Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how some people keep on about a roofed stadium, yet their happy to play in Ballarat & Canberra without any though of their winter conditions.

Yes it would be nice but I don't see the value for it. Nor where the huge investment would come from.

Yeah, nice-to-have but far from required.

Blundstone is in a bad Location though and will always be a problem in the future,imagine catering to potentially 25000 in the future with the car parking and everything there.

Its been the problem since day one in 1986 when they moved cricket there.

As said, it is a lovely ground. It was just built in a stupid place by stupid, self interested people.

The stadium Tasmania fund set up a little while ago has proposed a roof be put on one of the two existing venues, Blundstone needs it the most due to the cooler climate but I struggle to see how you could put a roof on the current stadiums.

Well you can't retrofit a roof just like that.

I think you need to review your climate information as to any differences between UTas & Boot park average weather conditions in footy season. ;)

I dont think we need an indoor arena. Not yet. Since the DEC has been rebuilt, there is no need for it. that will host the concerts and all that. Be a waste to build one now.

If/once we get an AFL team, there needs to be a long term 15-year plan regarding Blundstone and Hobart. Are we going to keep it? Can we fix its problems? how much would that cost? What are the alternatives? I don't think the political capital is there yet to build a $500mil stadium after spending 50mil(?) on Blundstone arena just 7 years ago.

I love how some people keep on about a roofed stadium, yet their happy to play in Ballarat & Canberra without any though of their winter conditions.

Yes it would be nice but I don't see the value for it. Nor where the huge investment would come from.
As if Tasmanians need a $200m roof for five or six games each year. As if anyone thinking of travelling there from the mainland is not going to go because there is no roof. Massive waste of cash.

I
Well you can't retrofit a roof just like that.

I think you need to review your climate information as to any differences between UTas & Boot park average weather conditions in footy season. ;)
I'm just saying the stadium fund said they will investigate putting a roof on one of the venue's but I also don't see how it's possible on Blundstone or UTAS. I think anyone would tell you in Tasmania that Hobart is definitely a cooler climate so could do with a roofed stadium more so than Launceston and roofed stadiums have been shown to increase Average crowds in other cold climate cities overseas by 30 percent so that could only be a good thing.

A stadium at Macquarie Point would be the best way to maximize tourism spending generated by the team. Right in the heart of Hobart with bars and restaurants along the waterfront.

Unfortunately I think Mac Point is too far ahead in its current planning to make room for the stadium, which is ironic considering how long it took to get a plan for the site ready in the first place.

I
I'm just saying the stadium fund said they will investigate putting a roof on one of the venue's but I also don't see how it's possible on Blundstone or UTAS. I think anyone would tell you in Tasmania that Hobart is definitely a cooler climate so could do with a roofed stadium more so than Launceston and roofed stadiums have been shown to increase Average crowds in other cold climate cities overseas by 30 percent so that could only be a good thing.

People say a lot of things about weather & climate in various places. I prefer to use the climate records of the Bureau of Meteorology. You should too. ;)

Again, a roofed stadium would be lovely, but they cost a fortune.

Love the thread title.
Why should Tasmania be a doormat for some Victorian clubs normal round games, whoever they are.
Get serious are bugger off AFL, that would be my opinion, if were a Tasmanian.
Roofed stadium? Look, you want to draft and retain the best kids from VIC, QLD, NSW and WA. The very best possible facilities, it would sure help!

Eddie Macquire was on footy classified last night saying that a tassie team can't have two home grounds.Im worried that this is something that comes up again and it will become very hard to make that decision due to the North South divide in this state,I'm happy to split games 50/50 myself but I'm sure many won't settle for this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure anyone's happy to play at Ballarat- I don't even like watching on tv!

Not sure anyone's happy to play at Ballarat- I don't even like watching on tv!

I've been to Ballarat, its a great place, & yes a bit cold in winter. Ive also been at footy in Melbourne on a wet, windy & cold day too!

Bellerive gets the wind a fair bit. I don't think they've had much rain when NM have played. Same as UTas, I don't think Hawks have seen much rain in all the years they've played there either. Certainly it gets the wind a bit too.

The stadium Tasmania fund set up a little while ago has proposed a roof be put on one of the two existing venues, Blundstone needs it the most due to the cooler climate but I struggle to see how you could put a roof on the current stadiums.
This could be the real sticking point and maybe a nice out for AFL. They know there's still parochialism in Tassie and they'd be more than happy to sit back and watch Tassie squabble over where a potential team will be based,
Let's hope a Tassie team can override parochialism in this instance.

This could be the real sticking point and maybe a nice out for AFL. They know there's still parochialism in Tassie and they'd be more than happy to sit back and watch Tassie squabble over where a potential team will be based,
Let's hope a Tassie team can override parochialism in this instance.

No. The 'roof' is BS.

It'll be based in Hobart for logistical reasons.

Utas will get the first major upgrade.

Eddie Macquire was on footy classified last night saying that a tassie team can't have two home grounds.Im worried that this is something that comes up again and it will become very hard to make that decision due to the North South divide in this state,I'm happy to split games 50/50 myself but I'm sure many won't settle for this.
Essendon and Carlton play home games at the MCG.

No. The 'roof' is BS.

They can't just play all the big games up here in the north and play the small games down South,do you honestly think the south would be happy about that?

No. The 'roof' is BS.

Sorry mate. I quoted wrong post.
I was referring to having Tassie team only having the one home ground.
I agree with you regarding putting roofs on existing stadiums. Would be a nightmare.

Is the north-south divide really holding the Tasmanian bid up in reality? Can't really see people living in Launceston boycotting a Tassie side based in Hobart tbh. It'd be like someone from Ballarat refusing to support a Melbourne-based club.

Is the north-south divide really holding the Tasmanian bid up in reality? Can't really see people living in Launceston boycotting a Tassie side based in Hobart tbh. It'd be like someone from Ballarat refusing to support a Melbourne-based club.
The North/South divide hasn't existed in ages.
Half the fans who have gone up for the Essendon games this year have been from the south and I have not heard one complaint.
In saying that, Launceston is a s**t hole ;)

The North/South divide hasn't existed in ages.
Half the fans who have gone up for the Essendon games this year have been from the south and I have not heard one complaint.
In saying that, Launceston is a sh*t hole ;)
I live in Scottsdale in the north east and I can tell from what I have seen the North South divide is well and truly alive. The examiner newspaper has had regular articles up here about how the AFL must be based in Launceston and all about why Launceston is better.I can see that Launceston people are going to do everything in their power to base the team up here and that will cause serious fights between both sides of the state and will highly likely cause the AFL to walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back