Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Because we’d like every U18 and his parents that have nominated for the draft to desperately what a phone call from Richmond

and everyone we approach for a trade to say “hell yeah I’m interested in going to Punt rd “

and ripple that is thru every role we have in the club

And who exactly is saying that after 5 years of playing "Mr Nice Guy"? Seems like the only FA we have poached are Lynch (who is on $800k a season) & Tarrant (a33 year old who we had to offer an extra year to convince to come over from the Wooden Spooners).

North is trying to acquire CCJ.

During the process of bringing in which player from another club were we exceedingly kind to the other club?

OK, you could argue Yarran, but clearly that was based on Richmond making an uninformed decision, at his best he was certain worth the pick we gave for him.

Prestia in his prime for the equivalent value of about pick 10?

Lynch in his prime as a Free Agent?

Houli from Essendon for whom we offered less than the Bombers were prepared to accept?

Nankervis for pick 46?

Caddy for the value of a low 20’s pick?

Grigg for Collins?

Releasing players is a completely different dynamic. Most, if not all of the players we released, we couldn’t really afford to retain at the going market wage.

We weren’t especially magnanimous in the Deledio deal, extracting pick 15 for that, admittedly partially as a result of paying some of his salary. Then we weren’t exactly generous in trading that pick 15 to Brisbane for picks 20 & 25. We did unbelievably well out of the Vickery Free Agency, not so well from Conca and Ellis.

For which departing players were we not fairly compensated by the other club? You could say Butler who was maybe worth pick 40 and we got a pick in the 50’s. But the Saints let us take Nyuon and we got fair compensation for Higgins from them. And to be honest, I don’t think Richmond rated Butler very much.

CCJ is the first one going out for a long time where we look like getting properly shafted, and all the club can do is try to make the best of a bad situation. Carlton came at Graham with a big offer and we successfully headed that off, and he wisely chose to to stay.

Over which departures before now should we have dug our heels in, and what would have been gained?

Yeah i am saying why is our club so nice when RELEASING players - so not sure how that means squat when talking about the players we are "bringing in"...

Cant use examples BEFORE our dynasty, as our "Mr Nice Guy" approach has only been since AFTER that period began. Your timeline is all out

Also all the examples you used are over 5 years old. The only players we have " brought in" over the last half a decade is Lynch & Tarrant. One is highly paid & the other is ancient & required a 2 year deal to "win over".The idea all the players in the league are so impressed by how nice we are they are falling over themselves to play for us is total bullshit. Its not happening, nor has it happened - ever. We have forever been a team which has had to pay top dollar to secure "our man" - previously mainly due to our (previous) boards total "Fear of failure", although i feel like on the current boards approach its more to do about such buzz words as "brothers", "woke", "brave" etc. We are not doing it for any other reason than we think as a club "its right". I agree, its very "brave" - but i don't see the connection to it to any of the success we actually have had, or any future success we might have. I think this approach has about 12 months left in it before we see a sudden change in our goodwill, as we realise we are no longer the Goliath we once were. Its easy to be generous when you think you are better than everyone else.

seeing people write stuff like we should give CCJ a cuddle as he leaves is gross. He broke protocols, cost the club $100k & 10 games in suspensions. Less than 12 months later he is walking out the door accepting a well overs contract. He is not even close to being worth $450k x 4 & he would bloody know it. We as a club need to make it abundantly clear thatif you go after our young talent by offering "Godfather Contracts", then you best be prepared to ensure we RECEIVE a package back which reflects the contract which you offered when poaching our players. If a team wants to offer a contract like that, then they best not try to convince us that a "pick 38" is "fair

Last edited:
Yeah i am saying why is our club so nice when RELEASING players - so not sure how that means squat when talking about the players we are "bringing in"...

Cant use examples BEFORE our dynasty, as our "Mr Nice Guy" approach has only been since AFTER that period began. Your timeline is all out

Also all the examples you used are over 5 years old. The only players we have " brought in" over the last half a decade is Lynch & Tarrant. One is highly paid & the other is ancient & required a 2 year deal to "win over".The idea all the players in the league are so impressed by how nice we are they are falling over themselves to play for us is total bullshit. Its not happening, nor has it happened - ever. We have forever been a team which has had to pay top dollar to secure "our man" - previously mainly due to our (previous) boards total "Fear of failure", although i feel like on the current boards approach its more to do about such buzz words as "brothers", "woke", "brave" etc. We are not doing it for any other reason than we think as a club "its right". I agree, its very "brave" - but i don't see the connection to it to any of the success we actually have had, or any future success we might have. I think this approach has about 12 months left in it before we see a sudden change in our goodwill, as we realise we are no longer the Goliath we once were.

Which players have we been kind in releasing and what alternative approach could we have taken?

Higgins

Hold him to his contract unless StKilda gave a 1st rounder like they should have. Specially after we looked after the F** with the Butler trade
What was Butler worth? A VFL player at Punt Road in the end. No competition for his signature so we get whatever. Aarts playing and MRJ on the way they saw the writing on the wall.
Higgins? I was happy to free up salary cap. Their pick 9 as well? Not in my book. That would've been day light robbery.
Having said that CCJ is worth North's 20 with swaps later

North is trying to acquire CCJ.

During the process of bringing in which player from another club were we exceedingly kind to the other club?

OK, you could argue Yarran, but clearly that was based on Richmond making an uninformed decision, at his best he was certain worth the pick we gave for him.

Prestia in his prime for the equivalent value of about pick 10?

Lynch in his prime as a Free Agent?

Houli from Essendon for whom we offered less than the Bombers were prepared to accept?

Nankervis for pick 46?

Caddy for the value of a low 20’s pick?

Grigg for Collins?

Releasing players is a completely different dynamic. Most, if not all of the players we released, we couldn’t really afford to retain at the going market wage.

We weren’t especially magnanimous in the Deledio deal, extracting pick 15 for that, admittedly partially as a result of paying some of his salary. Then we weren’t exactly generous in trading that pick 15 to Brisbane for picks 20 & 25. We did unbelievably well out of the Vickery Free Agency, not so well from Conca and Ellis.

For which departing players were we not fairly compensated by the other club? You could say Butler who was maybe worth pick 40 and we got a pick in the 50’s. But the Saints let us take Nyuon and we got fair compensation for Higgins from them. And to be honest, I don’t think Richmond rated Butler very much.

CCJ is the first one going out for a long time where we look like getting properly shafted, and all the club can do is try to make the best of a bad situation. Carlton came at Graham with a big offer and we successfully headed that off, and he wisely chose to to stay.

Over which departures before now should we have dug our heels in, and what would have been gained?
Peter Wilson to West Coast, broke my heart

Hmm Higgins pick 21 and a 2021 4th rounder to saints and pick 17 and 2021 second to us id say we did just fine.

Its not other clubs problem if our supporters are constantly over valuing players that we have. FFS what has CC-J done to date one 4 goal game as an outlier and little else. Just 9 games in four years and we prefered Mabior Chol to CC-j in his prefered role as a ruckman.

Based on what he has so far produced if given the choice between pick 20 and CCJ atm im taking pick 20.

Hmm Higgins pick 21 and a 2021 4th rounder to saints and pick 17 and 2021 second to us id say we did just fine.

Its not other clubs problem if our supporters are constantly over valuing players that we have. FFS what has CC-J done to date one 4 goal game as an outlier and little else. Just 9 games in four years and we prefered Mabior Chol to CC-j in his prefered role as a ruckman.

Based on what he has so far produced if given the choice between pick 20 and CCJ atm im taking pick 20.
CCJ also had a suspension and a few missed games from injury...

CCJ also had a suspension and a few missed games from injury...
I agree he also had to deal with a lack of footy due to covid but that applied to all kids.
In saying that i just dont think he's done a hell of a lot to date and i do have concerns with aspects of his game. If he was a tiger id hope like hell he would prove me wrong now hes going i hope he fails big time.

No way in hell would i be offering up pick 20 for what is essentially going to be a 5th yr unproven player with no runs on the board.
As a club i thought we had got into the habit of useing good picks on proven players so why do we as a group expect rival clubs to do different.

I’d happily take 20 & Tarrant and give them a later pick back. I just can’t see what others do in CCJ. I believe if the club had wanted to retain him, then he’d have been resigned during the year. I think the club was trying to pump up his value in anticipation of a trade to GCS but got caught out when North intervened. The guy has done nothing that warrants higher compensation. Screams Ty Vickery. Actually early days TV looked better.

Pick 17 has turned into Pick 15 this year so it looks even better now.

Higgins

Hold him to his contract unless StKilda gave a 1st rounder like they should have. Specially after we looked after the F** with the Butler trade

Was Higgins worth more to us than what we netted for him in that deal? The obvious answer to that in the club’s opinion was no, or I am sure he would have been held to his contract.

Effectively we ended up giving Higgins and pick 26 in the more difficult 2020 draft for what will likely be picks 17 and probably around pick 30 or 31 in the deeper 2021 draft. To me that is like getting about pick 17 in a decent draft for Higgins and he wasn’t worth more than that.

We're unlikely to receive pick 20 from North for CJ. I think we'll probably get pick 38 and Tarrant. I hope we also get a later pick or a swap of picks but that's probably all that Tarrant will offer up.

I hope we play hardball and demand more but unfortunately, they hold all the cards with the first pick in the PSD.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was Butler worth? A VFL player at Punt Road in the end. No competition for his signature so we get whatever. Aarts playing and MRJ on the way they saw the writing on the wall.
Higgins? I was happy to free up salary cap. Their pick 9 as well? Not in my book. That would've been day light robbery.
Having said that CCJ is worth North's 20 with swaps later
Yeah VFl but premiership player that rocked but somehow you know who like Caddy wasn't loved any more. I would rather Buttler any day rather that superstar George and Higgins would be an improvement on Aarts.

Back to thread what on earth is happening North wont give up 20 he wants to go feel like this is going to drag right through at the finish hell go for nothing.

Peter Wilson to West Coast, broke my heart
Me also tried to forget but in the end the way we went about it did the right thing. Michaels was supposed to be ours also but never wanted to leave Perth that was hard to swallow.

We're unlikely to receive pick 20 from the Saints for CJ. I think we'll probably get pick 38 and Tarrant. I hope we also get a later pick or a swap of picks but that's probably all that Tarrant will offer up.

I hope we play hardball and demand more but unfortunately, they hold all the cards with the first pick in the PSD.
Considering he's not going there I can see your point

We're unlikely to receive pick 20 from the Saints for CJ. I think we'll probably get pick 38 and Tarrant. I hope we also get a later pick or a swap of picks but that's probably all that Tarrant will offer up.

I suspect that CJ has told North that he only wants to be traded for and not walked into the PSD, thinking he is doing the right thing by the Tigers.

Both came into the side the same week and played alongside each other until CCJ got hurt against Gold Coast. Once CCJ was healthy again and it was a choice between him and Chol, CCJ got the nod.

First game at the Gold Coast and North officials will be dragging him out of the rippers at 3am pee'd as a fart.

They don't call him Zombie for his intellect that's for sure.

Bias take.

Based on his performances this year, age bracket, position and market demand he's worth a pick in the teens.

Based on where we currently rank him in our 22, him being out of contract and the club chasing him having PSD power he's more likely to get us a late 20's pick.

20 (912 points) for CCJ straight swap is a win for us.
We throw in pick 44 (362 points) is about even.
Anything less is a win for them.

Something like this overall would be perfect
1632796926857.png

Bias take.

Based on his performances this year, age bracket, position and market demand he's worth a pick in the teens.

Based on where we currently rank him in our 22, him being out of contract and the club chasing him having PSD power he's more likely to get us a late 20's pick.

20 (912 points) for CCJ straight swap is a win for us.
We throw in pick 44 (362 points) is about even.
Anything less is a win for them.

Something like this overall would be perfect
View attachment 1247998
I think there's some kids about pick 20.van Rooyen et al who would be great replacement for Chol CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back