Prediction Co Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always wanted us to eventually let Fyfey play out his last 3-4 years with less on and off-field responsibilities. I want a new captain for even 2022, but there's no one I think. If Pearce was more reliable on the field I'd be giving the captaincy to him next year.

Also our young leadership core is Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Ryan, Switkwoski & Darcy - so I hope at the very least by 2023 our leadership group resembles it. But even for 2023, I don't really want to hinder Brayshaw or Serong whatsoever with being the captain(s) of the football club, no matter how little or big the role may actually affect them.

I've always wanted us to eventually let Fyfey play out his last 3-4 years with less on and off-field responsibilities. I want a new captain for even 2022, but there's no one I think. If Pearce was more reliable on the field I'd be giving the captaincy to him next year.

Also our young leadership core is Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Ryan, Switkwoski & Darcy - so I hope at the very least by 2023 our leadership group resembles it. But even for 2023, I don't really want to hinder Brayshaw or Serong whatsoever with being the captain(s) of the football club, no matter how little or big the role may actually affect them.
Fyfey is a champ but the captaincy has never really suited him.
A.B. will be a great proposition.

Fyfey is a champ but the captaincy has never really suited him.
A.B. will be a great proposition.
Let AB get more experience before the captaincy is thrust on him. There are many types of captain but above all they must demand respect and set the standard for the team so Fyfey has always had that but gets criticised by too many as he is a bit different. How has it never suited him when he has been the public face of our club for quite a few years now?

Brayshaw is probably still 12-24 months off i reckon.

He is the definite successor though.

I dont see the point in passing it off to someone else for a 12 month temporary period.

We saw in 2016 it was a bit of a disaster that it was seemed that the coaching staff and club saw fyfe as the replacement to pavlich but the players wanted Mundy.

Don't like the idea of co-Captains. And don't like the iodea of captains stepping down.

But see some reason in a captain stepping down for some real personal reasons or in case there is some serious doubt about him lasting a whole season. Hope the latter is not the case with Fyfe and his current injury...

We saw in 2016 it was a bit of a disaster that it was seemed that the coaching staff and club saw fyfe as the replacement to pavlich but the players wanted Mundy.
Would have preferred Pav being captain in 2016 as well. Didn't look that bad when it was done but in hindsight it was a total desaster. Mundy one year as captain in his only bad year which was a really bad year for the clubs as well. While Pav still looked solid and could have retired acting captain.

Would have preferred Pav being captain in 2016 as well. Didn't look that bad when it was done but in hindsight it was a total desaster. Mundy one year as captain in his only bad year which was a really bad year for the clubs as well. While Pav still looked solid and could have retired acting captain.

I agree it annoys me a bit on Mundy's CV he was captain for one year which happen to be our 2nd worst in history in a 4 win season.

It should have been either Pav for another year, mundy take over for 2-3 or Fyfe just replace Pav.

Mundy's form that year i put down to a injured calf in February and missed the pre-season games and then re-injured it again in round 2 and missed 3 games. Missed another game as well midway through the year with a minor strain. So he never got going and no doubt affected his form.

Let AB get more experience before the captaincy is thrust on him. There are many types of captain but above all they must demand respect and set the standard for the team so Fyfey has always had that but gets criticised by too many as he is a bit different. How has it never suited him when he has been the public face of our club for quite a few years now?

I see Master Dave Mundy growing into the Captaincy role. He’s seemed to have blossomed with the extra responsibility.

The club hasn't really excelled under fyfes captaincy..not saying it is all his fault or even much his fault but the proof is in the pudding. He is a great ambassador for Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make Brayshaw the VC this year, give him the chance to get some exposure to the role if Fyfe misses a game.

Good learning for him longer term with the overwhelming consensus that he would be our next captain. Better longer term than Mundy running out as skipper for a couple of games

Co Captains are when you really dont want to make a hard decision. Stick to the one skipper policy.
Isn't the skipper decided by the players?
No hard decisions to be made then if that is the case.
I believe the hard decision was when Fyfe was made the skipper over Mundy.
Not sure that is even close to happening again.

Co captains just screams ‘can’t make a decision’ to me. Big NO to me.

If anyone replaces Fyfe now it isn’t 22 year old Brayshaw or 20 year old Serong.

For me Alex Pearce would be ready to step up now if not for injuries. One full season and he could step straight into the role for a few years imo.

In reality though I think we get 3-4 more years from Fyfe by which time Brayshaw is probably ready to take over as skipper. We aren’t changing now because Fyfe might miss some games.

I would have thought Big Swaggy would be ahead of Pearce and probably equal with Brayshaw for Captain. Has to be in the leadership group this year. Has improved every off season and onfield he is a beast. Way ahead of Pearce who is barely there and could do with two to three seasons without injury just so we can see improvement. When he did play last year he wasn't as good as he has been imo.

I would have thought Big Swaggy would be ahead of Pearce and probably equal with Brayshaw for Captain. Has to be in the leadership group this year. Has improved every off season and onfield he is a beast. Way ahead of Pearce who is barely there and could do with two to three seasons without injury just so we can see improvement. When he did play last year he wasn't as good as he has been imo.
AP last year gave me some parallels to his year in 2018 in his first comeback. Showed what he was capable of in some games but struggled for consistency, so hopefully with a full preseason behind him he’ll rebound and go back to his 2019 AA like form (and not get injured this time)

AP last year gave me some parallels to his year in 2018 in his first comeback. Showed what he was capable of in some games but struggled for consistency, so hopefully with a full preseason behind him he’ll rebound and go back to his 2019 AA like form (and not get injured this time)
I hope so! We need that 2019 form to then build through a few seasons.

Having said that - I still have Big Darcy up there with Brayshaw on leadership.

Way ahead of Pearce in what way? Yes Pearce needs to get on the field consistently but as a leader I don't think there's many at the club that rank higher than Pearce. Does all the right things at training when he can, says all the right things in the media, well respected by the playing group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back