AFLW AFLW Tiges vs Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

We just dont have the depth to cover the injures, no one does in AFLW. If Ellie was playing wed be a few goals better and would make the top 4 easily. Instead we will likely miss finals now, it doesn't overly matter as we are miles off the top couple of teams anyway.

Basic disposals are Not always the be all of stats - but this shows in both current game and averages we have a lot work to do to own the football some more:

1696745375680.png

Last edited:

We are slightly down on last season.

Poppy looked better as no 1 ruck.

8 injured players does not help.
Poppy was pretty good, albeit not as affective as her opponent, I thought she might be smashed today. Poppy crashed in at nearly every ruck contest and gave us at least a 50/50 chance most times. Kudos to her game today!

Did Wicksteed really play 51% of game time or is the afl website ****ed? If she did her stats are nuts.
That's about right. She came to the Club only this year from a Fremantle local side. Her tank is small and her game time is increasing a bit. We just need to get her through this season unharmed and she'll get a lot better for 2024. She is one the few natural footballers we have.

Last edited:
We just dont have the depth to cover the injures, no one does in AFLW. If Ellie was playing wed be a few goals better and would make the top 4 easily. Instead we will likely miss finals now, it doesn't overly matter as we are miles off the top couple of teams anyway.
Throw in both Miller and Seymour and one or both of the Hosking sisters. You play the hand you are dealt.

The upside is we got more game time into Jemima Woods and Charli Wicksteed. Eastman and Jones were quiet, Kiely was a passenger and Stella Reid struggled to find the pace of the game, but you could see her trying to work into it at least.

So, should have played Lauren Caruso - she will always give us a contest and has a canny eye and will find a teammate.

Last edited:
No sugar coating this, yes we have injured players out. But we have gone backwards at a rate of knots. From what I've seen they will be lucky to make the finals.

The game plan is crap. Rarely have run from behind like most other teams. We go the bomb more times than not (trying to get territory but many times it comes back the other way). Our skills are average at best.

One player I'd have no issues with trading out is Grace Egan. She can get her 15-20 touches but has average disposal.
Her 2nd efforts are poor, Oppo players just waltze out and she doesn't chase at all. Has no breakaway speed, and continually gets caught.

The game is about fastball movement, we have several mechanical-type players who wind up before disposing of the ball.
It’s capability more than game plan , a lot of slow players both mind and body , tbh the injury list might be long , we only miss 3 of , Ellie , gabby and bec miller , the rest are bloody ordinary , I count both hoskos in that . Both the train on players in wiki and dankert are already impacting at least at their level with less stuff ups

most frustrating part to me is why the girls don’t handball quicker , would move the ball so much quicker ,,,,it’s not u8s you dont hold onto the bloody thing until contact comes and then try and dribble a handball out , pick the @&#$ thing up , quick hands to a teammate running past , should be like basket ball , refrain from kicking unless in hands of , Moncon, demps or kb and in D50 sheerin/shevs,,,,rest of team handball by default at all times none of you can kick

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not always the be all of stats - bit this shows in both current game and averages we have a lot more work to do to own the football some more:

View attachment 1825559

This is what im trying to say. We don't move the ball with precision, to much bombing. Most other teams use a chain of possessions to gain territory from the back half to the wing, etc
I saw GC players time after time about to get caught, bang handball out, then receiving player about to get caught again but has another player in support and they are off.

I saw it last week with Freo and today v Suns, these teams have players positioned out wide that they can turn to when in trouble, a game plan directive and many teams do that, we don't.

Not sure if it is a fitness thing but we don't have enough players coming from behind to get the handball receive and move the ball quicker to gain more territory..

Wow

We let that slip, lost composure and it just got worse.
The girls looking at that last 3 min would probably want another shot at that.
We just can’t build any cohesion when we keep losing players
Bec miller massive loss in that situation , competes as well as any defender , graham pretty average , shevlin more a flanker type

Greiser leaves a few out there too.

Lynch's attack is good but doesn't get much of it. Yassir couldn't get into the game either

From 15 mtrs out shanks it. That would've tied it up or put us a point in front in the 3rd by memory.
Then in the last again gets a free directly in front to level the scores and misses.

I think it was Stella Reid all on her own, no one within 30m of her in the last quarter out on the hbf. If she picks it up, she could have run past the wing & drove it in to the forward line, instead ends up being taken away by the Suns after she fumbles & cant pick it up under no pressure.

Yeh but it’s true
Yeah, and sometimes it's darkest before the dawn, ala 2016 into 2017. I just don't get the abjectivity tbh
It’s capability more than game plan , a lot of slow players both mind and body , tbh the injury list might be long , we only miss 3 of , Ellie , gabby and bec miller , the rest are bloody ordinary , I count both hoskos in that . Both the train on players in wiki and dankert are already impacting at least at their level with less stuff ups

most frustrating part to me is why the girls don’t handball quicker , would move the ball so much quicker ,,,,it’s not u8s you dont hold onto the bloody thing until contact comes and then try and dribble a handball out , pick the @&#$ thing up , quick hands to a teammate running past , should be like basket ball , refrain from kicking unless in hands of , Moncon, demps or kb and in D50 sheerin/shevs,,,,rest of team handball by default at all times none of you can kick
It's even worse than that, we try and get the body upright before handballing (if we do it at all), or try and run too many steps coming up with the ball and get caught, which frankly is last century stuff, though more possible in this game. The handball is given upwards, knowing you have the player coming, you don't have to hold the ball til you are upright. You only do it if you are told you have time, but only then.

Think we are still trying to replicate some elements of chaos - we are not that good though. neither are most other teams (bar Adelaide and Melb). It's going to take us years if we persist with chaos (I think we've changed mid season though by adding bits of elements of control each week).

Last edited:
No sugar coating this, yes we have injured players out. But we have gone backwards at a rate of knots. From what I've seen they will be lucky to make the finals.

The game plan is crap. Rarely have run from behind like most other teams. We go the bomb more times than not (trying to get territory but many times it comes back the other way). Our skills are average at best.

One player I'd have no issues with trading out is Grace Egan. She can get her 15-20 touches but has average disposal.
Her 2nd efforts are poor, Oppo players just waltze out and she doesn't chase at all. Has no breakaway speed, and continually gets caught.

The game is about fastball movement, we have several mechanical-type players who wind up before disposing of the ball.
Is she the ginger haired one that is a large midfielder? She get the ball and mishandles it nearly every time. She is slooooooow

From 15 mtrs out shanks it. That would've tied it up or put us a point in front in the 3rd by memory.
Then in the last again gets a free directly in front to level the scores and misses.
Yep, it's on her to be better than that - if she is not having a hundred of those shots this week, she needs to find another Club at season's end. That is just too costly.

Last edited:
I think it was Stella Reid all on her own, no one within 30m of her in the last quarter out on the hbf. If she picks it up, she could have run past the wing & drove it in to the forward line, instead ends up being taken away by the Suns after she fumbles & cant pick it up under no pressure.

She had 10-15 not thirty, but it was a bobbling ball to begin with. She's young, she panicked when she realised she had spent her space and still didn't have control. Never happened to you in a game? She's normally cleaner than that, and her work with Katie Brennan has been good in some other games.

A player goes back to training and spends time on that this week - gets it at 90% SO THAT IT IS PART OF HER DNA.

Is she the ginger haired one that is a large midfielder? She get the ball and mishandles it nearly every time. She is slooooooow

Correct. Slow is being nice. Most times when she gets the ball she looks to handball out, as she doesn't have breakaway speed but the problem is that 9 times out of 10 her handballs in tight either go to the opposition or simply not to our advantage.

Grace Egan was the girl so many were lamenting we let go. She is slow, but contested work is good, and if you saw our midfield a few seasons ago, you take that lack of a yard because she is getting the ball and tackling well. Just need to work on some better contested work gives out of traffic. We need to buy some space - and we are not getting it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back