Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something I've been wondering whose conducting the exit interviews for the players? They need to be done this week and we don't have the next coach in place and assuming it's not Harvey. If Walsh is involved in that could that slow down the coaching decision?

Wright? It’d be him. It’s also worth noting that exit interviews are pretty much a waste of time for the majority of the list they get their off-season training program and that’s it. The rest are basically told it’s the end of the line. They would already be done and I think the coaching process is down to two so I’m doubtful that’s been slowed as a result.

Edit: down to one it seems. Looks like we’ll have an announcement on our next coach shortly.

Last edited:
Just from his story, has decent experience and seems like someone that can get the best out of players. But is very unknown, so it would be a risk.
And whether or not he can handle a big club.

I actually don't want Clarko. I'd rather have someone starting out on their senior journey, so we can all grow and learn together, rather than someone who might be in a rush for success. I don't think Clarko suits where we are at. I'd rather have someone who Clarko used to be before he went to hawks, who Hardwick used to be before he went to richmond, who Simpson used to be etc. I want the start of something.

Totally agree on Clarkson - might be counter intuitive to avoid the bloke with all the accolades and experience and go for a first timer, but that's what Clarkson and most successful coaches were to begin with. Only two premiership coaches in the last 20 years were at their second club when they achieved a flag.
Also, I just don't know whether Clarkson's got the fire in the belly for an entire list rebuild over several years either which is what we need - I'd rather a young, hungry but untried coach with a broad range of experience at several clubs who can grow with the list.
McRae fits the bill as per above & has been under Clarkson, Matthews and Hardwick - that's a very useful apprenticeship. He's my preferred option.

Just from his story, has decent experience and seems like someone that can get the best out of players. But is very unknown, so it would be a risk.
And whether or not he can handle a big club.

I actually don't want Clarko. I'd rather have someone starting out on their senior journey, so we can all grow and learn together, rather than someone who might be in a rush for success. I don't think Clarko suits where we are at. I'd rather have someone who Clarko used to be before he went to hawks, who Hardwick used to be before he went to richmond, who Simpson used to be etc. I want the start of something.
I agree Jen. No doubt Clarkson has been a great coach. But he has been doing it for 16 years and senior coaching positions take alot out of the individual where their duties tend to be more than simply coaching.

We are going through a rebuild so it would still take at least another 3 years before we start making a meaningful push into finals and by that stage, you have a coach who has been in a high pressure environment for 20 years.

A new coach, who has worked under the best coaches, will bring more youthfulness, excitement and drive.

FWIW, I doubt Clarkson will coach Collingwood. He doesn't want to go through another re-build which has only just commenced. He will want to be at a team that has a chance of challenging for a premiership in the next 2/3 years, with a list that is more mature with key players on every line. It makes sense for him to go the the Blues, who are probably a player or so short in their back half, and are in need of a better game plan to tighten up when required.

Welcome to Collingwood Craig McRae

Fans collectively influence coaching tenure, champ. Club performs sh*t = discontent grows among supporters = board panics = coach sacked. The individual delusional Collingwood supporter has no say, but the individual represents the broader feeling in the fanbase. And there is a lot of delusion in our fanbase.

Our fanbase is not conditioned for a period of sustained failure like the Kangaroos fanbase. After a couple of years of late-90s football, the new coach is going to be facing a horde of angry supporters baying for blood and a new board too weak and unsettled by recent off-field turmoil to protect him.

We are in worse shape than most fans realise and this spells doom for the next coach.
champ? i was trying to be nice.

but OK then "schleprock", carry on.

Okay. Lets move on and announce McRae

Probably won’t do it today now.

You wouldn’t want McRae or whomever the successful candidate is looking like they were sloppy seconds, which a quick announcement post-Clarkson’s statement would achieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preference is that Lyon ends up at Carlton. It's a marriage made in a lawyers heaven

That could work too...........there's really no bad options now. We appoint McCrae and Carlton look the shambles they have been for decades. Lyon would plug some gameplan holes they have but I can see plenty of other potential issues he will bring.

Happy days.

You wouldn’t want McRae or whomever the successful candidate is looking like they were sloppy seconds, which a quick announcement post-Clarkson’s statement would achieve.
Announce McCrae this arvo - add that Clarko has benefitted greatly from having him at Hawks this year

Harvey should be doing it . Not sure what Walsh has to do with it - did you mean Wright?
Selwood & Skipworth may also be involved.
Harvey is the current acting senior coach…has to be running them.
All players are aware that a new coach is coming…& another sit down will take place after the break.

yeah, wont be today. But hopefully in the next week.

and the fact that he's from the West and has only dealt with that club... inexperience. The BF crew kicked buckley for a number of years for his failure to coach at other clubs before they found new things to kick him with. Jaymie is a Mark Neeld with new makeup.

He's a country boy.... He played 37 games with the eagles and STARTED coaching in 2018.....geez... like a deer in the headlights
He's done some hard yards in his life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back