AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you

Remove this Banner Ad

In my opinion
-Post Covid and uncertain times people probably aren’t going to live sports as much
-Increased professionalism players are fitter and able to cover more ground less space on offer
-coaches will look to stem scoring first it’s not a new phenomenon sports are trending this way
- absurd rule changes i umpired ammo’s in 2019 it was tough then let alone now.

The game is unquestionably more congested and defensive then it was. Personally I’d simplify the interpretation of rules, make it cheaper to attend, more fta games and let the game Evolve naturally
The rules changes also encourage flooding which no one talks about, because it's harder to defend with the stand rule with moving around on the mark you often see players flood earlier & also give away deliberate free kicks and run straight away in defense with the umpire telling player awarded the free kick to go behind the mark allows teams to exploit it. you will often see a similar game or uglier game before these rule changes came in.. I don't think it has opened up anymore.

They defn need more GA priced seats for walk-ups. And slash price to $20 adult. $10 concession. $5 kids. $40 family.
And cut food prices too
The ticket prices are ludicrous. I just had a look and GA is $55 for an adult ticket to sit on the "wing" (actually the flank/pocket) at the G. You can take the family for $72 if you want to sit in the bleachers but try to get a seat on level 2 and it's $75 each! And this is for Melb/Bris on a Thursday night, a game which will struggle to get 25k. Those prices are laughable.

The AFL desperately need to reconsider these prices, it is just not feasible for an average family especially with the looming economic difficulties. Good luck though, I'm sure they rather sell 10k tickets at $55 rather than 20k tickets at $20.

As an AFL/club member I haven't had to buy GA tickets ever really but if I wasn't a member and had to pay those prices I doubt I'd take the family more than once or twice a year if that. Nevermind the cost of finals tickets.

mathews ablett and lockett werent tough. being a thug who hits people off the ball is not tough. juts go watch MMA and leave footy to people who arent small dick manbabies who sook and swing their fists when theyre beaten
They were thugs but they also played tough and put themselves on the line when required. The physicality was a huge part of what made the sport great (I'm talking the bumps/tackles not the king hits or elbows) and it has been all but eroded.

If the question is what is discouraging fans from attending the games, then I doubt it’s a few rule changes. No matter how much complaining there is about the spectacle, people are still watching and complaining about it.

In terms of going to the game, I’d say it’s post Covid hesitation coupled with exorbitant pricing.

Yeah the broadcasters seem to have missed the memo that these days most people have high definition 60"+ TV's and they could actually zoom out a bit so we can see the field of play beyond the actual ball.
To be fair I've found they are actually doing this a lot more this year. They have been using the wide angle wing position showing 2/3 if the ground and zooming in less frequently. One of the few things they've done to improve the broadcasting in over a decade

well then maybe clubs like north, melbourne etc will have to fold and the bigger clubs that have engaged their youth and are getting 40k+ attendances while being mid table (ess, rich, coll, blues for example) will survive.
21k against Port mate

Is there any possibility that the game could ‘snap back’ to better times? Normally trying to recreate the past is not a fruitful endeavour but my god it feels like we need to go backwards to go forwards. It’d look something like:
  • Revert the rules to exactly what they were ten years ago
  • Employ professional commentators only, with only occasional contributions from ex players
  • Stop aflw. Nobody likes it.
  • Adjusted media philosophy that focuses on clubs rather than gushing over individual players
  • never, ever cut to the female on the side lines who updates us with the “developing story” of the night
Why would you stop AFLW when female participation would be one of the few growth areas? Silly comment.

I do agree about turning back the clock but the omelette can't be unscrambled unfortunately - unless you find a way to stop 36 players chasing the ball around like under 12s the game will never be what it was.

I've been advocating for a reduction in players on the ground for years hoping it would break down the defensive zones but even then I'm not sure it would work. Coaches will probably start playing everyone behind the footy ala soccer and trying to score on fast breaks (even more so than now). Like rock it's dead, not sure it will ever get back to its glory days.

A little thing called the rules of the game. It wasn't over until the umpire signals it. Well let's change decisions retrospectively, there are a few from over 100 years of football. Let's talk about the Hawkins goal point, still awaiting correction there, just a premiership on the line instead of four points.
It is what it is. Change the rules, that's ok, but don't go back and change decisions/results from the past in response to those new rules. Mental.
St. Kilda was awarded a win against Melbourne retrospectively when a point Melbourne scored was deemed to have been kicked after the halftime siren. The result (a draw) was reversed days after the game finished and the Saints were awarded the win by a point.

This happened in 1900 and was St Kildas first win in the VFL after 48 consecutive losses. True story.

I know exactly what you're trying to do here, and you will try a "gotcha" moment saying a particular rule isn't "new" because it wasn't introduced this year.

If you really think that the game is in good shape, then I give up. People aren't going because they're disillusioned - it's not COVID or the weather.

Let's be real here, we all love (or I should say, "loved") footy and we go to watch the players play. The AFL has sanitised the game to the point where it is NOT the same game we loved watching. We now go to watch the umpires. Why on earth would we pay money to watch an umpire pay 50 metre penalties at nauseum because a player lifted their arms, dropped his jaw, rolled his eyes? Ok, that has been rescinded this week - mind you, without communication.

Last night we saw Port Adelaide penalised because he ran past a player 10 metres away which had absolutely NO impact on the play - 50m penalty = goal. I don't give a s**t if my team benefitted, that's not football!

The "Stand" rule, honestly, if you think this is good for football then the game is well and truly cooked. Players take a step and its 50m penalty? The game is netball on grass!

You cannot watch a passage of play for 20 seconds without a free kick.

Let's be clear, I'm not umpiring bashing, it's the fault of Gil, Hocking and Scott for killing a once great game and changing it to a barely contact sport with now effectively watching Scarecrow Tiggy with players not allowed to move.

Let's stop pretending there isn't a problem WITH THE GAME - blaming everything else is comical. You can only fix a problem when you acknowledge you have a problem.

#boycottAFL
I think it's a combination. People were already sick of this crap but kept attending games anyway out of loyalty/habit whatever. Then comes covid and people maybe realised they didn't miss going to the games as much as they thought they would. Post covid malaise, cold weather, poor transport, covid hesitation/isolations and other colds/flus, poor experience at the grounds, $10 for mid strength beet etc all makes it easier to now say "nah stuff it" to the game they were already getting frustrated with pre-covid.

Why would you stop AFLW when female participation would be one of the few growth areas? Silly comment.

I do agree about turning back the clock but the omelette can't be unscrambled unfortunately - unless you find a way to stop 36 players chasing the ball around like under 12s the game will never be what it was.

I've been advocating for a reduction in players on the ground for years hoping it would break down the defensive zones but even then I'm not sure it would work. Coaches will probably start playing everyone behind the footy ala soccer and trying to score on fast breaks (even more so than now). Like rock it's dead, not sure it will ever get back to its glory days.
Surely the answer must be a pies-n-cigs diet for the players - no full ground press if you’re all a bunch of oxygen-deprived land whales…

Because it’s growth of one very small demographic (people who like gender politics pretending to like sport, and probably deep down hate the pastime of the unwashed masses) at the expense of the bulk of the genuine fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it’s growth of one very small demographic (people who like gender politics pretending to like sport, and probably deep down hate the pastime of the unwashed masses) at the expense of the bulk of the genuine fans.
It's encouraging more girls to play/watch footy. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't see the problem.

It's encouraging more girls to play/watch footy. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't see the problem.
There you go. It’s “encouraging”, not a sport in its own right. Where people follow the season and are actually invested in the outcome.
It’s inspiration and hashtaggery. Nobody likes it.

My biggest issue with the AFL is the omnipresent VFL legacy, and it’s impact on truely nationalising the game. You can see this across so many aspects of the way the operational and strategic management of the game is implemented and it’s doubled down on by Victorian fans on mass. Look at people referencing expansion clubs as ‘franchises’ with an undertone of superiority, look at the fixturing that has Fremantle play at the MCG only once across the full H&A season whilst enforcing them to play their in September to be able to compete for a flag.

The biggest example of this for me in recent history was the decision to lock the Grand Final into the MCG for another 50 years. A big part of my love for the game died with that decision and I really don’t think the AFL commission or board sees the damage they have done. If the league wants to remain relevant it should find a way of breaking the strangle hold Victoria and the MCC has over the league whilst acknowledging the heritage.

Just because something has been done in a particular way or place for a long time doesn’t make it the most sensible way to do it forever.

I used to attend at least 20 neutral games a year in Melbourne, but now I have given up my AFL membership and only go to Fremantle games. I refuse to continue supporting a league that so blatantly disrespects my club managed out of a state where the presiding view seems to be some variant of ‘you joined our league so suck it up’.

I have actively encourage my kids to turn their back on the AFL. I would too if I didn’t love my club so much.

There you go. It’s “encouraging”, not a sport in its own right. Where people follow the season and are actually invested in the outcome.
It’s inspiration and hashtaggery. Nobody likes it.
Do you hate watch it? I don't see the problem, no one is forcing you to watch it. I don't really watch it either but I'm not going to rage against something that doesn't impact me in the slightest.

People do follow the season and are invested in the outcome. The fact it also encourages girls to play/watch/participate is just a healthy side effect.

Do you hate watch it? I don't see the problem, no one is forcing you to watch it. I don't really watch it either but I'm not going to rage against something that doesn't impact me in the slightest.

People do follow the season and are invested in the outcome. The fact it also encourages girls to play/watch/participate is just a healthy side effect.
No, for the same reasons as everyone else, I do not watch it. I am just pointing out why I believe it is part of the AFL’s decline.

People do not follow it in any significant numbers. They barrack for the sport, not for their team.

mathews ablett and lockett werent tough. being a thug who hits people off the ball is not tough. juts go watch MMA and leave footy to people who arent small dick manbabies who sook and swing their fists when theyre beaten

You clearly didn't see much of them. All were physical (as were a lot of others) but Ablett and Lockett weren't dirty. Matthews was, but he was also from an earlier era (he started in 1969, Ablett and Lockett in 1982 and 1983).

You can like MMA and footy at the same time too.

My biggest issue with the AFL is the omnipresent VFL legacy, and it’s impact on truely nationalising the game. You can see this across so many aspects of the way the operational and strategic management of the game is implemented and it’s doubled down on by Victorian fans on mass. Look at people referencing expansion clubs as ‘franchises’ with an undertone of superiority, look at the fixturing that has Fremantle play at the MCG only once across the full H&A season whilst enforcing them to play their in September to be able to compete for a flag.

The biggest example of this for me in recent history was the decision to lock the Grand Final into the MCG for another 50 years. A big part of my love for the game died with that decision and I really don’t think the AFL commission or board sees the damage they have done. If the league wants to remain relevant it should find a way of breaking the strangle hold Victoria and the MCC has over the league whilst acknowledging the heritage.

Just because something has been done in a particular way or place for a long time doesn’t make it the most sensible way to do it forever.

I used to attend at least 20 neutral games a year in Melbourne, but now I have given up my AFL membership and only go to Fremantle games. I refuse to continue supporting a league that so blatantly disrespects my club managed out of a state where the presiding view seems to be some variant of ‘you joined our league so suck it up’.

I have actively encourage my kids to turn their back on the AFL. I would too if I didn’t love my club so much.
Well said. Its driven in the media too.

Yes I understand there are more vic teams but you can feel the bias comung through.

Even in the matey matey tv/radio calling of games.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

As an old fart I am no longer interested in going to a match live.It is way to noisy and at Marvel the three throws of flashing ads grab my attention and threaten to give me a headache.
Oh for the days of a quiet half time having a beer and a pie and checking the results from other games.

The biggest lie from the AFL is that attendance numbers are increasing. While the AFL keep believing/selling this story it covers up any problem.

On the sight yesterday's crows looked 10k. Plenty of shenanigans from loyal North folk double dipping the scanners. AFL will be happy. Free pies all round.

As an old fart I am no longer interested in going to a match live.It is way to noisy and at Marvel the three throws of flashing ads grab my attention and threaten to give me a headache.
Oh for the days of a quiet half time having a beer and a pie and checking the results from other games.
G v K
R v T
A v B

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back