When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

Fringe finals side? The Essendon vs North game was of an appalling standard of football.

Not trying to stick the boots into North they at least had a travel excuse for their average performance.

Swings and roundabouts though Carlton got West Coast when they had half their team out.
Carlton had half their team out yesterday.

Fringe finals side? The Essendon vs North game was of an appalling standard of football.

Not trying to stick the boots into North they at least had a travel excuse for their average performance.

Swings and roundabouts though Carlton got West Coast when they had half their team out.
In recent weeks they drew with GWS, beat WCE in Perth, beat GCS and took an in-form Essendon* side down to the wire.

By contrast, up to 5 weeks ago they were still getting belted by 80.

Carlton haven't beaten a good side all year so it's hard to judge even our recent form.

Can you please name the 11 starting Best 22 players missing yesterday? Does it include that lemon McGovern?

Cripps
Docherty
Curnow
Casboult
Cuningham

These are all best 18 when fit

McGovern
Philp
Marchbank
Murphy
McDonald
Fogarty (managed)

These are all in the mix for best 22 when fit, or have at least played in the seniors this year

We are still dealing with a long injury list. Probably not as bad as earlier in the year when we whopped the Ade Cows though.

P.s. how's gibbs contract taste? not as good as the 2 first rounders we got him I bet!

You poor things, non Vic sides play 10 games EVERY season outside of their home state!

It's still the VFL rebranded with an A
i think we'll break that # this year quite easily
2x Perth
2x NSW
1x Geel
1x Tas
5x QLD
1x SA
That said, it's only 3 home games (Tiges, Swans & Giants) and all 3 are on neutral grounds at least. :)

Cripps
Docherty
Curnow
Casboult
Cuningham

McGovern
Philp
Marchbank
Murphy
McDonald
Fogarty (managed)

These are all in the mix for best 22 when fit, or have at least played in the seniors this year

We are still dealing with a long injury list. Probably not as bad as earlier in the year when we whopped the Ade Cows though.

P.s. how's gibbs contract taste? not as good as the 2 first rounders we got him I bet!

Forgot....

Gibbons
McDonald
Pittonet

You poor things, non Vic sides play 10 games EVERY season outside of their home state!

It's still the VFL rebranded with an A

Essendon now locked in to play 12 games outside of Melbourne. Interstate sides games away are at least balanced with home ground advantage.

How can the season not be compromised with such inequitable travel across Victorian teams

They're not that garbage with some players back. They've started to have some good wins.

Their midfield was Grundy, Sidebottom, Adams, Pendles and De Goey - hardly garbage.

Our midfield was De Koning, Walsh, Kennedy and Dow. We had our 2 captains out plus our 2 depth ruckmen - Silvagni was our 2nd ruck ffs.

I've said it before (even after last week), but since the GWS game we're playing a lot better. Something has clicked, not everything but definitely something. Really like this core of leaders in Walsh, Weitering, McKay, Stocker and Silvagni - they have no problems taking games by the scruff of the neck. Handy that they're on every line too.

Still plenty of work to do.

Thing is a lot of sides are similar to us, in that they can look great and terrible within the same game (see GWS yesterday).

In saying that it’s very hard to see us winning enough games to make the 8, first pies loss and losing to dogs when up by 27 are the ones which have gotten away from us.

I thought game was poor but we won. Showed me again that the talent is there if we can harness it.

Weitering Walsh Stocker Dow McKay TDK Williams Saad is the core of a very good side. Kennedy showed what can happen if your given a chance in your proper spot

Kennedy did look better at times last year, but had been a complete revelation since coming in for the GWS game, very happy for him.

Setters is the one who is in big trouble the way he’s been playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is a lot of sides are similar to us, in that they can look great and terrible within the same game (see GWS yesterday).

In saying that it’s very hard to see us winning enough games to make the 8, first pies loss and losing to dogs when up by 27 are the ones which have gotten away from us.

Yeah I don't think we will make the 8, nor do we deserve to.

We will finish 10th or so, which is still an underwhelming season given the off-season recruits and hype. Good thing is we'll still be a pretty young side next year with the likes of Murphy, Betts (?), Casboult retiring.

So plenty of time to turn it around.

It's not just the big interstate clubs that get held to higher standards.

When was Port Adelaide's last 5 year rebuild?
After 5 years of crap 2008-2012 the fans were ready to burn down Alberton.

I don’t think we are held to lower standards, we have just been shit, regardless of where we are from.

Freo have largely been rubbish/average aside from under Lyon (they maybe on the way up who knows) and Gold Coast as bad if not worse than us over the decade they have been in.

West Coast, Adelaide and Sydney have just been very well run clubs, best comparison to Vic sides would be Geelong and I guess Hawthorn.

In saying that I think the crows are in for a bit of short term pain now, as are Hawthorn, but both sides know where they are at.

Only the smallest of chances of finals because of their piss easy draw. Free 8 points with 2 games against Freo in Melbourne.

Honestly think it’s the worst thing for them too scrape in as I don’t think Teague can coach.

1. We best Freo last 2 times at Optus anyway

2. If we make finals we will have to have played some good football over the next 5 weeks.

Cripps
Docherty
Curnow
Casboult
Cuningham

McGovern
Philp
Marchbank
Murphy
McDonald
Fogarty (managed)

What I look at now is how many players missing will be a key part of 2022.

Fit Cripps McGovern Pittonet Charlie Cuningham McDonald Marchbank O'Brien Fogarty Docherty Gibbons Ramsay Setterfield Carroll Kemp Parks Durdin Honey Boyd Mirkov will not only make a big difference to our best 22 next year but to our depth and competition for spots which is needed to be a top side.

I also expect significant improvement in many players. Take out Murphy Curnow Betts and we are still young and inexperienced

On top of this we will add another 6-8 new players

Yeah I don't think we will make the 8, nor do we deserve to.

We will finish 10th or so, which is still an underwhelming season given the off-season recruits and hype. Good thing is we'll still be a pretty young side next year with the likes of Murphy, Betts (?), Casboult retiring.

So plenty of time to turn it around.

We will add another 6-8 draftees/young players so we will be ever younger. I expect Murphy Casboult Betts to be gone and possibly Curnow & Newnes. Will make a big difference

We will add another 6-8 draftees/young players so we will be ever younger. I expect Murphy Casboult Betts to be gone and possibly Curnow & Newnes. Will make a big difference

Betts is interesting because we have no better option as a small forward. He old as, but he's contributing still.

Newnes should be depth and a VFL leader, really. Curnow may be slowly pushed out as someone like Kemp comes on.

Shit year, but plenty to work with still.

Gifted an extra home game against Freo whilst the Victorian club who has already had the most games out of Victoria gets shifted interstate for a month again.
How are Port allowed to travel to Melbourne and Collingwood, Carlton etc allowed to stay and yet North and us shipped off to the Gold Coast. North then got to fly home after the game whilst we get to “host” GWS and Sydney in QLD. Deadset farce and the AFL better be giving us 20 games in Melbourne next year

Lol, swings and roundabouts, just the way it is in covid times.

People read too much into home ground advantage anyway, Sydney did beat the dogs last week, they didn’t cry they were down here.

I wouldn’t of cared where our games are played v pies or north.

We play North, GC (in Melbourne) and GWS (in Melbourne, in round 23 when they will possibly already be eliminated).
We then also play Port (in Adelaide) and while we have a good record against them, that's a likely loss.

Our other match is against St Kilda (next week) and looms for both teams as a potentially decisive match.

Being Carlton, I fully expect us to lose to North this week. If not, then I can't see us beating St Kilda at the moment: not with a 16-game, 21-year old as our only fit ruckman, and only one key forward.

But if we can take care of business in the other 3 games and finish 10-12, in 10th or 11th spot... with our best 3 players suddenly Weitering (24), McKay (23) and Walsh (21), that's not a bad season and ends up being about where most people thought we would end up.

I had us 9th on my pre season prediction ladder (had Freo 8th), but there is such a logjam from 8th to 13th pretty much any of those sides could end up anywhere in that realm.

We haven’t won more than 7 games in a season since 2013, so surely we will beat that this year.

Start of the year I thought somewhere between 10-12 wins for us. I’d say worst case unless we cop more injuries is now 9 wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back