When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

Betts is interesting because we have no better option as a small forward. He old as, but he's contributing still.

Newnes should be depth and a VFL leader, really. Curnow may be slowly pushed out as someone like Kemp comes on.

sh*t year, but plenty to work with still.

We have Owies, Martin, Fisher, SPS, DC and Honey and Durdin developing. Mids can go through there.

The issue will be spots. We have two extra to lose because we brought in Boyd & Mirkov. So to bring in 8 we need to lose 10.

If we get a new coach I have no doubt they will look to the future

Cripps
Docherty
Curnow
Casboult
Cuningham

These are all best 18 when fit

McGovern
Philp
Marchbank
Murphy
McDonald
Fogarty (managed)

These are all in the mix for best 22 when fit, or have at least played in the seniors this year

We are still dealing with a long injury list. Probably not as bad as earlier in the year when we whopped the Ade Cows though.

P.s. how's gibbs contract taste? not as good as the 2 first rounders we got him I bet!

Lol Philp, McGovern, Marchbank and Murphy all best 22? Your list is in worse shape than i thought.
That Gibbs contract is likely to taste about as good as Zac Williams’.

Yeah I don't think we will make the 8, nor do we deserve to.

We will finish 10th or so, which is still an underwhelming season given the off-season recruits and hype. Good thing is we'll still be a pretty young side next year with the likes of Murphy, Betts (?), Casboult retiring.

So plenty of time to turn it around.

If we win enough games to get in from here and are better than 10 other sides, we deserve to get in.

On current showing no, which is why we are 13th.

How is playing north in qld a disadvantage?

It's not an advantage, I'm certain both sets of players would've proffered the game be played at Marvel.

Looks like we'll play GWS for the 2nd time interstate in 2021 as well, probably the Swans as well, Had to play the Hawks in Tassie and the Tigers in Perth.

Still performing though so as a fan that's super positive that we haven't packed it in.

Betts should get another year. Owies is not ready/suited to be the number one small and Durdin is not ready. Only Tippa, Cameron, Papley, Breust and Kosi have kicked more goals as pure small forwards.

Personally I’m just happy that we have dramatically changed our game style over the last month or so. Much more defensively minded and much more predictable. We probably aren’t playing great football but we are not as easy to play against as we were.

We have Owies, Martin, Fisher, SPS, DC and Honey and Durdin developing. Mids can go through there.

The issue will be spots. We have two extra to lose because we brought in Boyd & Mirkov. So to bring in 8 we need to lose 10.

If we get a new coach I have no doubt they will look to the future

I’m pretty sure Teague is safe and we will just bolster assistants, though a loss to North would spell danger for him.

I don’t expect us to have a mass clean out of the list, though at the very least Murph and Casboult will retire.

In terms of guys who could be cut if we feel there are better alternatives:

LOB
Marchbank
Parks
Williamson
Newnes
Boyd
McDonald
Honey (though I doubt it, he should get a go first)
Cottrell
Gibbons

Ones saved by contract not expiring yet:

Setterfield
Cuningham (bit harsh but has been very injury prone)

It's not an advantage, I'm certain both sets of players would've proffered the game be played at Marvel.

Looks like we'll play GWS for the 2nd time interstate in 2021 as well, probably the Swans as well, Had to play the Hawks in Tassie and the Tigers in Perth.

Still performing though so as a fan that's super positive that we haven't packed it in.

I don’t think it’s that big a deal honestly, all sides just have to get on with it.

We had the Eagles game in Sydney, but no one used that as an excuse for us, we were just crap.

Personally I’m just happy that we have dramatically changed our game style over the last month or so. Much more defensively minded and much more predictable. We probably aren’t playing great football but we are not as easy to play against as we were.

No and when sides are on top of us we don’t cop big runs of goals, even v Cats (poor execution turned what could of been a line ball game into a comfortable Geelong win)

Looks like you'll be playing the GWS seconds given their outs from covid.

You played the Blues with a huge chunk of our team out too. I was surprised we whopped you guys so easily given our injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like you'll be playing the GWS seconds given their outs from covid.

You played the Blues with a huge chunk of our team out too. I was surprised we whopped you guys so easily given our injuries.

Hopefully we fair better than you guys did vs the West coast 3rds. At least you can use the disagree react to this post and it will make sense.

Sure, but my comment was triggered by someone saying we've had a soft draw, that's incorrect IMO.

Well surely it’s helped by having played hawks and north twice? (Though losing to hawks first time could prove costly for finals chances).

But if you look at who Carlton and Essendon play twice it’s not too much different, it’s just you’ve had your double ups earlier.

Carlton sides play twice:

Collingwood
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
GWS

Essendon sides play twice:

North
Hawthorn
GWS
Sydney
Collingwood

One top 6 side each twice, we get an extra mid range team but probably offset by playing Freo twice in Melb.

It’s an imperfect draw, can work for you one year and against you the next.

Well surely it’s helped by having played hawks and north twice? (Though losing to hawks first time could prove costly for finals chances).

But if you look at who Carlton and Essendon play twice it’s not too much different, it’s just you’ve had your double ups earlier.

Carlton sides play twice:

Collingwood
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
GWS

Essendon sides play twice:

North
Hawthorn
GWS
Sydney
Collingwood

One top 6 side each twice, we get an extra mid range team but probably offset by playing Freo twice in Melb.

It’s an imperfect draw, can work for you one year and against you the next.
Bombers definitely the softest draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Betts should get another year. Owies is not ready/suited to be the number one small and Durdin is not ready. Only Tippa, Cameron, Papley, Breust and Kosi have kicked more goals as pure small forwards.

I disagree. One major problem of this rebuild has been keeping the older players. Has effected development and stopped allowing Cripps/Docherty to lead their own team. We need to look to the next flag and Cripps Docherty Walsh Weitering need to lead it on their own terms and set a new standard and culture

Like with Kennedy Dow Stocker it's amazing what happens when you give these players a decent go

At the moment we're even with 2020... 7 from 17. Shown some promise against Brisbane, Geelong, WB, Sydney, Pies (rnd2), Richmond where a bad quarter/inaccuracy snuffed a potential win. We've shown our worst against GWS, WC and Port. 2+ wins to finish of the year will show some growth, extent depends on how many wins we get 4+ = promising improvement with tails up leading into 2022 (let's not forget our end to 2020 was horrible)

I disagree. One major problem of this rebuild has been keeping the older players. Has effected development and stopped allowing Cripps/Docherty to lead their own team. We need to look to the next flag and Cripps Docherty Walsh Weitering need to lead it on their own terms and set a new standard and culture

Like with Kennedy Dow Stocker it's amazing what happens when you give these players a decent go

Who can play the small forward role? It's not like he's taking Owies spot - they seem to work together pretty well. Also I'm not convinced Owies is a long term prospect.

I wouldn't class Betts in the same mould as the other older players. He's not a former leader of the club nor does he seem like the type that would hinder Cripps and Dochertys ability to lead. He's just a good player and bloke enjoying the tail end of his career.

Do we have another dangerous small forward with tricks?

Who can play the small forward role? It's not like he's taking Owies spot - they seem to work together pretty well. Also I'm not convinced Owies is a long term prospect.

I wouldn't class Betts in the same mould as the other older players. He's not a former leader of the club nor does he seem like the type that would hinder Cripps and Dochertys ability to lead. He's just a good player and bloke enjoying the tail end of his career.

Do we have another dangerous small forward with tricks?

I rate Durdin & Honey and maybe we will recruit one at years end? I can tell you that a major issue has been the effect on Cripps/Docherty's ability to lead. It is a major reason SOS left. Teague got his way when he wanted to move on a create a whole new culture.

Regardless of my opinion I think who coaches will have a lot to do with it. If Teague stays Betts may as well

I rate Durdin & Honey and maybe we will recruit one at years end? I can tell you that a major issue has been the effect on Cripps/Docherty's ability to lead. It is a major reason SOS left. Teague got his way when he wanted to move on a create a whole new culture.

Regardless of my opinion I think who coaches will have a lot to do with it. If Teague stays Betts may as well

So Cripps and Docherty have had problems with Betts himself? I doubt that. I really do. I can believe they'd feel awkward trying to lead their way with guys like Murph and Simmo around. But Betts? Hmm.

As for it being the reason SOS left - that's a list management staff conflict, not players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back