Current Six children killed, two others still in critical condition after school party incident in Devonport

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a service that has had cutbacks inflicted upon it. I for one do not trust the BOM for any detailed forecasting anymore and I work in an industry that is reliant on the information they produce every time I go to work. I am in no way blaming the duty forecaster here. Not their fault. They are working within the limitations imposed by the budget that has been imposed upon them.

I'd trust them to read a set of wind charts. I think that's reasonable.

She was just saying that there was no gusts of significant speed on their record (though it is at the airport, not right at the site). So there's nothing really to explain it other than some freak occurrence.

I'd trust them to read a set of wind charts. I think that's reasonable.

She was just saying that there was no gusts of significant speed on their record (though it is at the airport, not right at the site). So there's nothing really to explain it other than some freak occurrence.
the weather station is right next to the coast, a good 5K's out from Devonport proper.(Hillcrest would be another 3 from there) My mum always said that our weather was a couple degrees hotter than what is reported due to that.

A freak, localised wind is not out of the question.

This one stings. My heart goes out to the NW Coast community. Just terrible.

Yeah I dunno, why would you listen to a BOM forecaster, what would they know.
The younger Bom forecasters just dont have decades of experience like some of us do .
This is the point I'm getting at.
I can see from the faces they havent had sun and wind on the skin for long. They're just rookies!

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

regardless of wind conditions, these things should not be secured by pickets but rather secured to immoveable objects like the truck they arrive in and two vehicles or trees

the result of this event will probably mean no insurance and thus the industry closed down

regardless of wind conditions, these things should not be secured by pickets but rather secured to immoveable objects like the truck they arrive in and two vehicles or trees

the result of this event will probably mean no insurance and thus the industry closed down
Absolutely makes you wonder if any of these jumping castles that are erected outside on grass were ever that safe. just keep them indoors, the school would have had a hall?

No mention about how it was secured. Only that it will be investigated.

I'm punting pickets which were either too shallow or wiggled loose or both

Let's see

I just hate hearing stories like this. where people go about there ordinary day, just having some seemingly safe fun, only to see it go so wrong for the kids, the community and the business owner. Unfortunately if the laws in Tassie are the same as WA, the operator will probably serve time regardless of the events as it will be hard to prove he wasn't negligent given the outcome.

Absolutely makes you wonder if any of these jumping castles that are erected outside on grass were ever that safe. just keep them indoors, the school would have had a hall?

coming from a mining industry backgrounds a risk matrix takes 2 to 3 months to develop with the entire teams input and safety mitigation strategies flowing into procedures. This is presented to the board for further assessment and "acceptance" or "rejection" of activities where risk remains high.

You'd suggest given the number of "explosions" and "wind take off" of these blow up toys, that the products don't have built in solutions. ie if the wind exceeds 25km a wind alert immediately starts to deflate the equipment in a controlled manner after a 60 second alarm. Similar automated controls on the anchor points and anti explosion protection.

It would increase costs but at the end of the day, you kill kids if things go wrong........and they do go wrong.

In a somewhat sheltered area with proper anchoring (whether that's to the ground, a building/large vehicle or both) then they can be safe. In an open area prone to wind (such as a large school oval) without sufficient anchoring, there can be disaster.

Unfortunately it could one of those situations where warnings / close calls are not heeded and regulations* aren't sufficient or enforced. There's been incidents overseas so this should have been known however.

* I'm always reminded in these situations of those politicians / industry bodies you see whining about "too much red tape!!" for business etc. Just beware whenever you hear things like that. 'Red tape' usually means regulations that cost them time and money.

It’s easy to be reactionary to these incidents, and obviously we should wait before casting any judgement, but it seems likely someone has cut corners.

It’s not exactly like serious incidents involving jumping castles are unknown. I’m usually wary of killing kids’ fun but you have to wonder whether they are worth it.

That decent slope played its part, only has to lift of the ground slightly and move 15 metres and the whole thing is no longer slightly of the ground
My understanding is that it started at the bottom of the slope, which is where the school oval is. What you say makes sense though and was my first thought, as it easily explains the height of 10 metres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a somewhat sheltered area with proper anchoring (whether that's to the ground, a building/large vehicle or both) then they can be safe. In an open area prone to wind (such as a large school oval) without sufficient anchoring, there can be disaster.

Unfortunately it could one of those situations where warnings / close calls are not heeded and regulations* aren't sufficient or enforced. There's been incidents overseas so this should have been known however.

* I'm always reminded in these situations of those politicians / industry bodies you see whining about "too much red tape!!" for business etc. Just beware whenever you hear things like that. 'Red tape' usually means regulations that cost them time and money.

yeah.my two very young children were on one over the weekend last. In an oval, at a church Christmas thing. I can’t remember if it was anchored down or not, probably ropes and stakes. But there didn’t seem to be anyone supervising. I hope it wasn’t a privately owned one. Apparently they are actually classed as toys and not subject to the same regulations as the hire companies, but theres still the same recommendations as per Australian safety standards etc.
I reckon this might be a structural problem across the inflatable industry. Or it may be a sort of situation where a number of things had to go wrong and it really was just a ‘freak accident’ although I dislike the term for this as there have already been too many incidents in the past.

Anyone had a look at the layout of the place on maps ?
How do I find it on maps where is it, devonport primary school or something else?

How do I find it on maps where is it, devonport primary school or something else?

Hillcrest primary school. The oval doesn’t looked sloped to me, at all

hillcrest primary school (davenport)

it looks like the equipment was set up on the footy oval which has been built up to be flat. Then blown off and down the slope.

More unfortunate news as a 6th child has died, see below.

Tragic. sorry to hear this news.

"Nine children fell from a height of about 10 metres, due to what eyewitnesses have told police was a gust of wind."

hillcrest primary school (davenport)

it looks like the equipment was set up on the footy oval which has been built up to be flat. Then blown off and down the slope.
My guess is that the wind direction change caught them out. Perhaps the castle was set up with the wind in morn being south, then the wind changed to nor-east to north. (180° change almost).
A strong gust came from the direction that had just started. Perhaps castle not tethered for the north nor east change wind. Maybe negligent in the preparation.
I dont know... but wind changes catch people out regularly. Winds can be brutal and they can be stronger than forecast.
I wonder if the bouncy castle operators, school staff etc checked weather and factored it into the plan ?
So many questions....
May take years to hear their side of the story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back