Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Thsnkyou, Freshwater. I feel so much better about our country, now. I don't know about you, but my ancestors came here to not only avoid death by starvation but to found a country that is the best that humans can possibly be. Mission accomplished, great grandparents.

Does this help ScoMo?
I can’t help feeling Novak isn’t a well liked bloke, even amongst his tennis mates, so he is getting the frustrations of many about everything to do with covid.
Yes I believe it helps Scott Morrison. Watch NewsCorp make it a positive ‘border security’ story tomorrow. The majority who read Murdoch’s dribble take it as gospel.

Personally I don’t want him here. However, it should have been spelt out to him loudly before he made the journey that a visa would not be granted.

Last edited:

Yes I believe it helps Scott Morrison. Watch NewsCorp make it a positive ‘border security’ story tomorrow. The majority who read Murdoch’s dribble take it as gospel.

Personally I don’t want him here. However, it should have been spelt our to him loudly before he made the journey that a visa would not be granted.
This is a time that Australia stood up to the World and gave the Ted upyours salute. I want that on my Tombstone

Does this help ScoMo?
I can’t help feeling Novak isn’t a well liked bloke, even amongst his tennis mates, so he is getting the frustrations of many about everything to do with covid.
Given polls supporting the cancellation of Novaks deportation were running at ≈ 80%. One would have to say yes. Decisions as momentous as will always be filtered through base political interest.

I for one do not like the “God” powers that the Minister for Immigration has.

Can’t be challenged on fairness or natural justice grounds. Seems out of kilter with most of our system of government.

Can’t be challenged on fairness or natural justice grounds. Seems out of kilter with most of our system of government.
God ? The Commonwealth went through 2, expensive court cases to have an Australian Court, fairest in the World, vindicate its government's concern for its constituents. A time for celebration. Are we China, even America ? .

Welcome to the closed circuit that is Australia's immigration act.

I pointed out yesterday that... Under the migration act the minister doesn't need to prove that something will happen, just that it might.

Disgraceful. That's not how Australian Courts operate.

As a general principle. I also find the powers that the minister can unilaterally wield to be distasteful and blight on this country. However, this high profile case isnt the first and wont be the last time that these incredibly vague powers are wielded.

Unless Novak was up for challenging the act as a whole. One can only presume that the courts too are bound by the immigration act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawke for PM! ;)

We've had one Hawke PM already, Chicago. To get another from that clan is unlikely but the lad did well. Look after yourself. The Bostonian Mitchells are due to land in Melbourne soon to greet the latest little Mitchell. Today's a good day to celebrate, not quite a Premiership but up there.

I was genuinely curious to hear your take on the matter, and for asking you treated me with sarcastic derision. You clearly violated Freshwater's code or conduct, which you claim to hold in high regard.

If I treated you with sarcasm, Scrag, sincerest apologies. Please indicate the post and I'll either delete it or post an apology. You and I may disagree but that's no excuse for sarcasm.

Eat a baked turd sandwich Djokovic.
I understand, indeed share, your sentiment, Leon. Let's not jdovovicpoint to the changing rooms, be gracious in victory.
#14,296

No need to delete the post. I forgive you.
That's the sort of bloke you are, Scragg. Good man. A great day for our country, though, I might even have a drink to celebrate.

Welcome to the closed circuit that is Australia's immigration act.

I pointed out yesterday that... Under the migration act the minister doesn't need to prove that something will happen, just that it might.

As a general principle. I also find the powers that the minister can unilaterally wield to be distasteful and blight on this country. However, this high profile case isnt the first and wont be the last time that these incredibly vague powers are wielded.

Unless Novak was up for challenging the act as a whole. One can only presume that the courts too are bound by the immigration act.
You didn't watch it, did you, so much easier to sit behind a computer after the event and whinge. It's cost the taxpayer squillions. Thank your ancestors for giving you the opportunity to be a dickhead without penalty.

You didn't watch it, did you, so much easier to sit behind a computer after the event and whinge. It's cost the taxpayer squillions. Thank your ancestors for giving you the opportunity to be a dickhead without penalty.
You've been waiting a while to call me a dickhead haven't you?

C'mon, Mr. Mitchell. Surely Norm's ancestors weren't even around when the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) was written. If they were able to have an opinion on it, then who is to say they wouldn't agree that it grants too much power to the minister? Opinions will differ over in-force legislation. Nothing wrong with that.

If you'd watched proceedings after 1.00 pm, nothing "God" like. Discretions are fettered. Wood and Djokovic ran their case as a lower jurisdiction facts based case, the way that they did in the Circuit Court (formerly known as the Federal Magistrates Court). When heard by what is really a Court of Appeal, where issues of law apply rather than procedural niceties, a far different result. A good day for the rule of law.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back