Review Round 13, 2021 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact is we're just not very good. We lack class all over the ground. The way they strolled out of the centre bounces was almost comical, like a mismatched underage game. Even our work rate doesn't measure up to the good sides and there's no excuse for that. Look at how the Geelong players run to space and work up and down the ground - chalk and cheese.

Our forward line could be pretty good with a decent system but that'll never happen under the current coaching panel. Our lack of midfield class gets continually exposed by the better sides and our defense can't hack it one on one. Once the ball starts coming down there quickly it's pretty much game over.

Depressing, but 100% predictable.

Those other 15 players you’re thinking of haven’t been waxed lyrical over all year though have they? I said he was overrated and I stand by that. Not just on this forum, it’s in the media, it’s everywhere, Allir has one of the biggest fan clubs of any player on our list.

Meanwhile, bonner cops sh*t every week for doing the same sh*t Allir does.

I don’t get it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's the boom key position recruit "missing piece of the premiership puzzle".

See:
Patrick Ryder 2015
Charles Dixon 2016

Although I remember Dixon copped it from pretty early on and deservedly so I reckon.

Those other 15 players you’re thinking of haven’t been waxed lyrical over all year though have they? I said he was overrated and I stand by that. Not just on this forum, it’s in the media, it’s everywhere, Allir has one of the biggest fan clubs of any player on our list.

I guess the difference is, his best is very good, and he’s only half a season in at a new club. Even as an experienced player, it still takes awhile to bed into a new system, and develop familiarity and chemistry with teammates, especially as a defensive formation.

Bonner, Farrell, Woodcock are not at AFL standard.

Aliir cost the team BIG TIME.

DBJ needs a long, long, rest. Maybe somewhere else.

Drew needs to play as a defender. Cover for Aliir.

SPP playing in the forward line is a waste.

Allowing Stewart to play like that was poor on our behalf. A defender should not be BOG.

Positive: Ladhams surprised me...Played well.
What’s going on with DBJ? each week as his confidence drops it gets worse. Bonner needs to go, now.

I know Jonas is slow, but jeez did anyone see Houston running on the spot at half back at one point? What the hell is going on with our fitness?

The defending was absolutely awful. How do you allow so many unmarked players in your back 50?

Yeah and what’s worse is neither appear to be carrying anything.

Just plain out of form.

There is certainly a worrying trend for whatever reason that has occurred under Hinkley throughout his time in charge. Players seem to have a breakout year or period and then stagnant for a equal amount of time or longer:

WINES: Amazing first few years before an equal period where he struggled to find his best form.
SPP: Fantastic first year before a drop off in form.
DBJ: All Australian in 2020, way out of form this year.
LOBBE: More than a serviceable ruckman in 2014 then almost lost his talent overnight like Ian Baker-Finch the golfer.
HARTLETT: Had the potential to be an 'A Grade' player but never reached that standard.
WINGARD: Duel All Australian from memory very early in his career and never reached those heights again as a player.

Just a few names off the top of my head which probably sum up why Port Adelaide has never had success under Hinkley as many of our players haven't been able to at least maintain their level of performance from year to year or ideally improve to become elite.
I'm more than a little concerned that the same will occur again with our elite youngsters drafted from the last 2-3 years.

I've come to the conclusion after last night and our games against Brisbane, West Coast & the Dogs we aren't contending for a flag with the side currently without Butters, Duursma, Clurey & others out injured. The drop off to their replacements is to stark, and the quality in that group and what they provide structurally amongst them we can't replace with what's come in. Losing Butters & Duursma has also put pressure and taggers onto Houston, Amon and a couple more and they don't handle it against the elite sides. Clurey being out has exposed our defence and members of that group badly also. Proof is in the pudding and 3 of those 4 losses have shown it, Butters and Duursma were in the side against West Coast.

Going forward I'm not 100% convinced anymore that Boak, Gray, Dixon and a few of the older boys will be part of our next flag either. I'm not suggesting go into full rebuild mode, or suggesting they're and issue, none of our players try harder or leave it all out there more then the senior group currently, I'm just projecting forward and wondering when the next flag might be as that's the name of the game not just making finals. I think the time is coming with the way this season is panning out that the same discussion needs to be had about Ken Hinkley going forward after his contract expires unless we fall off a cliff like 2018.

Last night was a gallant effort against a full strength Geelong, but you don't keep losing the same game, the same way, with the same stupid mistakes and think all is rosy.

I feel there's a crossroads coming for our club in the next 18 months, what way we go with it I'm unsure. Hell getting Butters, Duursma and co back may get us back to being a elite side this year, and I hope it does, but I can't help but think we blew our golden chance for a flag last year, and chances like that don't come very often and we didn't seize it.

That loss really hurts our season. Unlike others, I feel like the effort and intent is there but we are missing too many of our better player’s to beat good teams.

We are capable of getting a run on in the back half of the season but the hole that is season 2021 gets a little deeper each week.

Last edited:
Oh boy, why oh why do we not play hayes in ruck ?
I am so sick of seeing Dixon in the centre bounces like who is this coach and surely not everyone agrees with this approach.

Like literally no-one charged in and hit it hard last night and we started so flat just poor mindset.

Like has Bonner ever bumped or tackled or smashed someone in his entire footy career?

A lot of the coverage this week on Fox footy was about Buckley and how he never won a flag with Collingwood.

Well he did actually win a flag with the magpies just not the Collingwood magpies.

Maybe, swap him in for a coach he can win another flag with Port.

That would just s$&t Eddie off like nothing else
Just saying...

Oh boy, why oh why do we not play hayes in ruck ?
I am so sick of seeing Dixon in the centre bounces like who is this coach and surely not everyone agrees with this approach.

Like literally no-one charged in and hit it hard last night and we started so flat just poor mindset.

Like has Bonner ever bumped or tackled or smashed someone in his entire footy career?

A lot of the coverage this week on Fox footy was about Buckley and how he never won a flag with Collingwood.

Well he did actually win a flag with the magpies just not the Collingwood magpies.

Maybe, swap him in for a coach he can win another flag with Port.

That would just s$&t Eddie off like nothing else
Just saying...

Bucks has just hooked up with some Instagram influencer looking plastic surgery chick who posts s**t like "live laugh love". I don't think he's the right man for the job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have injuries but every team does.

That went as expected. We find a way to get back into the game after a discussion at one of the breaks but seriously, the first collapse in the last 15min of the second and the last collapse 15min of the last are so predictable.

Hinkley has had plenty of time to prove himself, he’s not up to it.

I get the feeling we are average team who can play well when all the stars align.

There is certainly a worrying trend for whatever reason that has occurred under Hinkley throughout his time in charge. Players seem to have a breakout year or period and then stagnant for a equal amount of time or longer:

WINES: Amazing first few years before an equal period where he struggled to find his best form.
SPP: Fantastic first year before a drop off in form.
DBJ: All Australian in 2020, way out of form this year.
LOBBE: More than a serviceable ruckman in 2014 then almost lost his talent overnight like Ian Baker-Finch the golfer.
HARTLETT: Had the potential to be an 'A Grade' player but never reached that standard.
WINGARD: Duel All Australian from memory very early in his career and never reached those heights again as a player.

Just a few names off the top of my head which probably sum up why Port Adelaide has never had success under Hinkley as many of our players haven't been able to at least maintain their level of performance from year to year or ideally improve to become elite.
I'm more than a little concerned that the same will occur again with our elite youngsters drafted from the last 2-3 years.
This all starts at the top with Koch, he allows poor seasons to continue under Hinkley, then in turn that filters down the line to the players and so on.

This club is under no pressure to succeed. As long as members keep renewing, NTA at AO bangs out at home game it's all good with the club.

Why does the club keep making doco's about the history of Port Adelaide then produce rubbish football and it's okay.

Bucks has just hooked up with some Instagram influencer looking plastic surgery chick who posts sh*t like "live laugh love". I don't think he's the right man for the job

Wait.

Live Laugh Love you say?

* that’s deep man. Why didn’t anyone else ever think of that. She’s a genius and may have just solved every problem in the world.

* Bucks. She should be our new coach. Her philosophy is much better than our current coaches one of,

Suck Lose Die

I’m on board. Live laugh love.

Wow. This is a game changer.

Wait.

Live Laugh Love you say?

fu** that’s deep man. Why didn’t anyone else ever think of that. She’s a genius and may have just solved every problem in the world.

fu** Bucks. She should be our new coach. Her philosophy is much better than our current coaches one of,

Suck Lose Die

Wait.

Live Laugh Love you say?

fu** that’s deep man. Why didn’t anyone else ever think of that. She’s a genius and may have just solved every problem in the world.

fu** Bucks. She should be our new coach. Her philosophy is much better than our current coaches one of,

Suck Lose Die

Should replace the scarves now from never tear us apart to live laugh love so good

Put a line through them. Repeat after me, this club will never win a Premiership with Mr. Mediocre, Ken Hinkley at the helm. This team is just like him. He has one good season, the team establish a multi goal lead against a contender at home. He gets his contract extension, his team make you think they might be able to take the next step. The coach then dishes up medicore garbage for the rest of his contract and the team cop 5 goals on the spin and that win that would've made you believe in them disappears. We'll finish 5th or 6th, win our home elimination final and then lose the semi final away the following week. It's oh so predictable, but the happy clappers will go, "he did well, got us to finals". That doesn't cut it. No premiership = FAILURE. 17 years and counting, why is this utter bilge still tolerated?

Honestly, I'm not so sure we don't have another '11-4 to oblivion' scenario staring us in the face. I saw the looks on the players faces last night. It said "I don't think we're anywhere near it".
They've been gargling Hinkley's jizz for such a long time they actually bought his crap. Last night it hit a few of them square between the eyes. You don't see Travis Boak lose his cool in frustration. Last night he clearly lost it with a team mate or two.

Well that was very disappointing.
We had our chances but some bad turnovers and shocking kicking into the forward line for Geelong to constantly mark.

Some very ordinary performances by Bonner, Woodcock and Farrell. Also quiet games from SPP, DBJ and Motlop.
I hope a few in our 2s stand up because we need to make some changes.

It’s quite alarming that we rely so much on Robbie and Travis.
On a positive, how good has Wines been this year.

Wait.

Live Laugh Love you say?

Suck Lose Die

Love laugh lovery for longery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back