way crude compared to several other sides and that before we get it to f50 , for most part we just bludgeon the ball forward ,,,what we’d give for some talented smalls to jump on the endless supply of ground ball coz we don’t mark many . Ferguson may well have ran his race , competitive yes , look like getting any better ,,,no
surely Wakefield isn’t the difference alone
i didn't think so either until i checked Wakefield's marking stats from last year.
19 contested marks (3rd best in AFLW), next best Ellie McK with 8
21 marks I50 (3rd best in AFLW), next best Brennan with 8
14 goals (3rd best in AFLW), next best Conti with 9
we are struggling for marks all around the ground this year.

for most part we just bludgeon the ball forward
yeah we did that last year a lot and the year before
but no Wakefield to take a mark and Brennan (7 contested marks), C Jones (3 contested marks) and Grieser (1 contested mark) aren't doing well enough.
even the long kick from D50 is coming straight back with interest, i may be wrong but I've yet to see us run the ball from D50 thru chains of possessions, kick mark, HB etc, without some sort of breakdown along the way.

what we’d give for some talented smalls to jump on the endless supply of ground ball coz we don’t mark many
it would be handy, but where do we get these talented smalls from?
other than the Crows game, getting it into our fwd 50 isn't the problem, in fact our scoring is higher/game than any other season.
our biggest problem is we're not taking our chances and then the oppo are kicking 3 or more goals in a row that's causing us so much grief.

we are having opposite luck in winning close games this year.
we're going to struggle to win against Essendon based on our current form.

She needs to be used closer to goal, that is for sure. She has a quick mind and as you said, skills, particularly her kicking, something not lost on the coaches I'm sure. Her gait is awkward, I'd describe it as clopping. She is straight liner, the only comment LOTW gets right, her turning circle is not great. But everything she does in a straight line is better than most.
It’s not really a problem on offence because she reads the ball well and gets to where it’s going to go. It’s just if her opponent gets it they do one sidestep and then she makes them look like Usain Bolt and they leave her in their dust

It’s not a lack of effort cause she has a crack she just physically doesn’t have the speed to go with them

It’s not really a problem on offence because she reads the ball well and gets to where it’s going to go. It’s just if her opponent gets it they do one sidestep and then she makes them look like Usain Bolt and they leave her in their dust

It’s not a lack of effort cause she has a crack she just physically doesn’t have the speed to go with them
Greg’s are you talking about , too slow to get rid of the pill she needs to work on quick hands , and would be twice the player , she’s no 1 culprit on failing to handball until she’s dragged to the ground

From 15 mtrs out shanks it. That would've tied it up or put us a point in front in the 3rd by memory.
Then in the last again gets a free directly in front to level the scores and misses.
Strangely she’s a decent long kick with an ok technique yet is capable of a god awful attempt from 15m direct in front ,,,twice , she draws more frees than takes marks , I expected more , has looked better with spells in the ruck ,,,but nail them frees and would be a diff story

Last edited:
Strangely she’s a decent long kick with an ok technique yet is capable of a god awful attempt from 15m direct in front ,,,twice , she draws more frees than takes marks , I expected more , has looked better with spells in the ruck ,,,but mail them frees and would be a diff story
In the presser Ferg mentioned she had hurt her hand during the game and had it heavily strapped. Not singularly to explain the missed goal, but more to tell why she was off the ground for quite a while. If you extrapolate that, probably had an impact on her ball drop. Can't say I noticed the 'heavy' strapping, but no need for Ferg to embellish it so I took it as a given.

On the game as a whole, when I looked at the disposal differential I'm surprised we were even in the game to the end.

Thing to remember is we’re missing a stack of players now. The depth in the whole comp isn’t all that great, not sure any team would be getting wins with the injury list we have

It’s just disappointing that because there’s so few games a period of injury like this can basically kill your season

I was at the game and filthy at the loss.

Most filthy at the GTrain . Kicking that ball out on the full. Cost us the game

It was a bloody sitter, I was sitting in the pocket and it almost hit me in the head.
Hmm didn’t think she was capable of such a god awful kick , plain embarrassing

with a fractured thumb no less!
Yeah, still think it was kickable, even holding the ball one-handed - but pressure, pain......who really knows.

yes I’ve seen that , she won’t play this week ,,,,our seasons been screwed by injury
Not the biggest loss that far for her to miss, Miller and maybe another back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can't believe the bad luck Charly Ryan has had.
ACL, foot problem and now glandular fever, 2 seasons down the drain
can't catch a break :(
Yep, there's other stuff too, but we won't go there. She is such a good young person and deserves a better go at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back