AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you

Remove this Banner Ad

has nothing to do with the afl. you think the afl are demanding spuds like darcy get the main commentary gig, or for the cameramen to follow meaningless stuff like some player doing up his shoelaces while the play is going on, or zooming so far in to the player with the ball that you can see his zits but not the options up field for him to kick to? thats nothing to do with the afl, or even channel 7. its just the s**t standard of sports broadcasting we have as a whole. plus the biggest muckraking journos are afl employed journos, like barrett. and if you sack every single one of them you know whos gonna replace them? their apprentices who will do the exact same thing because thats all theyve been taught.

you wa people need to stop blaming the afl for everything.

Ok Gillon, what was I blaming? Was just stating their is no independent media covering footy. As you think their is can you please list them.

has nothing to do with the afl. you think the afl are demanding spuds like darcy get the main commentary gig, or for the cameramen to follow meaningless stuff like some player doing up his shoelaces while the play is going on, or zooming so far in to the player with the ball that you can see his zits but not the options up field for him to kick to? thats nothing to do with the afl, or even channel 7. its just the s**t standard of sports broadcasting we have as a whole. plus the biggest muckraking journos are afl employed journos, like barrett. and if you sack every single one of them you know whos gonna replace them? their apprentices who will do the exact same thing because thats all theyve been taught.

you wa people need to stop blaming the afl for everything.

Yeah the broadcasters seem to have missed the memo that these days most people have high definition 60"+ TV's and they could actually zoom out a bit so we can see the field of play beyond the actual ball.

Bring back press red for no commentary but crowd noise remains.

Or options where u can change commentary.

What ever happened to the virtual reality idea where you wear a helmet at home and you can watch the game from whatever seat you want... That would be awesome.

Think they were trialling it with EPL but dunno how far it got.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most of this thread is just nonsense without any backing data or evidence.

But one thing that is true is that the coverage of the game is in a pretty dire state. Channel 7s entire approach and team is incredibly stale. The best thing that could happen for the AFL is someone else getting the rights.
I am not sure whether this item has already been raised but the article in Monday's GUARDIAN AUSTRALIA in relation to declining AFL crowds is really worth reading. OK. It is at:

If you read the latter article carefully it makes some really salient points. Anyway, goodnight & good luck.

I'm not reading too far into crowds at the moment

There's so much illness going around.

At my local school there was a class with 6 kids attending yesterday. Out of 25. And usually attendance is high there, like 90-95% or something.

You gotta hand it to the AFL, they've managed to convince fans its everything EXCEPT the new rules which has made the game a 50m festival and free kicks on grass. I'll give you the tip, the average footy fan doesn't pay money to watch umpires be the main event and players penalised for stepping 1cm on the mark of lifting their arms.

FFS - People are now blaming cold weather! This must be a first winter in 30 years! Some weird form of Stockholm Syndrome here.

You gotta hand it to the AFL, they've managed to convince fans its everything EXCEPT the new rules which has made the game a 50m festival and free kicks on grass. I'll give you the tip, the average footy fan doesn't pay money to watch umpires be the main event and players penalised for stepping 1cm on the mark of lifting their arms.

FFS - People are now blaming cold weather! This must be a first winter in 30 years! Some weird form of Stockholm Syndrome here.

AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you​

I actually agree with Petracca's comments - 7:25pm on a freezing Saturday night at the G isn't enticing for young families and the like to attend. They really should schedule mostly day games at the G and utilise Marvel at night.
is that why under 30k turned up on a saturday arvo for 1st vs 3rd in round 11?

well as petracca said, its the oldies who are staying away.
What do you think it’s going to be like in 10-15 years when a lot of boomers have left us or are to old to go with sfa of the younger generations falling in love with the game? Because your literally seeing it now. It’s a s**t show waiting to happen.

"coaches need to out coach their opponents" and that my friend has is the crux of the problem.
I would say "end of story" if umpiring consistency wasn't there but it is also there.
The AFL has changed some things dramatically that have changed the whole feel of the game. When talking about coaching the AFL
I MEANT COACHES NEED TO COACH BETTER AND OUT-COACH OTHER COACHES,
not have to coach against the damned AFL, and their rule changers. Those in officialdom that see fit over lord the sport that they
DON'T OWN!

Those who change rules for WHAT???
See the fact is that they have changed the rules there is no argument there, and no sport has done so much bastardy to its tradition than the AFL has done to our game right now. Maybe good in some parts but the bad is woeful and the free kick counts and perceptions all different aere woeful too..

Little by little year after year where now the free kick and the least contact you can make fits the AFL criteria.

It doesn't fit people who know real football without umpire over kill and create stop start footy as it looks.

It doesn't take a genius to know that the fact is RULES HAVE BEEN CHANGED. Changed during the last few years massively.

If you are that easily pleased, well, your easily pleased.
YOU CAN TAKE REVENGE NEXT WEEKEND AFTER THE GAME. BUT i HAVE MANY PEOPLE THINK THE SAME AS I.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think it’s going to be like in 10-15 years when a lot of boomers have left us or are to old to go with sfa of the younger generations falling in love with the game? Because your literally seeing it now. It’s a s**t show waiting to happen.
well then maybe clubs like north, melbourne etc will have to fold and the bigger clubs that have engaged their youth and are getting 40k+ attendances while being mid table (ess, rich, coll, blues for example) will survive.

If we (richmond) can still be a top drawing club (currently the top drawing club, and averaging 55k to home games where the next best is collingwood at 45k) after the 40 years of being the worst club we had prior to 2017, then there's no excuse for a club like melbourne who while not winning flags, was still making PF and GF during those years. Melbourne fans complain about how bad they were from about 2005-2018, well that was us from about 1980-2017.

still, we're getting crowds rugby would dream of even on a bad day (and soccer/cricket/basketball cant imagine), so theres no reason the league should have a problem if the average crowd is around 30k. thats still 60%+ of most stadiums filled. Money can be cut if need really be.

Or you know, dont charge less for an entire season of streaming every single game (ie kayo) than you do for a 3 game membership.

The AFL has changed some things dramatically that have changed the whole feel of the game. When talking about coaching the AFL
I MEANT COACHES NEED TO COACH BETTER AND OUT-COACH OTHER COACHES,
not have to coach against the damned AFL, and their rule changers. Those in officialdom that see fit over lord the sport that they
DON'T OWN!

Those who change rules for WHAT???
See the fact is that they have changed the rules there is no argument there, and no sport has done so much bastardy to its tradition than the AFL has done to our game right now. Maybe good in some parts but the bad is woeful and the free kick counts and perceptions all different aere woeful too..

Little by little year after year where now the free kick and the least contact you can make fits the AFL criteria.

It doesn't fit people who know real football without umpire over kill and create stop start footy as it looks.

It doesn't take a genius to know that the fact is RULES HAVE BEEN CHANGED. Changed during the last few years massively.

If you are that easily pleased, well, your easily pleased.
YOU CAN TAKE REVENGE NEXT WEEKEND AFTER THE GAME. BUT i HAVE MANY PEOPLE THINK THE SAME AS I.
when's your year 8 english exam?

Until these fwits take a step back on the rules I’m not watching another game

glad GILL is the first one to do everyone the favour and walk out

It’s a long way back now to bring the game to where it was some years ago.
The constant rule changing, attempts to manufacture more scoring, ticketing system changes along with the cost has really kept a lot of once due hard supporters away.

The passion for the game seems to be dying off, these ridiculous rules which are flat out embarrassing make the game so hard to watch, even the free kicks your team win are cringeworthy.

To me it seems it’s gonna take years of fixing to get the game back to a great spectacle but the admin of the afl are way to smug to admit they’ve fugged the golden goose, at best they’ll maybe slightly alter one rule, Gillon, S.hocking and now b.Scott have their hands all over this s**t show.

Until these fwits take a step back on the rules I’m not watching another game

glad GILL is the first one to do everyone the favour and walk out
I’ve gone on many a rant where I feel my team got reamed by the umps but honestly port got absolutely blasted in the ass by the umps last night, the amount of free kicks paid that were genuine no calls was astounding, even Carey said he has no idea what holding the ball is, 2 completely similar incidents get 2 completely different results.
#boycottAFL

The passion for the game seems to be dying off, these ridiculous rules which are flat out embarrassing make the game so hard to watch, even the free kicks your team win are cringeworthy.
The dour style of play for the last fifteen years is, I think, also important.

But above all, for younger people, we have a lot more choice. One of my closest mates is from Frankston, and his team of choice is… Tottenham Hotspur. Would never have happened in the 90s.

It’s like Falcon and Commodore, the monopoly was not sustainable forever. International soccer and basketball have started to grab the eyeballs of younger people.

also, you only ever saw 1-2 games a week on tv. now every game is broadcast and analysed to death
True. Looking back at the 1990s.....

For the AFL, free to air was a premium.

If you followed west coast or crows and you lived in that home state, you got the game live in 7.

That 2002-6 era when channels 9 and 10 had shared the free to air games was good.

9 had the Friday night and Sunday Arvo games. 10 had Saturday Arvo and Saturday night games.

Is there any possibility that the game could ‘snap back’ to better times? Normally trying to recreate the past is not a fruitful endeavour but my god it feels like we need to go backwards to go forwards. It’d look something like:
  • Revert the rules to exactly what they were ten years ago
  • Employ professional commentators only, with only occasional contributions from ex players
  • Stop aflw. Nobody likes it.
  • Adjusted media philosophy that focuses on clubs rather than gushing over individual players
  • never, ever cut to the female on the side lines who updates us with the “developing story” of the night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back