Draft 2021 AFLW Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

the live Draft thread is now open here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The expectation is that WA will have a few girls looking to get drafted interstate because the interest isn't there from Eagles or Freo, Gold Coast would be stupid not to through their hat in the ring as an option for them given it's essentially WA on the East Coast, minus the footy fanaticism, and with Joyce now coach it wouldn't be a shock to see some of the more speculative Tassie girls like Prokopiec, Maurer, Webster, etc. nominate Queensland, but overall yes it is looking grim for them, think it's telling when you have such a big offer for interstate A-graders and no one takes it
I'd wondered about the Tassie girls with Joyce moving up there. North didn't move around much in anticipation of a King bid. Is it possible that:

A) Perri King isn't as highly rated as I'd expected? From my viewing, I'd have thought she's in best handful of mids in the NAB League or, at worst, just outside that.

B) Perri King nominates Queensland? She's not going to get much mid time at North - at least early on. It's conceivable she might if she followed Joyce up North.

The other nomination one I've been thinking about for a while is Morphett. I know she's from the NSW side of the border and part of the Giants Academy and everything, but the Giants also have two very big, young rucks. Is it possible she chooses to go Vic? I think there would be a bunch of teams interested if she did.

I'd wondered about the Tassie girls with Joyce moving up there. North didn't move around much in anticipation of a King bid. Is it possible that:

A) Perri King isn't as highly rated as I'd expected? From my viewing, I'd have thought she's in best handful of mids in the NAB League or, at worst, just outside that.

B) Perri King nominates Queensland? She's not going to get much mid time at North - at least early on. It's conceivable she might if she followed Joyce up North.

The other nomination one I've been thinking about for a while is Morphett. I know she's from the NSW side of the border and part of the Giants Academy and everything, but the Giants also have two very big, young rucks. Is it possible she chooses to go Vic? I think there would be a bunch of teams interested if she did.
I didn't realise the Tassie to North connection was bid reliant, is that in writing somewhere? If so I'm surprised North didn't try to do some more manoeuvring, I'd think that pick 19 is in danger of being the one required, and the assumption obviously is that it gets used on Rennie (is that her name, sorry forgot) from the dogs.
The Queensland nom would be massive if it eventuated, and I actually hope it does given we'll see her sooner, and in a more critical role, than at North

I have King 10th overall from the Vic/Tas players. She could easily be a first rounder, but might slide due to North having dibs. I’d be surprised if she didn’t go to North despite Joyce going to GC. I reckon GC is more of an option for the other Tassie players.

I didn't realise the Tassie to North connection was bid reliant...
I could be wrong. My memory was that Tassie girls had to nominate Vic, then there was a bidding process similar to FD. I can find no evidence of such, however. I did find this article from 2019 on the GC website, however, that seems to have some rules on their nomination, which might be relevant to your above discussion.

Outside of inside ball winning she doesn't really have a point of difference, if she's getting picked up it's going to be later on when teams are weighing up taking speculative picks or going for relative safety. It's ironic you say you didn't notice Smith at the championships when she won more footy in the SA and Queensland games than Macrae as well, but hey mistakes happen. What's probably most impressive about Smith is she's shown to be capable when it tight situations despite being exclusively a winger, could see her moving to a rover role in time and maintaining that ball winning and compsure in her disposal.
Slender is a jet with a good history for top performances, versatile, tall, good mark, ball user and smooth as butter through traffic, I wouldn't be shocked, or even mark it against them, if Geelong went with her at 1, I doubt it happens however.

Slender's numbers are average at best. If a player like Olivia Barber, who was an All Australian forward as a bottom ager managed to slide into the second round, I can't see Slender going too high. But it is a shallow draft.

As for Smith, I'd love to see the clearance difference between McCrae and Smith. Do you have the numbers?

I could be wrong. My memory was that Tassie girls had to nominate Vic, then there was a bidding process similar to FD. I can find no evidence of such, however. I did find this article from 2019 on the GC website, however, that seems to have some rules on their nomination, which might be relevant to your above discussion.
Well that is a nice little find, thank you! So theoretically Pauga can only nominate Brisbane or whole Queensland zone like I suspected, but if Tassie girls were to want to head to the suns they have to nominate whole state. Interesting, given the strength of Brisbanes academy girls I doubt they'd be looking at any one else unless they were truly exceptional.

Slender's numbers are average at best. If a player like Olivia Barber, who was an All Australian forward as a bottom ager managed to slide into the second round, I can't see Slender going too high. But it is a shallow draft.

As for Smith, I'd love to see the clearance difference between McCrae and Smith. Do you have the numbers?
Ah yes, that's a funny trick in AFL/ AFLW recruiting, weighing up numbers against watching the games, current impact against potential, etc. and it's why recruiters are paid the big bucks and I'm just a nuffie behind a computer, but I'd be taking Slender at 3 without a second thought. Actually no that's not true, I'd definitely consider Friend or Reid as well

And yes, Smith got more clearances in both the champs games as well

Just a standard nomination and drafting process for Tasmanian players. No different to SA players wanting to be drafted by Adelaide, or NSW players wanting to be drafted by GWS.

WHAT ARE THE DRAFT REGIONS?
  • Victoria (All Victorian Clubs)
  • Tasmania (North Melbourne) – must reside in Tasmania
  • South Australia (Adelaide Crows)
  • Western Australia (Fremantle or West Coast)
  • Gold Coast Only (Gold Coast SUNS zone)
  • Brisbane Only (Brisbane Lions zone)
  • Queensland (Brisbane or Gold Coast SUNS)
  • New South Wales (GWS Giants)
  • International (all Clubs – only available to Players who normally reside outside of Australia)

Just a standard nomination and drafting process for Tasmanian players. No different to SA players wanting to be drafted by Adelaide, or NSW players wanting to be drafted by GWS.

Thanks for doing the research no one else was willing to do :tearsofjoy:

Well that is a nice little find, thank you! So theoretically Pauga can only nominate Brisbane or whole Queensland zone like I suspected, but if Tassie girls were to want to head to the suns they have to nominate whole state. Interesting, given the strength of Brisbanes academy girls I doubt they'd be looking at any one else unless they were truly exceptional.

Ah yes, that's a funny trick in AFL/ AFLW recruiting, weighing up numbers against watching the games, current impact against potential, etc. and it's why recruiters are paid the big bucks and I'm just a nuffie behind a computer, but I'd be taking Slender at 3 without a second thought. Actually no that's not true, I'd definitely consider Friend or Reid as well

And yes, Smith got more clearances in both the champs games as well

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Slender. But for the u19 championships, do you have the stats documented?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Slender. But for the u19 championships, do you have the stats documented?
Smith had 2 more clearances against SA and 2 more against QLD than McRae
I'm limited in how much exact stats I can actually give, but Smith was higher in all stats bar tackles

I'm limited in how much exact stats I can actually give, but Smith was higher in all stats bar tackles
'

Fair enough. However, you must be something other people and coaches aren't seeing because Mcare was high in the coaches votes for the first two games. In the second round, McRae dominated as their best. Smith only made an appearance in the last round. But we'll move on.

VICTORIAN ZONE POWER RANKINGS:

1 Georgie Prespakis (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
2 Charlie Rowbottom (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
3 Tara Slender (Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)
4 Ella Friend (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
5 Stella Reid (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
6 Jaide Anthony (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
7 Tess Craven (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
8 Amanda Ling (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
9 Annie Lee (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
10 Perri King (Tasmania Devils/Allies)
11 Aurora Smith (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
12 Nyakoat Dojiok (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
13 Gabbi Featherston (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
14 Georgia Campbell (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
15 Poppy Schaap (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
16 Neve Crowley (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
17 Meagan Kiely (North Melbourne/VFLW)
18 Ingrid Houtsma (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
19 Tahlia Gillard (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
20 Emelia Yassir (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

My Power Rankings FYI. I think it's highly likely we see a VFLW player enter considerations and Kiely has been the highest performing player. Naturally like the boys I consider upside a fair bit, hence Slender, Friend, Anthony, Featherston and Houtsma who I all rate pretty highly. I imagine most would have Featherston behind Schaap and that's fair enough, but think she has some serious potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'

Fair enough. However, you must be something other people and coaches aren't seeing because Mcare was high in the coaches votes for the first two games. In the second round, McRae dominated as their best. Smith only made an appearance in the last round. But we'll move on.
I'm not looking for the best on ground, I'm looking for traits that'll hold girls in good stead at the next level

VICTORIAN ZONE POWER RANKINGS:

1 Georgie Prespakis (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
2 Charlie Rowbottom (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
3 Tara Slender (Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)
4 Ella Friend (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
5 Stella Reid (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
6 Jaide Anthony (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
7 Tess Craven (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
8 Amanda Ling (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
9 Annie Lee (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
10 Perri King (Tasmania Devils/Allies)
11 Aurora Smith (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
12 Nyakoat Dojiok (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
13 Gabbi Featherston (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
14 Georgia Campbell (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
15 Poppy Schaap (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
16 Neve Crowley (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
17 Meagan Kiely (North Melbourne/VFLW)
18 Ingrid Houtsma (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
19 Tahlia Gillard (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
20 Emelia Yassir (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

My Power Rankings FYI. I think it's highly likely we see a VFLW player enter considerations and Kiely has been the highest performing player. Naturally like the boys I consider upside a fair bit, hence Slender, Friend, Anthony, Featherston and Houtsma who I all rate pretty highly. I imagine most would have Featherston behind Schaap and that's fair enough, but think she has some serious potential.

I must say the amount of Tassie talent that has moved to VFLW hasn't disappointed at all. There's probably more talent on that island than there is in Sydney.

I’ll riot if we don’t take Amy Franklin first pick.

And I can’t see Freo skipping Rowley next pick
Where does Charlie Thomas fit with those two. She’s been injured since Rd 2 of WAFLW and didn’t play for WA but looked as good as Franklin and Rowley last year.

Where does Charlie Thomas fit with those two. She’s been injured since Rd 2 of WAFLW and didn’t play for WA but looked as good as Franklin and Rowley last year.
She'd be the third (or at worst fourth) pick of them for sure. Heaps of talent, just unlucky due to injury. Throw in Dana East, Makaela Tuhakaraina, Sarah Lakay and Chloe Reilly as the top prospects from WA.

I'm really keen to get a look at Kiely and a couple of the other North girls who have put up big numbers (I think they've got 1st, 2nd and 6th in total disposals right now). It seems highly likely that the VFLW is going to be a factor. Three VFLW players got taken in the top-15 Vic picks last time there was a VFLW season and North, in particular, seem to love a mature age recruit. The big questions for me, in terms of mature age players, are how many get taken and how early do they start going off the board? I believe it was 27 NAB Leaguers last year that got taken. Not sure we get that many this year. Once teams have taken the Academy girls and the big improvers off the board it's going to be down to preference.

If we get a combine this year, that will probably help a few of the girls. I assume Featherston has a good vertical given that she does so much rucking against much taller girls. Somebody will run a crazy 2k. Really interested to see who the fastest players are.

Eliza West has just been taken off the draft board. Melbourne have signed her as a rookie. Also, Alison Downie is now a Pie.

I'm really keen to get a look at Kiely and a couple of the other North girls who have put up big numbers (I think they've got 1st, 2nd and 6th in total disposals right now). It seems highly likely that the VFLW is going to be a factor. Three VFLW players got taken in the top-15 Vic picks last time there was a VFLW season and North, in particular, seem to love a mature age recruit. The big questions for me, in terms of mature age players, are how many get taken and how early do they start going off the board? I believe it was 27 NAB Leaguers last year that got taken. Not sure we get that many this year. Once teams have taken the Academy girls and the big improvers off the board it's going to be down to preference.

If we get a combine this year, that will probably help a few of the girls. I assume Featherston has a good vertical given that she does so much rucking against much taller girls. Somebody will run a crazy 2k. Really interested to see who the fastest players are.

It would be great to get some VFLW stats to see who along with Kielty are the leading mature age Victorians. Gavalas, Amy McDonald and others have done well at that level and coped with the step up and if this years draft does drop off then clubs could be well placed to bring in someone ready to go.

As for North they will surely be looking to recruit some backline depth as they have been very mid focused which has left them light on at either end.

Yeah I've included a fair few in my rankings that go down to 70.

I can only see maybe 30-35 NAB Leaguers being picked up most likely, clubs are mixed on VFLW and tbh in most cases they will probably look to their own VFLW club.

Between my 20-40 I have seven players I've seen enough of to consider. Western Bulldogs' Brooke Hards (ex-Pios), North's Sarah Skinner and of course Essendon's Georgia Nanscawen (who for a club crying out for a lock and load inside mid, easiest pick). North's list manager Rhys Harwood has gone on record to say he expects both Kiely and Skinner to be considered.

“I think a number of the Tassie players on our VFLW list and also the girls coming up are right in the draft mix, for not only us but I assume other clubs as well. “I think that’s the type of players we look to bring into our VFLW programs, to bring up. “Players that we can expose to our system, expose to other clubs, and that we think have long-term scope to play AFLW.

“Meagan Kiely’s a great example of a player that I think has been able to put so many runs on the board this year that she would be a consideration for a number of clubs I would suspect. “Sarah Skinner the same, it’s obviously hard for a lot of clubs to see a lot of TSLW, we obviously do, but a lot of clubs probably don’t get the opportunity, so the capacity to bring her up and expose her to other clubs is great as well. “I think all of the players that we bring up or that are playing, are really pushing, and all are really keen to play AFLW. “That’s one thing we want to do is bring up players who want to take their game to the next level.”

In terms of Hards, she's my pick for most underrated externally, but highly rated internally. Played every game for the Dogs (only her and Simone Ruedin) have. Got athleticism, ball-winning, defensive pressure, and has improved her versatility and composure more this year which was a key reason she had to stand up. Ignoring stats, she has high impact with ball-in-hand when she has the confidence to go, which she has been working on.

Nanscawen has the AFLW experience so you know what you are going to get. Big question mark is age, but if you're a contender that won't matter, or even if you're rebuilding and you want another body around the stoppages, I think she is the safest choice to make.

--

Collingwood have a duo in Matilda Zander and Olivia Meagher. I've been big on Zander since she played in the SANFLW and tried to come across to the Pies last season to play a year under ex-Redlegs coach Steve Symonds. I was expecting him to potentially take her anyway last year, but took another Redlegs player in Bella Smith. I believe Zander has what it takes at the top level to be a forward that packs punch, whilst Meagher is another player who has developed more of an outside game in her lead-up to playing for the Pies, and the fact she has gone with them instead of her zoned team Hawthorn (being Eastern Ranges) is always interesting.

Alana Barba (Essendon) continues to improve and I think could be worth a look given she can play inside or outside, but tackling is her go, inside ball and her ability to execute continues to improve, and the interesting one (though the last of this group) is Sophie Locke (Port Melbourne). Ex-Murray and Vic Country lockdown defender, she's turned herself into an exciting forward. Injury mid-season has hurt her and now the COVID lockdown hasn't helped, but her form prior to injury was great and she was leading the goalkicking at one stage.

Depends on that injury doesn’t it.

Franklin rates Thomas higher than her self, being humble aside, so I’d think clubs may spend a later pick on here. She is keeping as fit as possible

Reckon we’ve got an eye on her given we delisted Alicia Janz
That delisting is interesting, I had the same thought that maybe you guys are taking her with your 2nd pick, but given how much the WA clubs talk to the State academy staff is it possible that each club essentially knows who the other us taking with each pick 🤷‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back