Where will Fremantle and West Coast play most of their home games this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

I arrived in Perth from London in August last year and Perth is actually in a pretty bad place compared to when I lived here 20 years ago. The city centre is full of unemployed people with substance abuse issues and many shops are boarded up. None of the new retail developments are going well as people also work from home.

Having grown up in Perth and then going to London allows you to have an outside view whilst understanding the state. You need to understand that West Australians are very susceptible to isolationist thinking.

They feel they are a cash cow for the east and often victim to federal decisions made from an east coast viewpoint. To be fair they often are- examples are GST allocation in politics and Victorian centric AFL (MCG GF deal and fixtures) in sport.

However, this also makes them susceptible to a “nationalist” leader who uses this as their main approach- McGowan.

McGowan is the most powerful WA premier ever due to the Liberal Party collapse following factional infighting and a terrible Liberal Premier in Colin Barnett.

McGowan realises that if he authorises reopening that the public health system will fail due to under investment from his government.

Most people can see he has had 2 years grace no other place has had and the opportunity to reinforce the health system. He has built hospitals but the irony is that his closed border has made him unable to recruit new health care staff to run them.

Many of Perth’s overseas health care workers have gone home as they can’t see their family overseas. I heard one UK health worker say “I’m not looking after your parents if I can’t see mine!”

Older health care workers are retiring as they buckle under the stress.

McGowan knows the best way to open is if the federal government force him and he can blame any health system failures on the federal government.

In addition, WA recognised post the last resource boom that it had to wean itself off being solely reliant on resources. McGowan’s isolationist policies are ruining any chance of diversification as tourism is destroyed, skills shortages can’t be filled and businesses can’t trade smoothly with the rest of Australia.

Border closures were a good idea at one point but it is time to open now. McGowan needs to de-prioritise his own political needs to maintain border closures and do what is best for WA and Australia and open.

I say this as someone who was locked down for 8 months in London in 2020. I wish the UK had closed borders better pre vaccines. But post vaccines the UK has handled things better and all restrictions are meant to be gone in March!

There are many individuals with family overseas in Perth and they deserve better. There are many businesses that need skilled labour to rebuild and they deserve better.

Post the pandemic I hope West Australians become less isolationist and that the east (NSW especially) understands that WA isn’t a cash cow for their own poor governments.

I also hope the AFL become a truly national league for all Australians with the structural inequalities removed. This could be via less teams and home and away fixtures or more interstate teams meaning each team plays once. Victorian teams travel more and the GF is rotated.

We need to work to make sure everyone gets an equitable chance in politics, business and sport.

That means WA is less isolationist and the east is less entitled (eg NSW in politics and Victoria in sport).

Interesting post at many levels. Just a couple of quick points:

* The 'success' of the UK CV model is not apparent in climbing deaths.

* Prior to the resources boom WA was a mendicant at the Grants Commission table and Premiers' Conferences. Vic and NSW have always subsidised other States/Territories.

I arrived in Perth from London in August last year and Perth is actually in a pretty bad place compared to when I lived here 20 years ago. The city centre is full of unemployed people with substance abuse issues and many shops are boarded up. None of the new retail developments are going well as people also work from home.

Having grown up in Perth and then going to London allows you to have an outside view whilst understanding the state. You need to understand that West Australians are very susceptible to isolationist thinking.

They feel they are a cash cow for the east and often victim to federal decisions made from an east coast viewpoint. To be fair they often are- examples are GST allocation in politics and Victorian centric AFL (MCG GF deal and fixtures) in sport.

However, this also makes them susceptible to a “nationalist” leader who uses this as their main approach- McGowan.

McGowan is the most powerful WA premier ever due to the Liberal Party collapse following factional infighting and a terrible Liberal Premier in Colin Barnett.

McGowan realises that if he authorises reopening that the public health system will fail due to under investment from his government.

Most people can see he has had 2 years grace no other place has had and the opportunity to reinforce the health system. He has built hospitals but the irony is that his closed border has made him unable to recruit new health care staff to run them.

Many of Perth’s overseas health care workers have gone home as they can’t see their family overseas. I heard one UK health worker say “I’m not looking after your parents if I can’t see mine!”

McGowan knows the best way to open is if the federal government force him and he can blame any health system failures on the federal government.

In addition, WA recognised post the last resource boom that it had to wean itself off being solely reliant on resources. McGowan’s isolationist policies are ruining any chance of diversification as tourism is destroyed, skills shortages can’t be filled and businesses can’t trade smoothly with the rest of Australia.

Border closures were a good idea at one point but it is time to open now. McGowan needs to de-prioritise his own political needs to maintain border closures and do what is best for WA and Australia and open.

I say this as someone who was locked down for 8 months in London in 2020. I wish the UK had closed borders better pre vaccines. But post vaccines the UK has handled things better and all restrictions are meant to be gone in March!

There are many individuals with family overseas in Perth and they deserve better. There are many businesses that need skilled labour to rebuild and they deserve better.

Post the pandemic I hope West Australians become less isolationist and that the east (NSW especially) understands that WA isn’t a cash cow for their own poor governments.

I also hope the AFL become a truly national league for all Australians with the structural inequalities removed. This could be via less teams and home and away fixtures or more interstate teams meaning each team plays once. Victorian teams travel more and the GF is rotated.

We need to work to make sure everyone gets an equitable chance in politics, business and sport.

That means WA is less isolationist and the east is less entitled (eg NSW in politics and Victoria in sport).
McGowan has almost made that impossible now with his declaration of "indefinitely". The West has just shut itself off fhrom the rest of the country, he can go it alone and so should the AFL..at least for this coming season, kick out the two Perth teams for 2022 or "indefinitely"!

WA is not doing much different than the east coast did in that we (I'm in Sydney) suffered severe and extended lockdowns, travel restrictions and masks until we reached a 90 something % double jabbed vax rate. Then Perrotet opened the floodgates and now the health system is groaning under the weight. However it appears as though the numbers of people requiring hospitalisation in NSW will begin to fall after the initial avalanche. WA is at 80 sometihng percent vaxxed, when they hit a similar number WA will throw open and experience the same and footy travel will be back to normal. Probably a good idea to stagger the impact on the various state health infrastructures. The WA health system is an absolute disaster of a system at the best of times and hopefully they'll learn form what happened over east.

Check out this from Aunty: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01...el-andrews-health-system-code-brown/100772446

Decisions were made pre Xmas in Sydney & Melbourne, the die is cast.

WA has had the chance to observe those results & made its own decision.

WA is well past code brown and there is practically no COVID there.

Put up the stories of 7 year old girls dying in the emergency departments of Melbourne and Sydney hospitals because of staffing / ramping issues?

WA is not doing much different than the east coast did in that we (I'm in Sydney) suffered severe and extended lockdowns, travel restrictions and masks until we reached a 90 something % double jabbed vax rate. Then Perrotet opened the floodgates and now the health system is groaning under the weight. However it appears as though the numbers of people requiring hospitalisation in NSW will begin to fall after the initial avalanche. WA is at 80 sometihng percent vaxxed, when they hit a similar number WA will throw open and experience the same and footy travel will be back to normal. Probably a good idea to stagger the impact on the various state health infrastructures. The WA health system is an absolute disaster of a system at the best of times and hopefully they'll learn form what happened over east.

WA are currently at 87% fully vaxxed for the 12+ year olds. He will change it now, to 90% with booster, he might then slip it down to the 5 to 11 year olds now that they can be vaxxed. He won't be just throwing borders open like the rest, there's still a big majority of support for him doing this. Until that changes he won't be.

Clubs went into hibernation during the World Wars of the 20th Century, it might be time for WCE and Freo to do the same this year.

Interesting post at many levels. Just a couple of quick points:

* The 'success' of the UK CV model is not apparent in climbing deaths.

* Prior to the resources boom WA was a mendicant at the Grants Commission table and Premiers' Conferences. Vic and NSW have always subsidised other States/Territories.

I knew someone would bring the grants up! I think WA has well and truly paid back now. I find the latest GST grab from NSW disappointing as I thought we had sorted WA getting a fair share.

I have always perceived NSW as badly run at state government level since the 1980’s with poor infrastructure. But that’s just me.

The UK were diabolical pre vaccines and made a bad decision not to close borders to India. That said, the UK will always suffer more as it is a mercantile trading nation with its capital city the key world city along with New York. International finance and business services are run out of London. The UK is also more libertarian and won’t restrict its citizens as Australia does.

The UK was too open and WA is too closed.

I knew someone would bring the grants up! I think WA has well and truly paid back now. I find the latest GST grab from NSW disappointing as I thought we had sorted WA getting a fair share.

I have always perceived NSW as badly run at state government level since the 1980’s with poor infrastructure. But that’s just me.

The UK were diabolical pre vaccines and made a bad decision not to close borders to India. That said, the UK will always suffer more as it is a mercantile trading nation with its capital city the key world city along with New York. International finance and business services are run out of London. The UK is also more libertarian and won’t restrict its citizens as Australia does.

The UK was too open and WA is too closed.

Interesting debate. It is not just deaths in countries like England and the US but avoidable disabilities.

Perth is the most isolated significant city in the world. Geographically and culturally it was well placed to 'ride it out'

Check out this from Aunty: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01...el-andrews-health-system-code-brown/100772446

Decisions were made pre Xmas in Sydney & Melbourne, the die is cast.

WA has had the chance to observe those results & made its own decision.
ICU cases remain very low.

Every single pub and restaurant was packed across Melbourne last night.

I do agree one big issue is that the health workers need a break.

I think the ongoing staffing load is a genuine concern.

Wishful thinking as the clown states categorically the West will stay closed "indefinitely" ..kick both teams out for a year... Now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Covid Cases in Victo,ria: 735,000
Covid Cases in WA: 1,348

I love clowns.
You can love them all by your lonesome...ridiculous comparison. I hope WA never rejoins the rest of us. McClown is insane! A failure of government, a failure of vaccination, a failure in their medical system, and a complete inability to handle what has to come. He can't hide under a rock forever, this problem is worldwide and while the West is in the middle of nowhere... perhaps they should stay there? Remove their football teams from the AFL competition for season 2022 now!.

Last edited:
You can love them all by your lonesome...ridiculous comparison. I hope WA never rejoins the rest of us. McClown is insane!

Cmon mate ? You serious ? The Bloke is trying to protect us. I for one do not want to lose my Mum or Dad, they are the ones that will go down hard with this s**t virus. Sure the general population will probably just shrug it off, no probs. But jeez man....

Cmon mate ? You serious ? The Bloke is trying to protect us. I for one do not want to lose my Mum or Dad, they are the ones that will go down hard with this sh*t virus. Sure the general population will probably just shrug it off, no probs. But jeez man....
Fall for that one if you want, he is completely insane and at odds with the rest of the country.. Kick the WA teams out for 2022.

Fall for that one if you want, he is completely insane and at odds with the rest of the country.. Kick the WA teams out for 2022.

Peace man. Hopefully it will pass soon. Take care of yourself and your family.

Love to see us hub up in cairns again like we did at the end of 2020. We apparently made a real effort to engage the local community and picked up a few local fans because of it. Plus it actually gives us a bit if home ground advantage if we train and play our home games at Cazalys. No idea where WCE want to be based but they’ll complain about it wherever they end up.

Love to see us hub up in cairns again like we did at the end of 2020. We apparently made a real effort to engage the local community and picked up a few local fans because of it. Plus it actually gives us a bit if home ground advantage if we train and play our home games at Cazalys. No idea where WCE want to be based but they’ll complain about it wherever they end up.
Wherever we hub, i hope the opposition have to get on a plane to get there.

Last edited:

Insanity knows no bounds.

The virus was contained in this country barring 3 states before the borders were open. Now it’s everywhere bar the one state that has continued to keep its borders closed. I’m not from WA but I can understand his logic. The rest of the states should have remained shut as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back