Brisbane's Gabba not to be rebuilt!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just not sure how spending $1.6b on an athletics venue, which will have a 14k capacity and won't attract any major events after the Olympics, fits in with your "value for money" narrative.

I wasn’t claiming value for money. This is supposedly a frugal olympics. Isn’t much of the money for infrastructure?

Any other state I'd say do a full rebuild, but QLD's construction market is a complete cluster *....... If its 1.5 billion now, it will be 3 billion by the end of it once the CMFEU get their hands on it.

The Government know how screwed it is up there and they know it will go ass up in which they will be holding the can. To be fair, they created the situation.

This isn't the easy decision a lot of people are making it out to be. There is ZERO cost certainty in that market.
Surely all this was known when they bid for the Olympics?

You can't put your hand up to host an event then whine about the cost afterwards.

I wasn’t claiming value for money. This is supposedly a frugal olympics. Isn’t much of the money for infrastructure?
The idea was supposedly to only spend money for infrastructure that would still be used after the Games, but the QSAC plan is about spending money on infrastructure that will be torn down after a few weeks.

I actually heard that and couldn't believe.....Now the opposition leader has just committed to no new stadium

How poor is the quality of the political class in Queensland?

Why the fck is the rest of the country forced to contribute to this cluster fck? We are skewing national resources to Brisbane ahead of an Olympics they clearly don't want and that will be a national embarrassment
I don't think quality of the political class is isolated to Queensland. But that's more a discussion for the Politics board.

but sounds like a dog's breakfast and not well thought out, as the consensus seems to be.

You can't put your hand up to host an event then whine about the cost afterwards.
taking a lead from Victoria, sounds like. :drunk:

I don't think quality of the political class is isolated to Queensland. But that's more a discussion for the Politics board.

but sounds like a dog's breakfast and not well thought out, as the consensus seems to be.

This is egregious though. It is actually certifiable.

taking a lead from Victoria, sounds like. :drunk:

The regional commonwealth games was a poorly advised and thought out decision.

As bad a decision as it was to bid for it, at least they had enough gumption / guile to take the hit and pull out of it.

The QLD government look like they are going to willfully put on an embarrassing Olympics and spend as much money doing so then the alternative of building a stadium that is needed anyway....and they are deciding on this course of action 8 and a half years out

Just certifiable

But I seem to recall Homebush was still getting 60k through the gate for AFL after 15 years, and that's the best example you've got of the stadium being a waste?
Moreso that it wasn't simply hasn't been used often enough on a week-to-week basis since it's been built anywhere near they predicted. Swans were meant to play all their finals there forever, which didn't happen. They were meant to play cricket there, which disappeared pretty quickly. National team and major events fine, but given that Sydney was always going to build a high-capacity stadium, somewhere, at some time, for these kinds of events (it is a major international cosmopolitan city after all), the amount of times ordinary events like the cricket or whatever got bad crowds that made the stadium's size pointless was a disappointment, which is inherently linked to the lack of development of the surrounding area.

I'm not sure the proof that the most major events that would have gotten a big crowd irrespective of location is much proof that the stadium is a success, just that there's always going to be a default minimum number of events that demand a crowd anyway that it would fill up any stadium to capacity. They could have played the Socceroos 2005 game anywhere geographically in Sydney and it still would have been a sellout crowd.

Moreso that it wasn't simply hasn't been used often enough on a week-to-week basis since it's been built anywhere near they predicted. Swans were meant to play all their finals there forever, which didn't happen. They were meant to play cricket there, which disappeared pretty quickly. National team and major events fine, but given that Sydney was always going to build a high-capacity stadium, somewhere, at some time, for these kinds of events (it is a major international cosmopolitan city after all), the amount of times ordinary events like the cricket or whatever got bad crowds that made the stadium's size pointless was a disappointment, which is inherently linked to the lack of development of the surrounding area.

I'm not sure the proof that the most major events that would have gotten a big crowd irrespective of location is much proof that the stadium is a success, just that there's always going to be a default minimum number of events that demand a crowd anyway that it would fill up any stadium to capacity. They could have played the Socceroos 2005 game anywhere geographically in Sydney and it still would have been a sellout crowd.
I mean, it's obvious you're plucking "they predicted" out of nowhere. For example: There was never any realistic expectation of it regularly hosting cricket.
Apr 9, 1999 – 10.00am
...Stadium Australia, built for the Sydney Olympics and for soccer, Australian rules, rugby league and rugby union matches. Cricket might also be played at the stadium.

And, sorry, but what the hell does your misguided thesis about Stadium Australia's usage have to do with building a new venue in Brisbane? A Gabba replacement has guaranteed winter and summer tenants--lucrative ones at that. Complete opposite to what would happen with a 14k QSAC redeveloped for $1.6b.

Yes you can

See victoria

Being compared to the Victorian government is about as offensive as you can possibly get.

Aren't they spending north of $100 billion on a train line despite being broke?
Love how this story has been sensationalised to such a degree people repeat nonsense talking points on it. $100 billion over the next 60 years is $1.6 billion a year, yet you will hear nothing about spending $2.5 billion per year on a useless freeway that will be blocked up in a few months

Love how this story has been sensationalised to such a degree people repeat nonsense talking points on it. $100 billion over the next 60 years is $1.6 billion a year, yet you will hear nothing about spending $2.5 billion per year on a useless freeway that will be blocked up in a few months

Yep get stuck into people for forward planning

You're right, that's basically pocket change. A rounding error in the scheme of things.

I don't know why every city doesn't build 90km rail tunnels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being compared to the Victorian government is about as offensive as you can possibly get.

Aren't they spending north of $100 billion on a train line despite being broke?
Victoria is far from"broke" and the cost of first section of the SSL is $30 billion with a contribution of $2.2 billion from the Federal govt and it will take 10 years to complete!

Just the facts not the MSM esp Murdoch media's anti ALP beat ups!

Victoria is far from"broke" and the cost of first section of the SSL is $30 billion with a contribution of $2.2 billion from the Federal govt and it will take 10 years to complete!

Just the facts not the MSM esp Murdoch media's anti ALP beat ups!
Victoria is ‘broke’. In reality though, it wouldn’t matter how high Victoria’s debt, it would never be ‘broke’. The state can’t afford the SRL, it’s proceeding and us taxpayers will see the impact of being debt laden by way of the upcoming state budget with more taxes likely and big cuts.

But in the end, while people have jobs and a roof over their heads, state debt means zero to them because it’s no more than a number with heaps of zeros on a bit of paper. It is meaningless to them. Until their taxes increase, a new tax is imposed or cuts impact them… As they are now in reality for many Victorian investors etc.

The Victorian government have been allowed to get away with the worst decline in standards of governance, transparency and waste of any government in Australia. The Andrews legacy is appalling and with no capable opposition it was allowed to do as it pleased.

The QLD government is also incompetent and will be thrown out in October, unfortunately Queenslanders have to endure their Olympic excitement whittled away under the disguise of a panicked and hopeless government so preoccupied with the politics of ‘cost of living’ and is desperately trying to save its electoral chances at the expense of anything that stands in its way. In the end, a cheap and nasty, low cost ‘Aldi Olympics’ which pleases nobody and squanders a legacy opportunity is the outcome. Politics and votes before good decision making and visionary leadership. Welcome to politics in 2024. Damn it!

Last edited:
… In the end, a cheap and nasty, low cost ‘Aldi Olympics’ which pleases nobody and squanders a legacy opportunity is the outcome … Welcome to politics in 2024. Damn it!
… but, in good news, I’m hearing major sponsors are being locked in already for the 2032 Budget Olympics, with Vinnies to be announced as the principal sponsor - they have undertaken to provide quality second hand furniture - a sofa - for the QSAC corporate box, while Cash Converters, The $2 Shop and The Reject Shop will be the other major sponsors, along with Bonza as the official airline for the games.

… but, in good news, I’m hearing major sponsors are being locked in already for the 2032 Budget Olympics, with Vinnies to be announced as the principal sponsor - they have undertaken to provide quality second hand furniture - a sofa - for the QSAC corporate box, while Cash Converters, The $2 Shop and The Reject Shop will be the other major sponsors, along with Bonza as the official airline for the games.
😂👏👏

Too late now. That backflip would be too costly politically.

Labor might change their mind with a new leader.
Labor is about to be voted out if QLD. Will Crisafulli instead decide to spend more $$ on a GABBA proper upgrade? Surely he wouldn’t settle on QSAC. There’s another chapter I think.

Labor is about to be voted out if QLD. Will Crisafulli instead decide to spend more $$ on a GABBA proper upgrade? Surely he wouldn’t settle on QSAC. There’s another chapter I think.
Yep.

There is plenty of time to built an alternative main stadium, as well as all the other ones.

September 2025 should have been when the 2032 Olympics were awarded.

But the September 2017 vote to award both Paris and LA the games, as they were both outstanding bids and the IOC said it would be unfair to make them bid again. It let the bidding committees work out who would host 2024 and the other one 2028.

Coates used that 11 year exemption for LA and Covid scaring off bidders, to get the games for Brisbane.

Sydney won the bid in September 1993, they started cconstruction of Stadium Australia in September 1996 after a tender and design process, the 114,000 seater was finished in March 1999, there was a big open day the first weekend of March and the next weekend was the start of the 1999 NRL season and they got about 107,000 to a double header.

So they had time to test out the stadium with 2 NRL seasons, a few rugby union tests and 2 national athletics championships, as well as build all the other stadiums on time.

An October change of government, a 100 day review, a quick final decision and a 3 to 4 months tender and design process would still leave BOCOG way ahead of SOCOG, time wise when it comes to building the main stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back