Brisbane's Gabba not to be rebuilt!

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, just rip the band-aid off , build a new stadium and sell the Gabba. If that is what your review has stated...Perth and Adelaide did it right.

The fact that Miles was already making plans before the review was out is all you need to know. The guy hasnt picked the best option, he has picked the option he deems will cost the least politically. A gutless pollie is the worst pollie.

But, this should have been sorted before the bid.

As for the size, 6-7 years ago, Brisbane was lucky to get 20K to a match when they were poor.

You want a full stadium, with the majority of the seats filled for every match. That costs less and builds a better atmosphere and with added FOMO. 50K is fine. That is a good solid number for both AFL and cricket.

I mean, just rip the band-aid off , build a new stadium and sell the Gabba. If that is what your review has stated...Perth and Adelaide did it right.

The fact that Miles was already making plans before the review was out is all you need to know. The guy hasnt picked the best option, he has picked the option he deems will cost the least politically. A gutless pollie is the worst pollie.

But, this should have been sorted before the bid.

As for the size, 6-7 years ago, Brisbane was lucky to get 20K to a match when they were poor.

You want a full stadium, with the majority of the seats filled for every match. That costs less and builds a better atmosphere and with added FOMO. 50K is fine. That is a good solid number for both AFL and cricket.

A rare comment like!

Build new stadium - gabba sale is surely less than the cost of QASA temporary build + Gabba-lip-stick-on-pig upgrade.....

......except with an actual legacy stadium and a chance of a non-embarrassing games

There are actually a lot of similarities between the Gabba and Subiaco oval. Both out of date venues and space constrained. And both not quite close enough to the city.

I obviously don't have much local knowledge, but Victoria Park looks like a decent spot for a large stadium, at least on a map.

There are actually a lot of similarities between the Gabba and Subiaco oval. Both out of date venues and space constrained. And both not quite close enough to the city.

I obviously don't have much local knowledge, but Victoria Park looks like a decent spot for a large stadium, at least on a map.
To me this is so typical of QLD as they cannot seem to make the right decision about many of their major infrastructure projects.

So Cunnington Cartel a 2nd team in Brisbane in 20ish years has no chance of happening, right? A re-development of the Gabba wouldn't cut the mustard, would it?
Based on what we’ve heard, I’m not sure if a re-developed Gabba will even be operational for another 20 years. If the Lions remain strong on-field then they’ll keep getting decent crowds, although they will struggle to reach their potential if they remain in a stadium that’s too small for them. The Deputy Premier admitted (I think yesterday) that a new oval stadium will be needed after 2032, but that will be a “future government’s problem”. I cannot see a 2nd team even being considered until a new stadium is up and running (whenever that may be).

Based on what we’ve heard, I’m not sure if a re-developed Gabba will even be operational for another 20 years. If the Lions remain strong on-field then they’ll keep getting decent crowds, although they will struggle to reach their potential if they remain in a stadium that’s too small for them. The Deputy Premier admitted (I think yesterday) that a new oval stadium will be needed after 2032, but that will be a “future government’s problem”. I cannot see a 2nd team even being considered until a new stadium is up and running (whenever that may be).

I actually heard that and couldn't believe.....Now the opposition leader has just committed to no new stadium

How poor is the quality of the political class in Queensland?

Why the fck is the rest of the country forced to contribute to this cluster fck? We are skewing national resources to Brisbane ahead of an Olympics they clearly don't want and that will be a national embarrassment

I actually heard that and couldn't believe.....Now the opposition leader has just committed to no new stadium

How poor is the quality of the political class in Queensland?

Why the fck is the rest of the country forced to contribute to this cluster fck? We are skewing national resources to Brisbane ahead of an Olympics they clearly don't want and that will be a national embarrassment
Exactly. 50% of government funding is coming from the Feds. Albanese should stop being a coward and start threatening Miles with cuts in other areas if he doesn’t pull his head in.

Any other state I'd say do a full rebuild, but QLD's construction market is a complete cluster *....... If its 1.5 billion now, it will be 3 billion by the end of it once the CMFEU get their hands on it.

The Government know how screwed it is up there and they know it will go ass up in which they will be holding the can. To be fair, they created the situation.

This isn't the easy decision a lot of people are making it out to be. There is ZERO cost certainty in that market.

I'm happy with a decent upgrade of the Gabba back of house facilities that are apparently the worst of any major stadium in the Nation and anyway it is way better to have heaving full houses with higher admission charges at a smaller stadium than a half full larger Stadium.

Last edited:
The olympics should get used to not having largesse at taxpayers expense.

‘Cut price games?’ Value for money? It’s just now being budgeted as it always should have been

Ask NSW about the legacy stdium australia is. Hint they had to build other stadiums since anyway.

If they really want an upgraded Gabba somewhere, design it for purpose not bastardised by an Olympic games

‘Cut price games?’ Value for money? It’s just now being budgeted as it always should have been

Ask NSW about the legacy stdium australia is. Hint they had to build other stadiums since anyway.

If they really want an upgraded Gabba somewhere, design it for purpose not bastardised by an Olympic games
I think that’s the point though. Hopefully they do a good job at Suncorp but the rest of the money being spent seems to be just kicking a problem down the road or wasted

What are you on about. Stadium Australia has proven to be worth every penny, considering the amount of major sporting events and concerts it has hosted since Sydney 2000.

Compare that to the major events likely to be hosted at the $1.6b QSAC after Brisbane 2032... oh wait, there won't be any, because it'll only be a 14k venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you on about. Stadium Australia has proven to be worth every penny, considering the amount of major sporting events and concerts it has hosted since Sydney 2000.

Compare that to the major events likely to be hosted at the $1.6b QSAC after Brisbane 2032... oh wait, there won't be any, because it'll only be a 14k venue.
It didn't develop the wider Homebush area anywhere near what they had hoped for in at least the decade or two after the Olympics

And just because there was an amount of major sporting events, doesn't mean that there was nearly as many played there as anticipated, especially outside of simply just needing the capacity to get more bodies in (major finals etc). For instance, among many other factors, the Swans were meant to play there for major games because the capacity was larger than the SCG, but fewer and fewer people went that it became a pointless build because after a while it was actually costing crowds for the AFL as capacity crowds at the SCG were turning far fewer Sydney fans that live further away not wanting to travel out there.

Just because it wasn't as awful as many other stadium builds, doesn't mean it was necessarily good.

It didn't develop the wider Homebush area anywhere near what they had hoped for in at least the decade or two after the Olympics

And just because there was an amount of major sporting events, doesn't mean that there was nearly as many played there as anticipated, especially outside of simply just needing the capacity to get more bodies in (major finals etc). For instance, among many other factors, the Swans were meant to play there for major games because the capacity was larger than the SCG, but fewer and fewer people went that it became a pointless build because after a while it was actually costing crowds for the AFL as capacity crowds at the SCG were turning far fewer Sydney fans that live further away not wanting to travel out there.

Just because it wasn't as awful as many other stadium builds, doesn't mean it was necessarily good.
Certainly would've been better off closer to the CBD, which is another reason why the QSAC proposal sucks.

But I seem to recall Homebush was still getting 60k through the gate for AFL after 15 years, and that's the best example you've got of the stadium being a waste?

In addition to serving the needs of rugby league, apparently it's good enough to host the headline matches at a FIFA World Cup, and only 1 of 2 Australian stadiums worthy of Ms Swift's time. That makes it an asset, which means it is necessarily good.

I think that’s the point though. Hopefully they do a good job at Suncorp but the rest of the money being spent seems to be just kicking a problem down the road or wasted
The Gabba is supposed to be well past its used by date in 2032 and would have to demolished and rebuilt in its current position or another new oval stadium with a cap of 50 -60,000 built from scratch at another site.

The Gabba is supposed to be well past its used by date in 2032 and would have to demolished and rebuilt in its current position or another new oval stadium with a cap of 50 -60,000 built from scratch at another site.

Which is why, given you are hosting an Olympic games right when your one oval stadium is reaching end-of-life, it is absolute madness that they are not building a new stadium for the Olympics.

They are saving no money in the longer term and delivering a stinking turd of an Olympics

Which is ideal for athletics going forward

Certainly would've been better off closer to the CBD, which is another reason why the QSAC proposal sucks.

But I seem to recall Homebush was still getting 60k through the gate for AFL after 15 years, and that's the best example you've got of the stadium being a waste?

In addition to serving the needs of rugby league, apparently it's good enough to host the headline matches at a FIFA World Cup, and only 1 of 2 Australian stadiums worthy of Ms Swift's time. That makes it an asset, which means it is necessarily good.

They forced the swans to play there according to them

If they spend half a billion upgrading it then that might not be the case.
I would say $2.6bil to upgrade GABBA and Suncorp and build QSAC seems a little strange when for ~$4bil they could upgrade Suncorp, Build brand new stadium and knockdown the GABBA.
$1.4bil is a huge amount of money though.

Will the AFL say... No stadium, no gather round ;)

That's all the AFL has to play with unfortunately. It is not clear how much political pain, if any, that would cause anyway. In terms of the Lions, the AFL has very little power as there is no alternative stadium and apparently more people who want to deprive the AFL of a benefit up there than want .

The big one is losing test cricket. Apart from that everything else they are missing out on (i.e bigger AFL tourism, Taylor swift type mega concerts) they don't have at the moment to be aware of that fact

If they spend half a billion upgrading it then that might not be the case.
I would say $2.6bil to upgrade GABBA and Suncorp and build QSAC seems a little strange when for ~$4bil they could upgrade Suncorp, Build brand new stadium and knockdown the GABBA.
$1.4bil is a huge amount of money though.

It is very unclear that the gap would be that big (if anything). QSAC has no transport and will likely ultimately need huge expenditure to make it work for an Olympics

On the other hand you are still left with the legacy of an obsolete, dilapidated oval stadium rather than a new one. Also an embarrassing bad olympics

Yep all the worlds media arrives at olympics a week or so early with nothing to post back so every last hiccup gets maginified and discussed at length
All forgotten when the action starts and bu the end - best olympics Eva.

You can set your clock by it.

Which is ideal for athletics going forward
I'm just not sure how spending $1.6b on an athletics venue, which will have a 14k capacity and won't attract any major events after the Olympics, fits in with your "value for money" narrative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back