Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

He has missed a fair few games with broken leg and fingers hasn’t he?
Might’ve definitely been a shot for 400 club barring that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He averages 20.88 games a year - significantly higher than Dustin Fletcher, and comparable to Bartlett. He hasn't missed many games. Not suggesting he'll go to 40 like Fletcher, but I think 400 is still in reach tbh.

He averages 20.88 games a year - significantly higher than Dustin Fletcher, and comparable to Bartlett. He hasn't missed many games. Not suggesting he'll go to 40 like Fletcher, but I think 400 is still in reach tbh.
I’d like to see him playing on the half forward flank next season. He’ll have less possessions but can create more goal scoring opportunities. Hopefully this will extend his career further.

I’d like to see him playing on the half forward flank next season. He’ll have less possessions but can create more goal scoring opportunities. Hopefully this will extend his career further.
I think he will, even just to add some experience up forward. Having him and Elliott guiding our youth up forward would be handy. That being said, I still think he's too good in the midfield to not spend the majority of his time there.

I'll be curious to see where Daicos lines up. I want Nick to take to Pendles like Pendles did to Licca

He has many strengths but not many suited to a forward flank. He isn't a strong mark, a fast lead, or a reliable set-shot.

I don't believe he can do what Thomas did in 2018 as a small forward or Wellingham did in 2010 as an attacking mid that can take spells in the forward line.

I'm not as bullish on Pendles being able to transition to other positions like defence or the wing.

He's a midfielder, it's what he does and he is still capable of doing that well enough for a year or 2.

He has many strengths but not many suited to a forward flank. He isn't a strong mark, a fast lead, or a reliable set-shot.

I don't believe he can do what Thomas did in 2018 as a small forward or Wellingham did in 2010 as an attacking mid that can take spells in the forward line.

I'm not as bullish on Pendles being able to transition to other positions like defence or the wing.

He's a midfielder, it's what he does and he is still capable of doing that well enough for a year or 2.
He can create goals for others with his elite foot skills and decision making.

Elite reading of the play and ball usage would make him a very dangerous high forward IMO.

Pendlebury was equal 12th in the league for goal assists this year. I think that’s a stat he can lead the league in next year. His evasion skills are well suited to creating space and chances for other forwards.

He can create goals for others with his elite foot skills and decision making.

He is by far our best kick inside 50. I think he could work as a really high half forward

Elite reading of the play and ball usage would make him a very dangerous high forward IMO.

He would be great a setting-up plays from further up the ground and in forward line stoppages. Reads the play well and makes good decisions. Nice disposal, very smart player and has the tank to cover ground, but...

I don't see him as a damaging high half forward that could kick goals himself. Isn't a livewire in the manner of Bruest or Elliot or even Ziebel when he was forward.

Not sure that's the best use of him over the next year or 2 but this is just my opinion.

I think his greatest use will be as a midfielder that creates attacking play, at least for next year.

He would be great a setting-up plays from further up the ground and in forward line stoppages. Reads the play well and makes good decisions. Nice disposal, very smart player and has the tank to cover ground, but...

I don't see him as a damaging high half forward that could kick goals himself. Isn't a livewire in the manner of Bruest or Elliot or even Ziebel when he was forward.

Not sure that's the best use of him over the next year or 2 but this is just my opinion.

I think his greatest use will be as a midfielder that creates attacking play, at least for next year.
I agree that he's at his best in the midfield. He's still probably our best mid. I just think that he could be used as a linking player into the forward line effectively if we did it with clever rotations.

McRae has lots of toys to play with. Pendlebury, Adams, De Goey, Josh Daicos, Elliott, and Sidey, as well as the kids in Nick Daicos, Macrae, Reef and more.

I thought he'd be dangerous in the forward fifty but I was a bit alarmed by his lack of pace and inability to apply that run down pressure you need the few times he did play there this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In reference to my above comment, I have been slightly lamenting for the past 2-3 years that Pendles is still in our top 5 players and no one really seems to have taken his midfield spot out of the younger brigade of players.

This has irked me at times, as I'd love to see some real development come through, similar to when guys like Pendles, Daisy and Swan came through in 2006 and 2007 and took the spots of ageing veterans or players they were simply better than like Licuria, Lonie and Holland. In 2009 and 2010 it was Sidebottom who took the spot of loyal servant veterans like O'Bree or Lockyer. I know Pendles is on a different level to these guys, but I have been scratching my head as to why it has been this way.

I now no longer have to scratch my head anymore, it is right in front of everyone's eyes. I know he's still our most professional and most disciplined performer, but this is on another level, he is constantly setting the example to younger players. The ultimate exemplar.

I am now of the view that barring any serious injury, the way he prepares, he could play another 3 years after 2022.

Kudos to Pendles for once again leading the way.

Agree on most positions, except wing. I think that should be his main role from here on out.

I would like to see him swap positions with Jack Crisp.

We badly need some more physicality and hardness around contests.

All Pendles needs to know is to get leaner to improve his running capability.

One would only need an explanation if they didn't know much about Pendlebury as a player.

He's slow and poor in 1 on 1 marking contests... Have you seen him play before?
Jake Lloyd, Caleb Daniel, Daniel Rich (BOTH SLOW AND POOR 1 ON 1), Jayden Short, Christian Salem, Zac William literally all can't defend... should I continue?

Jake Lloyd, Caleb Daniel, Daniel Rich (BOTH SLOW AND POOR 1 ON 1), Jayden Short, Christian Salem, Zac William literally all can't defend... should I continue?

Great point… Pendlebury is a similar player to Caleb Daniels so he could play as a small defender… fmd.

Virtually everyone you mentioned is an all Australian defender, they can defend much better than Pendlebury and all have speed to break lines… wtf are u on about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back