What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Led me to think, mid gig, of the times the support band were better than the headliner. First response was a solo Josh Ritter outshining Martha Wainwright and band at the Northcote Social Club.

It happens.

First one that really springs to mind for me was late 1985 in Adelaide - The Anti Nowhere League were headlining and X were the support.

X were white hot and had the place rocking. ANL turned out to be a bunch of poser dick heads who were just s**t. I'd estimate that half the crowd left before they finished.

Was at the gig that has the live parts of this clip - Picadilly Hotel, Kings Cross. Good times.

Led me to think, mid gig, of the times the support band were better than the headliner. First response was a solo Josh Ritter outshining Martha Wainwright and band at the Northcote Social Club.
For me, Enmore Theatre. You Am I headlining & The Strokes support. You Am I were amazing, but wow. The Strokes blew the roof off. Just as This Is It broke. One of my favourite gigs ever.

Just home from the You Am I & Magic Dirt gig at The Corner. Pretty solid gig. Drank a reasonable amount of beer. Uber surcharges are a crime.
First You Am I gig I’ve been to where there was no encore. To be fair, Magic Dirt were probably best band on the ground.
For me, Enmore Theatre. You Am I headlining & The Strokes support. You Am I were amazing, but wow. The Strokes blew the roof off. Just as This Is It broke. One of my favourite gigs ever.
Another few that spring to mind.

Painters and Dockers supporting Mental as Anything in 1985 at a few Sydney unis (did some load in and load outs for the shows) - Dockers ruled supreme.

Celibate Rifles probably early 1985 playing support to Uncanny X Men at the Sydney Cove Tavern - Rifles just destroyed them

The Bellrays supporting Radio Birdman at The Hifi Bar in 2006. Not often that Birdman gets out rocked but The Bellrays blew them offstage at this show on their first Australian tour. They even had an encore - very rare for a support and gave Highway to Hell a new lease of life - Bon Scott would have been proud.

Music Advent Day 5 I'm in a different time zone

Strong gospel sound especially with the intro.

Now shine a light down onto the earth and shake this gold dust out, out of the dirt, no saints beside me and no prayers to guide me”

Nice one. Been pondering the overlaps and intersections of different Americana forms a bit lately, how much the blues 12-bar and AABA form runs through everything, and how little remarked on Gospel is as an influence in comparison. That track has at least 3 styles covered :thumbsu:.

Advent Day 6-7: Emmet Cohen

The New York Jazz scene is a Youtube Rabbit hole all of its own. Emmet Cohen is a pianist and core of a killer rhythm section (piano trio, I guess) who hosts featured guest artists.

The one that originally went viral (for whatever measurement of "viral" counts on Jazz Youtube) was the Patrick Bartley alto solo on After You've Gone. It's a really great piece. For a modern horn player who mostly works with post-bop anime and video game music, he stayed in character with a '30s style solo impeccably. After You've gone is a pretty simple tune, though the chords get a bit involved in a couple of places, and it's easy to keep the melody in your head as you listen. Through multiple choruses he iterates and develops his improvisational ideas without ever losing touch with the song he's soloing over. It's just joyful.

Was talking to my clarinet teacher about it and he's like "yeah this kind of shits me. Something goes viral and suddenly everyone loves trad for five minutes and all these 'experts' come out of the woodwork and then forget about it a week later". Bear in mind my teacher isn't some crusty old dixieland dude, he's a floppy-haired twentysomething who just happens to love trad and can really wail.

Cohen himself is a kickarse pianist, both as a super-sympathetic comper and a soloist in his own right. Some other guest of his I've loved include Evan Christopher, Regina Carter, Samara Joy, and Chad LB

Hey blackshadow what floated your boat musically this year?
To be honest I haven't explored much new music at all this year - probably my highlight was "discovering" an album from 2002 Basement Apes by Gluecifer (great scandi rock/punk sitting somewhere between The Hellacopters and Turbonegro).

But a release from this year from the Blokes You Can Trust should be on everybody's radar.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The song that was playing on the radio as my son was born (US3 version). It has some special memories.

The next six months though (he didn't sleep for more than 30 minutes in a spell until at least 6 months old)...

"noddy holder" is my go to slang term for a stubby holder and was likely the influence of Slashes top
hat.

also Slades used to be the local soft drink delivery service alongside joes and loys.

Watched some recent King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard live stuff on YouTube last night. They've really developed into world class masters of psychedelic space rock.

I saw them quite a bit in their early days and so impressed to see how they've developed.

Watched some recent King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard live stuff on YouTube last night. They've really developed into world class masters of psychedelic space rock.

I saw them quite a bit in their early days and so impressed to see how they've developed.
They are amazing, astounding & so goddam prolific!!
Not to mention varied.

They are amazing, astounding & so goddam prolific!!
Not to mention varied.
And though they're breaking through big time they are still just the same - no "star" polish at all to looks and image - but when they play they just hit it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back