Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'm happy to substitute the world's and still be confident in my point.

To each their own though Eth.
I'm pretty confident in my point. Better players aren't necessarily more successful. I would argue any player who's played in an AFL flag is more successful than anyone that hasn't.

congratulations Will.
great effort.
I am one though who still has doubts about him.
I understand he plays the high half forward role like Richmonds little blokes do but he is not dangerous enough around goals and lacks speed to create forward pressure. It is folly to say he was anywhere near the third best player for us this year.
the coaches obviously love him and he obviously plays the role that the coaches ask of him.

Kane Lambert plays a very similar role for Richmond and is very similar player attributes wise

I'm pretty confident in my point. Better players aren't necessarily more successful. I would argue any player who's played in an AFL flag is more successful than anyone that hasn't.
Billy James had a more successful career than Haydn Bunton? Brave argument. Team success is measured solely in flags, individual success has multiple factors.

Last edited:
been a fan since day 1, very happy for him.
bloke isn't a superstar but good teams are built on dependable role-players like our boy here, glad he's getting some recognition.

So Aaron Keating is more successful than Tony Lockett? I just can’t get on board with this as a black and white rule.

I love Snelling, and am very appreciative of his role, think he plays his role really well and is an integral part of the side - we certainly missed him when he was out.

But 3rd is taking the piss surely haha.
Ridley, Laverde and Stringer should've been comfortably clear of him.

Snelling should've been in the Hind, Redman area...and probably 3rd out of those 3, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Snelling, and am very appreciative of his role, think he plays his role really well and is an integral part of the side - we certainly missed him when he was out.

But 3rd is taking the piss surely haha.
Ridley, Laverde and Stringer should've been comfortably clear of him.

Snelling should've been in the Hind, Redman area...and probably 3rd out of those 3, too.
What if racking up huge numbers of touches, kicking goals or doing flashy stuff aren't the only things coaches rate players by? It's a pretty out there idea but there might be something to it.

What if racking up huge numbers of touches, kicking goals or doing flashy stuff aren't the only things coaches rate players by? It's a pretty out there idea but there might be something to it.

I might be the definition of someone who is against looking at stats and judging a person. So directing the “racking up huge numbers” comment at the wrong person.
Prior to this year, Stringer had some of the more dominant 8-9 possession games you’d see.

Doesn’t change the fact that in overall benefit to the team and winning, I’d deem it almost impossible to argue that Stringer and Ridley at the very least didn’t contribute more than Snelling.

I’d argue Redman, Hind and Laverde too.

Anyway, these posts aren’t a knock against Snelling; more so how our B&F is calculated.

He does the 1% ers that can be the difference. More to stats than possessions. Some here think he is fringe but I would wager he is one of the first picked every week.

1 ball and 36 players on the field... obviously not enough ball to go around.
Will seems to be the type of player willing to play his role, a lot of off-the-ball stuff.

Richmonds premiership sides are fully of blue collar players who aren't all that great but get in and do the hard yards and play a team role.

On paper I've never thought Richmonds list was 'dynasty' worthy. I wouldn't even say they were premiership worthy.
But results prove what's on paper means little.

Great team player pushing his attributes to the limit, coaches have obviously taken note.

1 ball and 36 players on the field... obviously not enough ball to go around.
Will seems to be the type of player willing to play his role, a lot of off-the-ball stuff.

Richmonds premiership sides are fully of blue collar players who aren't all that great but get in and do the hard yards and play a team role.

On paper I've never thought Richmonds list was 'dynasty' worthy. I wouldn't even say they were premiership worthy.
But results prove what's on paper means little.

Great team player pushing his attributes to the limit, coaches have obviously taken note.
The good old champion team vs team of champions thingy

I might be the definition of someone who is against looking at stats and judging a person. So directing the “racking up huge numbers” comment at the wrong person.
Prior to this year, Stringer had some of the more dominant 8-9 possession games you’d see.

Doesn’t change the fact that in overall benefit to the team and winning, I’d deem it almost impossible to argue that Stringer and Ridley at the very least didn’t contribute more than Snelling.

I’d argue Redman, Hind and Laverde too.

Anyway, these posts aren’t a knock against Snelling; more so how our B&F is calculated.

The calculation is fine. It is not about just rating the best player. Snelling is not a great player. He plays his role so the great players can be great and then he chips in every now and then with his contribution. Without players like Snelling the good players do not get to do what they do. These blokes deserves just as much reward for doing what the coaches ask week in and week out.

The calculation is fine. It is not about just rating the best player. Snelling is not a great player. He plays his role so the great players can be great and then he chips in every now and then with his contribution. Without players like Snelling the good players do not get to do what they do. These blokes deserves just as much reward for doing what the coaches ask week in and week out.
Snelling the Good. Nice!

Still think just calling him a role player is underrating him or underrating the talent needed to perform consistently at AFL level.

I’m confident Snelling would average 25 touches and be thought of as a much better player if he was allowed to play as a full time mid. To be clear I’m not advocating for him to be given that role I just think people underrate how talented he is.

Snelling started the year as 23 year old with only 22 games experience. Performing well enough throughout the year to come 3rd in the B&F is outstanding and I expect him to continue improving next year.

I think his 3rd place is throughly deserved and I absolutely love the guy and how he has become a regular fixture in our side. I think his votes might have been pumped up a little bit to be honest so the coaches can show the rest of the team how much they value players playing to their role, and the rewards they will get for doing so. Creates an environment where ego isn't rewarded and teamwork is supported. Great that truck has done this and just shows the culture that he is trying to build. Yes, Will isn't our 3rd best player but he's probably the most consistent behind Zach and this is a great reward for his immense effort and the stuff he does behind the ball but doesn't get any recognition for. Incredibly important to our team going forward, and I reckon he's picked on the team sheet before players like AMT and Dev, despite them having more talent. Love this man and cant wait to see his career progress, congrats Will

Kane Lambert plays a very similar role for Richmond and is very similar player attributes wise
Nice comparison
i reckon lambert is much more damaging and moves with a bit more speed but I could be wrong on that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back