AFLW AFLW Tiges vs Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

The game plan is crap. Rarely have run from behind like most other teams. We go the bomb more times than not (trying to get territory but many times it comes back the other way). Our skills are average at best.
We have some run from behind, in some respects that's our problem. What we lack is the run where we give the ball forward by hand

Yeah, and sometimes it's darkest before the dawn, ala 2016 in 2017. I just don't get the abjectivity tbh

It's even worse than that, we try and get the body upright before handballing (if we do it at all), or try and run too many steps coming up with the ball and get caught, which frankly is last century stuff, though more possible in this game. The handball is given upwards, knowing you have the player coming, you don't have to hold the ball til you are upright. You only do it if you are told you have time, but only then.

Think we are still tying to replicate some elements of chaos - we are not that good though. neither are most other teams (bar Adelaide and Melb). It's going to take us years if we persist with chaos (I think we've changed mid season though by adding bits of elements of control each week).
You are spot on. Knowing to release the handball just before the tackle rather than waiting until you are run down.

Today I completed the annual obligatory AFLW game with my Mother.

Each year I come away marvelling at how poor the standard still is, and not just the skills but the complete lack of feel for the game.

I would like to think I am overreacting but I kicked more goals in a Little League game on the same ground. Yes back when they were played the full length.

As an 11 year old that I could do at half time what neither side could do in 4 quarters and what most AFLW regularly fail to do is damning.

There is no way any ALFW side would beat an U16 Boys Coates League side.

I don't know that my Mother even as any desire to continue to attend anymore.

I was sceptical before, but now it is clear - chaos footy does not work in this league. Our team spends so much energy to inch forward and then gets scored against on the counter very easily.

We need to move to a game style like North's - they conserve their energy on offence and stretch the defence by controlling the footy.

I was sceptical before, but now it is clear - chaos footy does not work in this league. Our team spends so much energy to inch forward and then gets scored against on the counter very easily.

We need to move to a game style like North's - they conserve their energy on offence and stretch the defence by controlling the footy.

If you have enough zippy players it can work because you get to the ball first and if you don't your zippy players will hunt like hyenas and force turnovers. But this rarely happens in this league because they don't have ultra fitness to do it for 4 quarters, So the question remains why play like this? Ferguson needs to seriously make tweaks to this game plan pronto.

Last edited:
I think it was Stella Reid all on her own, no one within 30m of her in the last quarter out on the hbf. If she picks it up, she could have run past the wing & drove it in to the forward line, instead ends up being taken away by the Suns after she fumbles & cant pick it up under no pressure.
The new Sophie Molan. Slower than a geriatric with a walking frame and the turning circle of the titanic

We are too slow and unfit. Both this week and last week our forward line was flooded all game whilst our defensive 50 was often empty. Ferguson try’s to play this lock in game plan and it comes back to bite us regularly. Our defenders one on one are not good enough except for no.2

Went today for my first live game this season with the young fella and I really enjoyed it as an experience. The standard clearly is better anyone saying otherwise is just trying to be confrontational

One thing I did notice live though is that Stella Reid is too slow. It’s disappointing because she has all the skills and is a good height. Not something I think can necessarily be fixed either

Bang on. However until recent times we could not even be sure we were going to get the ball to a team mate at 30 to 35 m, let along two consecutive with some pressure. Hence why that appeared to be our style. It looks like we are transitioning. This doesn't happen without time and practice.

Would be interested to hear from any training watchers what drills we are using at the moment.

Went today for my first live game this season with the young fella and I really enjoyed it as an experience. The standard clearly is better anyone saying otherwise is just trying to be confrontational

One thing I did notice live though is that Stella Reid is too slow. It’s disappointing because she has all the skills and is a good height. Not something I think can necessarily be fixed either
She needs to be used closer to goal, that is for sure. She has a quick mind and as you said, skills, particularly her kicking, something not lost on the coaches I'm sure. Her gait is awkward, I'd describe it as clopping. She is straight liner, the only comment LOTW gets right, her turning circle is not great. But everything she does in a straight line is better than most.

Last edited:

Yeah I took my little boy to was a nice day out other than the result , what I noticed as well 70% of the pley was always on one side of the wing , to much congestion as well . I agree standard has improved but still a way to go though

Wow

We let that slip, lost composure and it just got worse.
The girls looking at that last 3 min would probably want another shot at that.
We just can’t build any cohesion when we keep losing players
We did but I feel the ladder doesn’t lie , we are a battling side that’s certainly gives their all but It ain’t very productive. We should search high and low for a couple of quick smalls , the ball hits the turf often in our f50 , rarely do we scoot away with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She had 10-15 not thirty, but it was a bobbling ball to begin with. She's young, she panicked when she realised she had spent her space and still didn't have control. Never happened to you in a game? She's normally cleaner than that, and her work with Katie Brennan has been good in some other games.

A player goes back to training and spends time on that this week - gets it at 90% SO THAT IT IS PART OF HER DNA.
To me it is more lack of composure. She had time to settle & still would have had plenty of time, in the end she panicked & we cant change that. To me its not on the individual, It is more what are they training as we are still making the same mistakes of a less experienced team. We need to be better as a team, as we are struggling against teams we should be beating easy with the experience we have in the team.

We did but I feel the ladder doesn’t lie , we are a battling side that’s certainly gives their all but It ain’t very productive. We should search high and low for a couple of quick smalls , the ball hits the turf often in our f50 , rarely do we scoot away with it
I know it’s stretched out to millions but rosters just seem to be to light on for numbers
Another three players on every list I think is needed.
It’s unfair to judge Danckert on todays game.

Commentators saying it was a thrilling finish but its not good footy when players don’t know what they’re teammates are going to do it’s just scrappy bush footy.
That game could’ve gone either way.

Maybe the club needs to get brutal with list management for the future.
KB is 32 next year.

North is a team to look to for how they’ve built they’re list I think.
We need more quality between the arcs that can drift fwd and get a couple here and there

We have some run from behind, in some respects that's our problem. What we lack is the run where we give the ball forward by hand
Yes that too, link up.

Also, the problem is when you try and play chaos you need zippy players who will get to the ball first. We only have a few zippy players.

to be brutally honest we didn't deserve to win this game.
GCS were far better and should've put us away far sooner than a point after the siren.

Seymour, Miller and Ellie McK in the side, we probably/definitely win.
as everyone has noted, Grieser missing everything 15m out, Reid fumble on HBF, probably sums up the game for us.

silver lining, i like what Wicksteed is/will be capable of going forward.
Eastman as well looks solid enough to rotate thru mid/HB.

i think i understand what/why Ferg is trying to do with the team at this time.
he's playing with the cards he has been dealt, can't play like the top 4 as we haven't got the players yet.
can't play attacking because we're not skillful enough.

Ferg's no mug, he knows that we're a 6-10 side, strategizes accordingly.
keep it scrappy, play territory and put numbers at the ball.
that's why we do kick long, don't handball enough and 9/10 lose the disposals each week.
uncontested we lose by much more than we lose contested most weeks.

Ferg can't rely on us winning 1 on 1's, again because unfortunately most of our players aren't good enough versus other teams.
we have 4 maybe 5 players that are above average, the rest are average or below average.

so, we can all pot the club, players and claim to know better but that's bullshit.
this is a fair and reasonable season as to where we really are as a team.
we aren't top 4, we're a 6-10 club.
there's no shame in that.

To me it is more lack of composure. She had time to settle & still would have had plenty of time, in the end she panicked & we cant change that. To me its not on the individual, It is more what are they training as we are still making the same mistakes of a less experienced team. We need to be better as a team, as we are struggling against teams we should be beating easy with the experience we have in the team.
We should have beaten them.
I mentioned it before there would be a few that would want that last 3 min again
Sheerin trying to take advantage instead of a composed possesion and others

The question I think is do we need Reid with Jones.

All of these questions and frustrations are with a line up that isn’t our best line up

We haven’t been able to get our best on the park this year

yes true the ladder doesn't lie in this case with us

but what are we genuinely expecting????
that we're better than what we can see each week with our eyes wide open?

Wakefield retired, our best fwd, can't be replaced.
the whole fwd line can't make up for her contested marking alone.

but as I've posted, Ferg's got us playing with what the players abilities have on offer.
do we need 3 x Conti's = YES
have we got the ability to get 3 x Conti's in the near future = NO

only have to look at Adelaide, Melbourne, North and Brisbane, most of their players have been playing together for 7-8 years
can't train, recruit or buy that, only way is time

As good as Conti, Sheeran and possibly Brennan are we have some absolute howlers such as Greiser and Reid. I can only assume Greiser gets a game because there's no-one else. Missing from the goal square and not even scoring indicates that she is simply not up to standard, her goal kicking this year has been poor. I've watched Egan closely and am continually disappointed with her intent and repeat efforts, seems to do everything at half pace and her disposal by foot is sub par. I don't think we can blame the umpiring for today, the forward line was inept and we did get some goals from umpiring decisions. Pretty hard to watch some of that skill execution on what was pretty good conditions for Football.

We have 2 of the best 5 players in the comp in Conti and Sheerin and then a bunch of plodders. Brennan is not justifying her coin. Gave away 5 stupid free kicks today.

Gold Coast have gone way past us. They were a basket case 2 years ago.

Kate Sheehan has had long enough. Time to * her off.

As good as Conti, Sheeran and possibly Brennan are we have some absolute howlers such as Greiser and Reid. I can only assume Greiser gets a game because there's no-one else. Missing from the goal square and not even scoring indicates that she is simply not up to standard, her goal kicking this year has been poor. I've watched Egan closely and am continually disappointed with her intent and repeat efforts, seems to do everything at half pace and her disposal by foot is sub par. I don't think we can blame the umpiring for today, the forward line was inept and we did get some goals from umpiring decisions. Pretty hard to watch some of that skill execution on what was pretty good conditions for Football.

Ain’t a heap of depth floating around this league. Be lucky if there was enough talent for 8 teams.

NRLW is ******* miles better in terms of skill and quality. Most of the girls have played all their lives and developed their skills in social touch footy comps. Half the AFLW girls have been picked up because they are can catch a ball on the full.

AFLW is a decade away from being on the same level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain’t a heap of depth floating around this league. Be lucky if there was enough talent for 8 teams.

NRLW is ******* miles better in terms of skill and quality. Most of the girls have played all their lives and developed their skills in social touch footy comps. Half the AFLW girls have been picked up because they are can catch a ball on the full.

AFLW is a decade away from being on the same level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven’t seen nrl but your point about depth is prob right , I think the motives in expanding the comp was to broaden interest and prompt more under age girls to get involved , to that end it’s working . I don’t think it’ll take 10y as progress has been made already , 5y from now I think will be superior product to what we currently see

I see it differently - I see improvement pocked by the absence of skill as we tire. Good on you for supporting the Tigers though...... I think!
I definitely support the Tigers. Love em to death actually. I haven't noticed much improvement though. It's just frustrating to see the discipline and skill errors... still

I reckon that's harsh on a 20 year old - not clocked up 20 games yet. Bobbling ball, would she like her time again, and have it like early on in the game, where she plucked the ball and kicked a special goal - yeah we all would. Would Grieser like her hand not so heavily taped she struggled with her ball drop, would Dankert like to tackle better and stop that 3rd Qtr goal?

A game is made up of so many moments, some good, some bad. Ask Dusty whether he's made mistakes, really silly and bad ones, early on in his career.......

Anyway, for mine it's what a player learns from it. As I said in another post, good coaching is revisiting that error 20, 50, 100 times on the park in a skill drill, so that it becomes a predominately better event going forward.

yes true the ladder doesn't lie in this case with us

but what are we genuinely expecting????
that we're better than what we can see each week with our eyes wide open?

Wakefield retired, our best fwd, can't be replaced.
the whole fwd line can't make up for her contested marking alone.

but as I've posted, Ferg's got us playing with what the players abilities have on offer.
do we need 3 x Conti's = YES
have we got the ability to get 3 x Conti's in the near future = NO

only have to look at Adelaide, Melbourne, North and Brisbane, most of their players have been playing together for 7-8 years
can't train, recruit or buy that, only way is time
I expected we. would picked up where we left off last year with the 7w in a row , we are miles off that , we really beat our heads against the wall when we play , last year we were way more productive , surely Wakefield isn’t the difference alone. Our ball movement is way crude compared to several other sides and that before we get it to f50 , for most part we just bludgeon the ball forward ,,,what we’d give for some talented smalls to jump on the endless supply of ground ball coz we don’t mark many . Ferguson may well have ran his race , competitive yes , look like getting any better ,,,no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back