News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

Purely my personal opinion

Teague will not be coach next year, unless he has a remarkable turnaround for the rest of the year. Experienced coach to be engaged

Lloyd gone

Liddle to be told to get back in his lane

Stanton, Bruce, gone

Playfair type/Footy Director gapping hole, that role will be a big positive

We will lose 1-3 players that will cause some melts, but additions will be a pleasing counter

An informed opinion (as in some intel you've got) or just a speculative personal opinion based on "reading" the room as they say

Any one of Jones, Weiters or McKay goes down and we have a big problem.

Not that I’d expect any player coming in for any of those guys to play at that level but I think we really lack for both developing talent and support in those posts.

Yep, but we're in the position we are because Curnow and Marchbank keep breaking, OMac went down, Pitto is out, Levi has been playing under duress, Macreadie didn't come on, BSoS didn't show enough grunt, Goddard and Moore didn't grab their second chances, Finbar was Finbar....

We haven't been negligent with recruiting talls. We've taken a mix of elite talent at the top of the draft and budget options for depth or longer term development. We've just struggled to keep them on the park and to really develop the later picks.

Good question..
Not sure, either way it is out, along with others we have talked to..
Too many leaks again...

Leaked on our side, St Kilda's side, some random who saw a coffee catchup?

Not worth getting worked up about. Carlton are conducting a review, and have spoken with an ex player who is an assistant coach at another club, and will probably speak to dozens of other candidates in the weeks ahead. Some will fly under the radar, others will make the news.

I don't care who we speak to, as long as they're part of a wide net. I don't care if I hear about it or not, as long as the end result is the formation of a team of coaches with a broad and complementary range of skills and personalities.

What do you mean get worked up over?

What do you think I'm here smashing my office :eekv1:
Simply offering my opinion on an opinion forum..

Also there are others that have been mentioned in the media..

My point is they should be sourcing Senior Coaches interest as well..

Just a turn of phrase. "Be concerned about..." may have been more appropriate, or something similar.

How do you know we're not having discreet discussions with senior candidates? Those would naturally be kept much quieter than conversations with assistant coaches given that we've publicly backed Teague to this point. Would create a shitstorm of bad press if it got out that we'd spoken with Lyon or Buckley.

Yep, but we're in the position we are because Curnow and Marchbank keep breaking, OMac went down, Pitto is out, Levi has been playing under duress, Macreadie didn't come on, BSoS didn't show enough grunt, Goddard and Moore didn't grab their second chances, Finbar was Finbar....

We haven't been negligent with recruiting talls. We've taken a mix of elite talent at the top of the draft and budget options for depth or longer term development. We've just struggled to keep them on the park and to really develop the later picks.
Agree with a majority of that but I was always nervous with the decisions made last year on the back of the list reductions. It was the worst year of development in AFL history for young players and I thought it was a bad idea to get rid of BSOS and Goddard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big issue is the assistants issue coming presumably during the review.
I find it difficult to believe that if Teague stays he doesn't get a big say in who he wants to work with and if he goes - whoever replaces Teague will have to have assistants as well- and they would need to be got after they have all been signed on..
not ideal either way .

Think he is in the box seat, if the club replace Teague

I have no doubt his style will improve the team, but unless he has added some bows, would only take us so far.

Might be another phase coach, 3 years

Geez the melts will be legendary here if we go for a "proven" coach in Lyon and we're still fringe eight in 2023.

Geez the melts will be legendary here if we go for a "proven" coach in Lyon and we're still fringe eight in 2023.

You know my thoughts on coaches, but a Lyon gameplan will get us in the 8, from there on, not sure how it would pan out

But the melts will come hard, as Lyon never really promoted youth and left clubs, needing massive overhauls

Last edited:
We will lose 1-3 players that will cause some melts, but additions will be a pleasing counter

What's your gut feeling on the players we might add? Either through draft or trade.

Also, which 1-3 players do you think we might lose that will cause melts? The players that came to mind when I read that were Setterfield and Kennedy.

Murphy's a foregone conclusion. I can't see melts if Ed finishes up. Maybe Eddie, as he's been good for a while now. LOB wouldn't raise too many eyebrows, imo. Dow's not going anywhere. SPS shouldn't be either, I hope.

Curious to hear what others think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back