Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Sydney v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Few observations from a terrible night:

We have zero dare in our game, we defend with the ball in our hand, we don't link up at all, that could be personnel or instructional, my guess it's the former.

We have players that hold the ball to long after a mark. Ross, Membrey, Patton, Billings, Howard these guys hold onto it after a mark usually for at least 4-5 seconds, it just kills your ball movement.

BJ made a great point about King, he hasn't got much forward craft at the moment relies on his physical ability and presence rather then smarts when he combines the 2 it'll look a lot better and a lot more consistent. He is 21 i'm not in the slightest concerned.

Marshall was dominant last night with not a lot of return. If Ryder isn't cherry ripe to come back i'd like us to keep looking at him as a one out option. I think he plays his best footy in that scenario and we are investing a lot of money and years in him, we probably need to get the best possible return, him one out in the Ruck will give him and the club the best chance to achieve that.

Jones i'm sure would've been dropped if Dmac didn't get hurt. He was wearing White along with Ryder and Hill at training. He has been nothing short of shocking the last 6 weeks.

Clark found some form and touch, especially early. The holding the Ball and 50 at the start of the third probably sucked the life out of the team which is very disappointing. Our resilience was our main strength for the first half of the year we've lost that. Destiny is still in our hands considering we play all the teams above us. Win Next week we're back on track.

Our best forward (and only hope to winning games some weeks) is not getting dropped.
He's our best forward when he decides. I can't remember a player ever giving up mid contest and turning his back on the play. He has to be dropped, probably won't because there is absolutely zero choice, and he's who we are placing hope on for winning games.

In the spirit of us enjoying of our themed matches, I propose next season we pioneer the Roe v Wade round, in the hope we don’t ******* dish up yet another abortion.
Jesus

The background of your avatar is relatable to an experience I had of Friday evening.
I call the lords name, and he appears. I'm cool with all the gods. Gods recognise gods.

Membrey's best position is full forward, and Ratts should play him there and figure out what to do about King's one-dimensional game amongst other forward line problems, let alone playing Sharman as a ruck/ half forward or whatever...what a mess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the spirit of us enjoying of our themed matches, I propose next season we pioneer the Roe v Wade round, in the hope we don’t ******* dish up yet another abortion.
I think we should introduce Grand Final as a theme, it would be a massive success with our supporter base, one week of the year we could attend the footy and pretend it is an actual Grand Final. You could start the weekend with a GF parade on the Friday, the pre game entertainment could be re enactments of how to lose a GF, then after we lose we could all meet up at the club on the Sunday to greet the players and support each other after another devastating loss. I think it would be huge success for our club and would quickly be the themed round we most look forward to, I'm going to contact the club and float the idea.

if there’s one person at the club I would trust to do what needs to be done - it’s him.
For a year he sat behind me. He gets properly shitty at uncommitted performances (without acting like a dill). He's not just doing the job to make connections and end up running the local yacht club.

I think we saw last night how big of a loss Hayes was. Moving Marshall to first ruck was a good move because he was able to have a big influence, unfortunately the move of having Sharman ruck up forward was a complete disaster as Hickey just grabbed it and booted it every time or intercept marked.

At the end of the day the most important type of pressure is scoreboard pressure and if you have 2 goals on the board half way through the last you will never win. The game was something of an arm wrestle for quite a while but our complete inability to score just meant in the end the tide was too much.

A few things I've noticed in terms of the forwards is that our kicks get intercepted so often, especially centre clearances. Now why is that? It suggests to me our forwards are lazy, they need to spoil more. On the other hand our smalls at the moment are incredibly average, I really like Ben Long but he is an incredibly average player that really only looks good when the side is up and about, Butler is hideously out of form, King out of form, Higgins out of form and in the 2s, Billings is an ok player but seems to lack zip and creativity. Membrey is a great lead up mark type player and he is trying hard but can't get his hands on it inside 50. Basically the forward line is a shambles at the moment but there is no easy way to fix it unless Higgins comes back in and hits form.

Maybe we can try Hill forward again, I don't know but something needs to change in terms of our scoring because if we don't find a way to score we might not win another game. Another move I wouldn't mind is throwing Nasiah into the forward line.

I see the blame is getting thrown at Ratts, I'm really unsure a different coach would help right now. If sacking Ratts and getting someone else would help then I'd be all for it, but will it? The strange thing about this season is that we were looking great, then looking ok, now our form is probably the worst in the competition. We have to believe we can turn the form around and at least start challenging teams again.

To do that we need to start scoring.
It’s easy to look good beating North, Adelaide, GWS.

We then used 10-15 min splits to beat Richmond, Geelong and Fremantle after being outplayed in the first half and behind on the score.

I think we should introduce Grand Final as a theme, it would be a massive success with our supporter base, one week of the year we could attend the footy and pretend it is an actual Grand Final. You could start the weekend with a GF parade on the Friday, the pre game entertainment could be re enactments of how to lose a GF, then after we lose we could all meet up at the club on the Sunday to greet the players and support each other after another devastating loss. I think it would be huge success for our club and would quickly be the themed round we most look forward to, I'm going to contact the club and float the idea.
Isn’t that what we were doing with the NAB Cup or whatever it’s called when we’d beat Carlton and get all hyped up?

Not King's fault at all, have a look at the entry last night. Deplorable. Every time we held it up outside 50 you just knew a bomb was coming. I just shook my head every time and I knew by the second quarter it wasn't working and never was going to work. I saw Long heave one into the 50, a ball that would've hit the roof at Marvel, later on in the game and it got me legitimately laughing.

No forward in the competition can produce when that is the kind of junk being given to them.
Gresh, Crouch and Jones were deplorable last night. No team can function with that engine room. It's ridiculous even taking about the forwards or defenders.

This is brilliant. Imagine the money we could make on merchandise every year. And we just have to make sure it's always against last years wooden spooners.

Jesus wasn’t a god, champion, he was a human/zombie.
You should know better, your mob has the cool gods
Zombie he reckons.

Put the iced teas away and have a lay down champo

Not King's fault at all, have a look at the entry last night. Deplorable. Every time we held it up outside 50 you just knew a bomb was coming. I just shook my head every time and I knew by the second quarter it wasn't working and never was going to work. I saw Long heave one into the 50, a ball that would've hit the roof at Marvel, later on in the game and it got me legitimately laughing.

No forward in the competition can produce when that is the kind of junk being given to them.
That’s exactly why I was saying, forwards are not the problem, it’s the game plan/coaching. You put prime Carey, Dunstall or Lockett in our forward line, they’ll struggle too..

When King doesn’t mark the ball against an army of defenders and opposition midfield, are Butler and Higgins going to chase and tackle their entire team to force a turnover? Insane!!! Forwards’ job is to kick goals first, and put pressure when required.. but we spend 90% of the time chasing tails because our game plan do not give forwards a chance to succeed..

This is brilliant. Imagine the money we could make on merchandise every year. And we just have to make sure it's always against last years wooden spooners.

We’d lose every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back