Review Round 15, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I look forward to every player who plays for a free being fined for staging.

Reminds me of Daniel Rich getting a week for nudging someone towards a fence as part of a crackdown. Yeah ok.

Ho hum, at least it’s only a grand.

Wow 'Brett C' you have virtually called me stupid in a post and then stated.. a poster who’s rarely ever able to form a coherent argument or thought in any of their posts
Whist a few of my post (probably too many) have been negative towards Birch, and a couple towards Lester and Adams (although recently have acknowledged Adams has improved and deserves another contract), I did state that Birch would play a role in the back end of the season and the finals. I also stated that in 2020 of all the regular backs Birchall spent the most time off the ground.

You seem to have ignored the following post over the past couple of years, which I believe demonstrates for an old retired bloke I still can contribute a little towards the various discussion on this site;

a) I have been a strong advocate to play some of the young guys over the past two years, with an eye on the future, because unlike teams such as Geelong, I believe our premiership window is not 1 or 2 years but potentially 6 or 7 years. I posted back in 2020 that Payne deserved an opportunity and he will now be a long term player for us. This year I called for Madden to be given a chance due to his pace and he has shown promise in his few games. I have also mentioned a few others in various posts.

b) I supported Starc in a few positives post after his first 15 games when some were questioning if he would make it. I stated young guys just need a chance to develop etc etc

c) I have posted a number of times how much I like Robertson and especially Bailey, and after the round 1 loss to Sydney when some thought he held the ball too often and gave away a few frees, I was positive and stated that I rather see him take the game on as he grew in confidence, he would be a very good player for us.

d) After the round 4 loss to the Dogs when sitting at 1 and 3, a few posters were worried about the 2021 season and I posted that we had a relatively easy H & A fixture (despite playing the 2020 GF twice) and stated we could still finish 2021 somewhere between 3rd and 6th. I also stated over a month ago I was confident we could beat Port, Eagles and Cats at the GABBA

e) I stated at the beginning of the year that unfortunately hubs were very likely

f) I maintain that our backline is too slow with Birch, Lester and Rich all playing and some of the top teams such as the Dogs, Demons, Tigers will exploit that. I know it is only a small sample size but how much better did the structure of the backline look with some leg speed via Payne and especially Madden

I have really enjoyed Big Footy there are so many knowledgeable people who contribute across a range of issues and I enjoy the match previews immensely having not as much knowledge as some. This will be my last post for sometime but will keep reading and GO THE LIONS!
Ralphy, could I very gently suggest that you are being a bit too sensitive to ONE poster. I am a dentist and a cricket umpire and would get more dislikes than you could ever imagine (most deserved probably).

I agree with my wife all the time but I don't mind an argument online.

I read your stuff and say thanks you post.

We just smashed the Cats on the weekend and we are picking on minor things. It’s almost like people just can’t be happy. Lighten up people!

Hey I’m stoked. In keeping with the Learning culture there’s things we can do better. Should never be too arrogant not to see them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dev Robertson rising star - another good outcome from the game.

Deven Robertson is the Rising Star nominee.
Apologies if this has been spoken about but is there any reason why Dev slid thru to us in the second round? I have read multiple articles stating he was tipped to go in the first round but haven’t found anything about why people believe he wasn’t picked up sooner. I’m not complaining tho, I love him! Just curious I guess….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this has been spoken about but is there any reason why Dev slid thru to us in the second round? I have read multiple articles stating he was tipped to go in the first round but haven’t found anything about why people believe he wasn’t picked up sooner. I’m not complaining tho, I love him! Just curious I guess….
I’ll give this a crack.

Geelong, Richmond and Carlton tried to get tricky with their later first round draft picks and screwed up.

I thought the main reason was his kicking, but would be surprised as he was the Larke (spelling?) medalist which is the best performed youngster in the U18's or something which is a huge accomplishment. His kicking is a bit iffy but looks like it is getting better, but still...

From my readings it is all down to his disposal.

I’ll give this a crack.

Geelong, Richmond and Carlton tried to get tricky with their later first round draft picks and screwed up.

If I remember correctly, we did some kind of pick swap with another club after the end of the first round (was it Port?) so we got the first pick in the second round, to make sure we picked up Dev.

We pulled the rug from under another club who were reportedly going to take him with their first pick in the Second round. Maybe Carlton?

It was something like that that but you would be clearer on the details than me, no doubt

If I remember correctly, we did some kind of pick swap with another club after the end of the first round (was it Port?) so we got the first pick in the second round, to make sure we picked up Dev.

We pulled the rug from under another club who were reportedly going to take him with their first pick in the Second round. Maybe Carlton?

It was something like that that but you would be clearer on the details than me, no doubt
I do recall the last minute pick trade. Super happy with how that panned out haha.

There were knocks on his kicking in his draft year. That’s all.

Otherwise teams went looking for players that had the physical and athletic attributes of certain prototypical midfielders.

Geelong drafted a local Falcons mid who is a taller, big bodied mid, who broke his leg at the beginning of his draft year. Was considered a late first round pick at the beginning of the year, with a knock on his kicking. Got himself really fit, and turned up at the draft combine and blitzed the athletic testing.

Then Geelong went tall, reaching for Sam De Koning, who was very much a project tall, in a draft that was pretty shallow in genuine KPP’s.

Carlton drafted Brodie Kemp who was an athletic beast and Paddy Cripps sized, but did his acl towards the end of his draft year.

Then Carlton drafted Sam Philp who was and Ely Smith clone. Very athletic, big bodied, and very, very raw with a dodgy kick.

And Richmond drafted Thomson Dow who has a very similar athletic profile to his brother, but was a much rawer prospect.

Basically teams looking for players who could become something better, a difference maker, but are somewhat long shots to make it.

I do recall the last minute pick trade. Super happy with how that panned out haha.
We had the second pick of the second round.

It was long speculated before the draft that we wanted to trade up in to the top 11, presumably for Robertson, but couldn’t swing a deal.

So traded out our then pick 16 for a future first round pick with Port, as we figured Robertson would be gone. Lot of talk that Trent Rivers was our target with our second round pick.

Port had the first pick of round two, and were linked to Dylan Williams.

We had the second pick of round two and wanted Robertson.

Adelaide had the third pick of second round and were reportedly interested in Robertson.

Adelaide were trying to trade with Port for the first pick of the second round, and we had to out bid Adelaide to make sure we got our man.

I noticed the Daniher/Cameron lack of pressure at times too and it didn't look great. The only thing I'd say in response is that we also seemed to "play through" those guys a lot more and so they were working pretty hard. And is it a coincidence that they were also the most dangerous attacking players on the park?

I reckon some players have a clear licence to be lax defensively - eg Dusty Martin doesn't run both ways all that often. Hardwick clearly wants Dusty to be as fresh as possible to impact the game offensively. I don't think we have one player who has that licence though.

At other times, while I have no evidence for this, I reckon clubs must let certain players know to keep themselves a bit fresher during a game. It might be because the game tactics will mean we'll target them more in attack. Or there's a matchup that's favourable that can be exploited. It isn't necessarily the same player every week but I reckon there's now an understanding that sometimes there's more to be gained by keeping your most important player/s fresh than there is applying manic pressure across all 22 players, all game.
Charlie attacks 100% when play is open. That's his job. But when the ball is in dispute he pressures as well as the next man.
It's all about reading the play and switching focus at the right time. That's our game plan. Everyone has their role, and we respect the intelligence of our lads.

It was long speculated before the draft that we wanted to trade up in to the top 11, presumably for Robertson, but couldn’t swing a deal.

So traded out our then pick 16 for a future first round pick with Port, as we figured Robertson would be gone. Lot of talk that Trent Rivers was our target with our second round pick.

Adelaide had the third pick of second round and were reportedly interested in Robertson.

Adelaide were trying to trade with Port for the first pick of the second round, and we had to out bid Adelaide to make sure we got our man.

Thanks.

I knew there was some maneuvering involved but I couldn't remember the exact details.

Whatever, we got our man and our man has been worth it:brisbane:

Otherwise teams went looking for players that had the physical and athletic attributes of certain prototypical midfielders.

Basically teams looking for players who could become something better, a difference maker, but are somewhat long shots to make it.

That's how I recalled it to. Basically he kept sliding because teams wanted the prototypical "high ceiling" players in the last first round over someone who had already produced consistently.

Digging back into my draft night notes (and given it's almost two years ago I doubt I'm breaking any secrecy covenants):
  • Reading between the lines, we had Dev Robertson was rated in the 3-8 range. Despite being asked explicitly, they wouldn't confirm anything because they didn't want unnecessary pressure put upon him (unlike other clubs).
  • We traded out of 16 under the expectation that one of our preferences for that pick would still be available at 23. Obviously the expectation was that Robertson would already be taken.
  • We were trying to trade back into the first round for Robertson from about pick 14.
Depending on how else things may had fallen, we'd probably could have taken Prior (ranked 13-24 range) at 23 and been happy.

Back