AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

yeah we lost 2 and Cats lost 1, and both kept their 1st Rd, what's the problem ??
Teams lost 4 players like north and kept their first

Teams who lost 1 or 2 should have lost their first pick going by the statement the other day that you needed to lose certain amount of players to keep your first pick

Teams lost 4 players like north and kept their first

Teams who lost 1 or 2 should have lost their first pick going by the statement the other day that you needed to lose certain amount of players to keep your first pick

well it's points, not how many players you lose

Tigers lost 2 star players, Cats lost 1 star player, both sides = 28 points
North lost 1 good player and the rest were nothing types, hence you didn't keep your 1st Rd, = less than 28 points
the AFL doesn't make mistakes don't you know

well it's points, not how many players you lose

Tigers lost 2 star players, Cats lost 1 star player, both sides = 28 points
North lost 1 good player and the rest were nothing types, hence you didn't keep your 1st Rd, = less than 28 points
the AFL doesn't make mistakes don't you know
2 star players lol

You lost 2 spuds

In the judgment of anybody with half a clue, yes.

Could've kept Gee and still have been the hardest hit.
I’m talking to expansion as they will get well and truly compensated for the others (1st rounder for Stevens already)

Prespakis, as good an attacking player as she is, doesn’t defend and is terrible for culture.

I’m tipping Essendon to be a basket case despite spending a fortune on their list.

I’m talking to expansion as they will get well and truly compensated for the others (1st rounder for Stevens already)

Prespakis, as good an attacking player as she is, doesn’t defend and is terrible for culture.

I’m tipping Essendon to be a basket case despite spending a fortune on their list.
I'm talking expansion signings too.

If given the choice right now, every list manager would take Prespakis over Phillips+Foley+Mules, or Prespakis over Houghton+Cain, and so on.

If given the choice right now, every list manager would take Prespakis over Phillips+Foley+Mules, or Prespakis over Houghton+Cain, and so on.

Look, I agree, but the AFL didn't say they were going to judge expansion signings on their merit. They said they would look at payment tiers, age, individual awards, and games played.

That was clearly not the case. And I'm in favour of it not being the case! I said it was a stupid system when they announced it, and would most likely not be followed. But why announce it at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I agree, but the AFL didn't say they were going to judge expansion signings on their merit. They said they would look at payment tiers, age, individual awards, and games played.

That was clearly not the case. And I'm in favour of it not being the case! I said it was a stupid system when they announced it, and would most likely not be followed. But why announce it at all?
The AFL didn't announce anything publicly. We got an interpretation from a reporter last week, not an official statement from the league.

Perhaps the interpretation was wildly inaccurate/incomplete at the time, or perhaps the report was entirely faithful but the AFL made changes afterwards.

The AFL didn't announce anything publicly. We got an interpretation from a reporter last week, not an official statement from the league.

Perhaps the interpretation was wildly inaccurate/incomplete at the time, or perhaps the report was entirely faithful but the AFL made changes afterwards.

Fair enough I guess, but womens.afl is the closest thing there is to an offical AFLW website. If the report was inaccurate, surely they would have said something. And if it was accurate but they then changed their minds and altered things, surely they would say something then as well?

That seems to be a Victorian view perhaps. We all overvalue our players and undersell the others.

I think age was probably a big factor. Losing two young players with 7+ seasons ahead of them is going to hurt Carlton more long term than losing Philips and Foley who have one or two.

On the surface yes, but a lot of list managers do due diligence on character and team influence and wouldn’t go anywhere near Prespakis.

That seems to be a Victorian view perhaps. We all overvalue our players and undersell the others.
Only some people make it about where a player is from. If Hatchard had left Adelaide, my view would be the Crows were the hardest hit.

On the surface yes, but a lot of list managers do due diligence on character and team influence and wouldn’t go anywhere near Prespakis.
Before Fremantle's bid for Jamie Stanton, there was Fremantle's bid for Madison Prespakis. Nothing wrong with either player's character.

Only some people make it about where a player is from. If Hatchard had left Adelaide, my view would be the Crows were the hardest hit.

Before Fremantle's bid for Jamie Stanton, there was Fremantle's bid for Madison Prespakis. Nothing wrong with either player's character.
The great things about forums. You can say things that are totally false with no repercussions.

The great things about forums. You can say things that are totally false with no repercussions.
You would like to think so. But bullshit character assasinations can be refuted with facts, as I've just demonstrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back