Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you swap him for any of them?

That's a great question.

Sam Walsh is a very good young player but personally Bailey Smith and the King brothers have the hurt factor that would force serious consideration.

However Tarryn being the most skillful something from nothing type of player on our list - and that he's 6'3" - and can mark out of nowhere... he's close to untradeable right now.

I pray he stays on this trajectory and finally we get a North Melbourne potentially elite talent transition into the consistent week-to-week year-to-year gun they absolutely can be.

The best season of Jnr's career was 31 and 1.8.

Petracca's season was just 29 and 1.2.

25 & 2 (45 goals) would blow the roof off the comp. He'd be finishing top 10 in the Coleman from the midfield.

Leigh Matthews' best ever season was 27.4 and 3.8. Did better than 25 and 2 for 3 seasons.

A player that can sustain 25 and 2 over multiple seasons is in all-time great discussions.

If he is fit and injury free, he could easily put together a 22 disposal, 400 metres gained, .9-1.0 GApg, 1.5gpg, 4 CLpg, 5 I50pg season which is between a 10-20% improvement on 2021.

If he was to do this, with his general appeal and impact, he could make the AA40 next year. He will be the best player at North and that is considering all the talent we have accumulated over the last few years.

That's a great question.

Sam Walsh is a very good young player but personally Bailey Smith and the King brothers have the hurt factor that would force serious consideration.

However Tarryn being the most skillful something from nothing type of player on our list - and that he's 6'3" - and can mark out of nowhere... he's close to untradeable right now.

I pray he stays on this trajectory and finally we get a North Melbourne potentially elite talent transition into the consistent week-to-week year-to-year gun they absolutely can be.
Tarryn has the highest potential ceiling of any of them, tho whether he reaches it is another question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is fit and injury free, he could easily put together a 22 disposal, 400 metres gained, .9-1.0 GApg, 1.5gpg, 4 CLpg, 5 I50pg season which is between a 10-20% improvement on 2021.

If he was to do this, with his general appeal and impact, he could make the AA40 next year. He will be the best player at North and that is considering all the talent we have accumulated over the last few years.

He's going to kick more goals as we get better, it's a simple fact.

Just want to see him consolidate on what he put out in the second half of the season.

Which was around 21 and 1.2.

If he can start getting it 25+ times, we will score more given his ball use, the goals will come as we develop as a side.

He clearly has a hell of a lot of physical development to go also. If he attacks pre-season, AA/Syd genuinely isn't out of the question in 2022.

23-25 and 1.2 is absolutely in AA discussions, he really only needs about a 10-20% increase on his second half of the season which is absolutely doable if he gets fitter and stronger.

By 2023 I would expect us to have 5 or 6 being seriously discussed for the AA40. TT, Jai, LDU, Powell, McKay, Phillips, JHF, Zurhar, Stepho have all got the potential.

I love people that just throws out these stats.

If he's a walking 25 touch and 2 goal a game midfielder, he will win 3 Brownlows, starting with next year.
Do you think he isn't capable of that level of performance?

When he was drafted a bunch of us said this kid could be anything and made vague references to Duck and Matthews. Although comparisons to players of previous eras are fraught because everything is so much more intense these days. Everyone on field is at an elite level of fitness and there is no space in the game like there was in the 20th century.

20 and a goal a game isn't unreasonable at all this year and you'd hope he improves every year till he's 27.

When he was drafted a bunch of us said this kid could be anything and made vague references to Duck and Matthews. Although comparisons to players of previous eras are fraught because everything is so much more intense these days. Everyone on field is at an elite level of fitness and there is no space in the game like there was in the 20th century.

20 and a goal a game isn't unreasonable at all this year and you'd hope he improves every year till he's 27.

Is he capable of it? Maybe.

Is it likely? No.

Simple fact of the matter, nobody has done it in about 45 years and there's been some seriously good midfielders, particularly in the last 25 years.

As I said, he had 20 and 1 for the second half of the season. He's already at that level.

That's a lot different to 25 and 2 though.

I think he likely ends up a 26 disposal, 1.5 goal a game midfielder at his peak. Which is a top 5 midfielder in the league and in the Brownlow shortlist.

Bont averaged 26 and 1.2 goals a game for reference in 2021.

As I keep droning on about, once he gets that bit extra size and strength to clunk pack marks forward, look out.

Is he capable of it? Maybe.

Is it likely? No.

Simple fact of the matter, nobody has done it in about 45 years and there's been some seriously good midfielders, particularly in the last 25 years.

As I said, he had 20 and 1 for the second half of the season. He's already at that level.

That's a lot different to 25 and 2 though.
That Mathews record will stand forever I reckon.
No club scores like that anymore.
80ish goals from the midfield
yes please

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back