AFLW AFLW trade period looms as clubs ponder options for one-off draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

PLAYERS will be free to change AFLW clubs as soon as late February despite the absence of a finalised pay agreement with the League.
As previously reported by womens.afl, the upcoming Collective Bargaining Agreement between the AFL and AFLPA is expected to be a landmark joint deal incorporating both men's and women's players.
But the complex agreement – the parties are believed to be working towards a four-year arrangement – is still sometime away from being finalised.
However, elements of the CBA are set to be agreed upon to allow the AFLW's Sign and Trade period – which clubs are planning to be in late February or early March – to go ahead.
It's not the first time this has occurred, with pay tier structures for the 2020-2022 CBA signed before the season length was later agreed upon.
The post-2019 trade period was also held before the full three-year CBA was finalised.
Last year saw the one-season CBA announced on May 19, with the expansion signing period opening just five days later.
As previously reported by womens.afl, the upcoming NAB AFLW Draft – which could be held in April – will feature mature-age players only (those born in 2004 or prior).
The top-line 2004 talent was scooped up ahead of the extra season in 2022, with some players combining their year 12 studies with matches.
The 2005-born players – who are 18 this year, with most completing year 12 – will be eligible for the draft ahead of the 2024 season.
It's understood some clubs are concerned about the limited appeal of trading players for draft picks this year, with less value attached to the upcoming draft due to the absence of a fresh group of elite talent.
It is likely clubs will not have to take three open list spots in their squads of 30 to this particular draft (as has been the case in the past) given the special restrictions around mature-age talent, but the exact number is yet to be determined.

Our list size at the moment is 31 players in total
Maximum of 30 players is allowed

Current Playing List
1 Sophie Molan
2 Grace Egan
3 Katie Brennan
4 Monique Conti
5 Madeline Brancatisano
7 Sarah Hosking
10 Kodi Jacques
11 Jess Hosking
12 Sarah D'Arcy
13 Meagan Kiely
14 Poppy Kelly
15 Rebecca Miller
16 Laura McClelland
17 Katelyn Cox
18 Libby Graham
19 Kate Dempsey
20 Bethany Lynch
21 Charley Ryan
22 Ellie McKenzie
23 Harriet Cordner
25 Stella Reid
26 Stephanie Williams
27 Emelia Yassir
28 Gabrielle Seymour
29 Jemima Woods
31 Eilish Sheerin
34 Saraid Taylor®
35 Maddie Shevlin
36 Amelia Peck (injury replacement player for Charley Ryan)
37 Tessa Lavey
38 Meg Macdonald

Last edited:

Molan Branc jaques Darcy may all be tempted to split ,,,,,,I hope
…I like Darcy, I know she’s probably 5th in line now or something like that and runs like she’s wearing gumboots but I hope she gets another season.
Got a soft spot for her

…I like Darcy, I know she’s probably 5th in line now or something like that and runs like she’s wearing gumboots but I hope she gets another season.
Got a soft spot for her

Know what you are saying, she can play Ok most places, not great but OK, and has a good set of hands which is not always on show in the game.

Know what you are saying, she can play Ok most places, not great but OK, and has a good set of hands which is not always on show in the game.
Shouldn’t really come into consideration but related to Jack Titus and a life long Tige’s fan too.

Molan Branc jaques Darcy may all be tempted to split ,,,,,,I hope
Got a soft spot for her
Shouldn’t really come into consideration but related to Jack Titus and a life long Tige’s fan too.

i doubt D'Arcy will be gone this year
with the news today
we wont have to participate in the upcoming draft and we wont need to delist anymore players

i thought maybe Amelia Peck might be let go, but she's gone with a few of our girls on a development tour of USA sporting clubs, paid for by RFC
why send her there if she's going to be delisted?
strong evidence she wont be

i'd bet we stick with the playing list we have, doubt we'll even trade to be honest

Icing on the cake - Richmond is a people's club

Last edited:
i doubt D'Arcy will be gone this year
with the news today
we wont have to participate in the upcoming draft and we wont need to delist anymore players

i thought maybe Amelia Peck might be let go, but she's gone with a few of our girls on a development tour of USA sporting clubs, paid for by RFC
why send her there if she's going to be delisted?
strong evidence she wont be

i'd bet we stick with the playing list we have, doubt we'll even trade to be honest
Reckon there might a few , the names I mentioned could be interested in opportunities elsewhere

Nah reckon she might be past it , really labored in early appearances looked miles off the level
Probably right.
But I still hope I get to see her drag in a couple of c/marks and swing onto the left against some tall running type coming thru.
If she gets a game or two.
The level is a good point, you need to be very good at something now and not just an athlete who knows how to train.
If Molan has learnt to contest in the air she might have a shot at a 50 game career (175 fksake) otherwise I can’t see another team head hunting her.

Probably right.
But I still hope I get to see her drag in a couple of c/marks and swing onto the left against some tall running type coming thru.
If she gets a game or two.
The level is a good point, you need to be very good at something now and not just an athlete who knows how to train.
If Molan has learnt to contest in the air she might have a shot at a 50 game career (175 fksake) otherwise I can’t see another team head hunting her.
Molan and Darcy get shown up for a chronic lack of pace , they’d be solid players a level or two below , it shows how much the game has improved that these two really stand out as being left behind

THE NEW Priority Signing Period (PSP) kicks off on Wednesday, with Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney able to sign a cumulative 13 players without trades.

While initial thoughts upon the announcement went to high-profile players switching clubs at the drop of a hat – and Chloe Molloy has signalled her intention to move to Sydney – for the most part, it's likely to be younger players searching for greater playing opportunities or pay rises.

Those who have spent three seasons on AFLW lists are eligible to be signed under the PSP, with the Bombers able to sign two, three for the Hawks and Power and the Swans having the ability to add five.

Players are also eligible for PSP even if one of their minimum three seasons was spent as an inactive player (e.g. due to a long-term injury, illness, pregnancy or work commitments).

After last week's announcement, it has since been clarified that even expansion clubs themselves can lose up to one player to a fellow expansion club through PSP.

So, who should clubs be eyeing off as a possible PSP selection?

GABBY SEYMOUR (RICHMOND)
A unique ruck prospect, Seymour's one who may fall into the pay tier category due to a number of big-name players at Punt Road, rather than a lack of chances at the top level. One of the shortest rucks across the 18 clubs at just 175cm, the former volleyballer's leap allows Seymour to both compete against much taller players and be a crucial linking player around the ground.

MADDY BRANCATISANO (RICHMOND)
Taken with pick No.15 by Melbourne in 2018 (No.9 in the then-Melbourne metro pool), the speedster moved to Richmond ahead of its debut season in 2020 after failing to make her debut. Brancatisano hasn't quite found her "spot" at Richmond, which has a number of midfielders ahead of her, and she has been more commonly on the forward flank. Played eight of 12 games in season seven (missing one with COVID), but only two of Richmond's final five.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon there might a few , the names I mentioned could be interested in opportunities elsewhere

Of those you mentioned, only Jacques and Brancat would hold any interest as they have some speed. Neat enough kicks. Neither is very secure with the ball in hand or marking the bloody thing. Molan is a stunning case of why is she still listed, while D'arcy is a pure back up number - you have to have a couple of experienced back ups - they can't all be rookies we found our early on.

Of those you mentioned, only Jacques and Brancat would hold any interest as they have some speed. Neat enough kicks. Neither is very secure with the ball in hand or marking the bloody thing. Molan is a stunning case of why is she still listed, while D'arcy is a pure back up number - you have to have a couple of experienced back ups - they can't all be rookies we found our early on.

speaking of Rookies

RFC Saraid Taylor played for Port Melbourne in their weekend practice match versus Carlton
no info on how she went

would assume a few other RFC players will get rotated thru Port VFLW this season
Cordner, Ryan?

There's growing industry confidence that at least Bates and Bodey will lob at the Hawks, while Svarc is still believed to be weighing up their interest and also has other Victorian clubs monitoring her situation.

if Brancatisano wants to go to GCS, I'll drive her to the airport myself.

Mate, we will tag team it, I'll collect her at GC airport and make sure she gets in at Metricon - major collab!:moustache:

speaking of Rookies

RFC Saraid Taylor played for Port Melbourne in their weekend practice match versus Carlton
no info on how she went

would assume a few other RFC players will get rotated thru Port VFLW this season
Cordner, Ryan?
After getting cut by Richmond after last season Saraid Taylor has been picked up by Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back