Rumour Adelaide Crows camp

Remove this Banner Ad

No s**t.

And ANZAC day is used as a gimmick to sell tickets and merch.

And the Ted Whitten game didn't raise any money for cancer research.

AFL is just a scam now. Every round there is something to donate to:

• ANZAC Appeal
  • Good Friday
  • Spud's Game
  • Maddie's Game
  • Indigenous Round
  • Big Freeze

I swear there was a period of around 8 weeks in a row when they kept asking for donations every week

It's probably the biggest over reaction to a Grand Final loss in footy history, Adelaide were the best team all year, but blew it on Grand Final day. The Tigers were pretty good also, no real shame in losing to them that year. I follow Geelong so i know what it's like to stuff up Grand Finals. However some wise acre has decided that the Crows were not tough enough and came up with this camp idea, camps are okay, but who was responsible for the outline of the whole thing and why the cone of silence when some players were not comfortable with it all? Fours years later and the ramifications are still being felt.
This was basically what Josh Jenkins was saying on SEN

"Yeah we lost and it was disappointing, but it was against a strong team that went on to form a dynasty, on their home ground in front of their fans. It was a let down, but it wasn't such a disaster that we needed to do all this insane brainwashing crap....."

• No real info given to players beforehand about what the camp would entail
  • JJ and other players already skeptical about what was going to happen
  • Doctors and welfare staff specifically excluded from discussions
  • JJ had a broken childhood, and this was used against him with the Camp staff shouting abuse at him and strongly encouraging other players to do so.
  • JJ and other players start protesting during the Camp once they see the abusive crap going on, are essentially bullied into shutting up for the "greater good"
  • Players encouraged to strongly abuse Tex Walker for "being our captain who let us down on the biggest stage"
  • Indigenous players begin raising concerns, JJ becomes the lightning rod for discontent and the one who presents the complaints to the club.
  • Club decides to exclude indigenous boys from the leadership group.
  • JJ protests and is labelled a troublemaker and disruptive influence, it's what encourages him to quit the club.
  • Feels deeply unwelcome at the club and will find it hard to go back until Club truly faces up to this and "difficult conversations are had"

I think you've gone a bit skew whiff with the 3rd to last one. I think it refers to what Eddie had said about him pulling the indigenous players from the program. And instead of canning the program altogether, the club agreed and ran it with just the crackas. Which is separating the list into colours, at least as far as that programme went.

And Barrett wrote if Adelaide would have just apologised four years ago we wouldn’t be talking about this anymore. Yeah right… What’s Betts and Jenkins have revealed and corroborated this week is an absolute indictment on the club’s leadership, the AFL’s ‘independent’ ability in properly investigate their own and produce just consequences, and more than an apology is required. Most involved are still on charge of young men’s mental health on some level.

As has already been mentioned in this thread: AFL are sycophantic about their own image and have a least damaging options approach to justice.

Pressure rating Teyvat

Where were Adelaide's medical staff while all this was going on? Sidelined? Were they consulted? Did they protest? And, if they did, why were they not listened to? Absolute shame on the administration if Adelaide 's medical staff objected to all of this and they were ignored. Their (the administration) resume's should be stamped, "Never to work in the industry again."

I recall that Tom Lynch actually fell (physically) ill on the camp and the camp organisers actively hindered efforts to get the club doctor to check on him.

So there's that.

Nevermind Worksafe SA found no wrongdoing, legal action taken by the company was successful this is just an opinion-based exercise. Leaks to the media line up pretty well with the book excerpts. Hm.
I am only interested in facts, not sensationalist journalism

Hmm, looks like the media understated what happened not sensationalised or speculated. Here are some facts for you.
it just gets worse and worse yet you are hell bent is making out the press were just on a witch-hunt .

Hmm, looks like the media understated what happened not sensationalised or speculated. Here are some facts for you.
it just gets worse and worse yet you are hell bent is making out the press were just on a witch-hunt .

I stopped responding to you because you have misrepresented my point the entire time and continue to do so even in your latest post.

It is better for both of us if we don't go further. Take it as a victory if that helps your ego.

Just a question for the legally minded here, regardless of safeworkSA, the AFL and the AFLPA finding no fault surely this "camp" drives a bulldozer through the participants human rights? The club signed waivers FOR them? Surely there is a whole world of civil suits/class actions opening up now. That doctor's report could cost a lot of people a lot of money when it surfaces, destroy a lot of reputations. I mean why go to such great lengths to cover it all up.....Oh.

Putting yourself in the players shoes, you have to feel for them.
If you speak up you get demoted or don't get a game and eventually get pushed out. Your job and your livelihood if you speak up.
The people involved and the club need to be punished.
Glad the Pies didn't get Don Pyke, who the hell lets this rubbish go on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stopped responding to you because you have misrepresented my point the entire time and continue to do so even in your latest post.

It is better for both of us if we don't go further. Take it as a victory if that helps your ego.
No, just hope it helps in your limited understanding of what the effects were of this camp.
it is unbelievable that someone was more concerned about the reporting of it than the actual events of the camp And the effect it had on the players and club as a whole.
Your posts centred around the lack of quality of the journalism where the rest of the country were discussing the lack of concern for the players impacted by this camp.

You stopped responding because you did not have a leg to stand on.

Just a question for the legally minded here, regardless of safeworkSA, the AFL and the AFLPA finding no fault surely this "camp" drives a bulldozer through the participants human rights? The club signed waivers FOR them? Surely there is a whole world of civil suits/class actions opening up now. That doctor's report could cost a lot of people a lot of money when it surfaces, destroy a lot of reputations. I mean why go to such great lengths to cover it all up.....Oh.
Safework found no wrong doing.... It would be interesting what they were actually told. The AFLPA have stated they are hearing things for the first time, no reason to think that wouldn't also apply to Safework SA.

Take the revelation from Jenkins latest comments & Betts book about being promised what you are telling a counsellor would be kept private, to then have that yelled back at you in an abusive, demeaning nature in front of the entire playing group. Thats not only a gross breach of your privacy, its actually illegal.

Safework found no wrong doing.... It would be interesting what they were actually told. The AFLPA have stated they are hearing things for the first time, no reason to think that wouldn't also apply to Safework SA.

Take the revelation from Jenkins latest comments & Betts book about being promised what you are telling a counsellor would be kept private, to then have that yelled back at you in an abusive, demeaning nature in front of the entire playing group. Thats not only a gross breach of your privacy, its actually illegal.

I also wonder about SafeworkSA remit to investigate these kind of events.

What powers/expertise do they have in this area of brain washing/abusive coercion?

Going to guess they are more geared towards checking scaffolding than cultural oppression, given the number of toxic workplaces out there.

Then there is the political pressure to finish all this up quickly and find no fault on anyone at SA INC.

Wait till the doctors report leaks.

Last edited:
Putting yourself in the players shoes, you have to feel for them.
If you speak up you get demoted or don't get a game and eventually get pushed out. Your job and your livelihood if you speak up.
The people involved and the club need to be punished.
Glad the Pies didn't get Don Pyke, who the hell lets this rubbish go on.

JJ said on SEN he has stayed quiet for so long so he didn't lose friendships that were important to him.

Guessing Pyke won't be applying for any of the vacant coaching positions now.

How must the Swans indigenous players feel?

Only if said "counsellor" is a professional with professional registration and university qualifications. Not, Cert 3's & 4's plucked out of a Cornflakes box. These "counsellors" have no place delving into the psyche of the brain. It's downright dangerous, and, as we've seen, the effects are long lasting. They sidelined and disenfranchised Adelaide's Welfare Manager and Doctor for a reason - to silence dissenting voices.

Only if said "counsellor" is a professional with professional registration and university qualifications. Not, Cert 3's & 4's plucked out of a Cornflakes box. These "counsellors" have no place delving into the psyche of the brain. It's downright dangerous, and, as we've seen, the effects are long lasting. They sidelined and disenfranchised Adelaide's Welfare Manager and Doctor for a reason - to silence dissenting voices.
Yeah the fact that they aren't actual professionals means they probably cannot be done for violating any professional codes. But does any of what they did potentially cross over into practising medicine without being a doctor - whatever the legal term for that is?

Betts revealed on 360 on Tuesday that the AFL knew about what happened - he and other players told them so the book cannot be the first time they were hearing this (I actually don’t think Betts is lying, I don’t know anyone who does think that). The best case scenario for the AFL, PA, WSA, etc (which is terrible)- if they say anything at all specific - is that during their ‘investigations’ some of the playing group have directly contradicted others so without external corroborating evidence they could not establish negative findings.

This letter from the club’s medico Jenkins has referenced is a linchpin.

Pressure rating Teyvat

No, just hope it helps in your limited understanding of what the effects were of this camp.
it is unbelievable that someone was more concerned about the reporting of it than the actual events of the camp And the effect it had on the players and club as a whole.
Your posts centred around the lack of quality of the journalism where the rest of the country were discussing the lack of concern for the players impacted by this camp.

You stopped responding because you did not have a leg to stand on.

Misrepresented yet again.

Yeah the fact that they aren't actual professionals means they probably cannot be done for violating any professional codes. But does any of what they did potentially cross over into practising medicine without being a doctor - whatever the legal term for that is?

That's the problem. The whole "mind-training" industry is completely unregulated. Alpha males fall for it continuously. Bloody corrupt if you ask me.

Misrepresented yet again.
Oh you poor victim.
Fancy getting called out for suggesting the press was the problem and not the club running the camp . :tearsofjoy:

When are you going to share with us the medias speculation and sensationalism you alluded to???
How does it compare with the Betts and Jenkins version of what transpired????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back