Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention what we gave up to get pick 20. You’d think we’d want a fairly safe bet

Here’s a tip guy’s.

Don’t engage jackess in conversation.
Do you have any thoughts on whether Lohmann could transition into the midfield at all? Also did you have a player available at 20 that you feel we should've taken?

Not to mention what we gave up to get pick 20. You’d think we’d want a fairly safe bet

You mean safe like Johnson with issues causing him to drop or Goater who may well be SPP 2.0. sonsie with his injuries or Bazzo with his serious question marks?

You mean safe like Johnson with issues causing him to drop or Goater who may well be SPP 2.0. sonsie with his injuries or Bazzo with his serious question marks?

I mean safe like Dev Robertson not risky like ESmith (or Starcevich)

Should we not have a more obvious form line for a first round pick in what I believe was a very crucial draft

It seems most on here are happy for us to have taken a decent sized risk at this pick. I’m not. I think there’s a real risk the last 4 years echo what happened around 10 years ago where we haven’t been able to add enough talent through the draft.

But your definition and understanding of risk is ill-informed and largely uneducated, unless you are of the view that you know more than our recruiters and the recruiters of several clubs that would have taken him very soon after pick 20 - which would be odd.

Hitching your wagon to 'form lines' in a year where some of the guys that were picked sub-20 played ~5-10 games is also hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean safe like Dev Robertson not risky like ESmith (or Starcevich)

So another inside mid who can't get a game over a talent we've identified as a high potential talent who could play wing, half forward or even on the ball?

In his phantom draft, which turned out to be incredibly accurate, he mentioned Lohmann as an option for North at pick 22.

Yeah my point was, as I clarified in later exchanges, he didn't feel the mail was strong enough to select Lohman in his Phantoms though.

Anyway I'm all out of puff on this issue. I just wish we had managed to be more agile these last couple of draft/ trade periods. A couple of more astute trades could have seen us 'have our cake and eat it' as another poster put it.

But your definition and understanding of risk is ill-informed and largely uneducated, unless you are of the view that you know more than our recruiters and the recruiters of several clubs that would have taken him very soon after pick 20 - which would be odd.

Hitching your wagon to 'form lines' in a year where some of the guys that were picked sub-20 played ~5-10 games is also hilarious.

The defence seems to be that he can offer more in a different position to what we’ve seen him play. That isn’t offering a lot of guidance on where he’ll end up and has backfired before compared to someone who has at least performed well in their position even if they have a lower ceiling

I don’t care if he suited other clubs needs around those picks (Hawthorn had already drafted a gun mid and need small forwards) I don’t think he suited our draft strategy

So another inside mid who can't get a game over a talent we've identified as a high potential talent who could play wing, half forward or even on the ball?

Not the same type of player but it’s someone who has at least shown they can perform the role we want them to at underage level rather than hoping to tap into their potential.

I’d rather we have gone for a safer bet

Anyone catch poor young Johnson and crew in the background on Fox at the end of the draft? They did a cross to a reporter in WA (I think) and Johnson and crew were fully visible for about a minute. Poor kid looked terrible. Even think I noticed him mouthing WTF a couple of times. Shades of Robertson from a couple years ago for sure.

I certainly don't feel as strongly as jackess however I see the guys you've named as having higher upsides while having similar or less risk than Lohmann. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the recruiters but there is some good talent they've passed on. Not saying I know more than the club but this will be an interesting draft to look back on for us.

Anyone catch poor young Johnson and crew in the background on Fox at the end of the draft? They did a cross to a reporter in WA (I think) and Johnson and crew were fully visible for about a minute. Poor kid looked terrible. Even think I noticed him mouthing WTF a couple of times. Shades of Robertson from a couple years ago for sure.
Yeah I highly doubt he's told clubs he's not moving interstate based on that reaction.

The defence seems to be that he can offer more in a different position to what we’ve seen him play. That isn’t offering a lot of guidance on where he’ll end up and has backfired before compared to someone who has at least performed well in their position even if they have a lower ceiling

I don’t care if he suited other clubs needs around those picks (Hawthorn had already drafted a gun mid and need small forwards) I don’t think he suited our draft strategy

Not the same type of player but it’s someone who has at least shown they can perform the role we want them to at underage level rather than hoping to tap into their potential.

I’d rather we have gone for a safer bet

Who?

Whoever fights Dylan12 should see to it that in the process he does not become a Dylan12. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

- Nietzsche

Remove this Banner Ad

Back