News Hawthorn and Adidas part ways in 2022…what next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the shoes in their catalogue it would want to be a big offer ! I’m obviously not a professional sportsman but I wouldn’t wear any of their stuff if it was free or if I was paid money there’s got to be a line you don’t cross it would be like wearing “ Gaze” brand of basketball shoes .
In all seriousness though we mustn’t be regarded as a real marketable team anymore if none of the big players like Puma , Nike or NB etc want to touch us .

It all comes down to money in the end doesn't it?. The fact they're trying to expand and break into the mark could be a positive and there is a care factor in the quality product they put out. I feel like Adidas lost that a bit towards the end. I'll reserve judgement until we see the products, but we don't see something to the early edition castore west coast jumpers.

The issue with a new manufacturer in regards to our club is that it will be VERY easy to get it wrong depending on the shade of brown or gold.

BLK did a poor job of the Bulldogs and Tigers but black, red, white, blue and yellow are standard enough that nothing looked offensive until you compared it to their gear.

A first-timer is one yuck shade of brown from making us look like a joke.

It all comes down to money in the end doesn't it?. The fact they're trying to expand and break into the mark could be a positive and there is a care factor in the quality product they put out. I feel like Adidas lost that a bit towards the end. I'll reserve judgement until we see the products, but we don't see something to the early edition castore west coast jumpers.
Not necessarily just the money . Who would want to fork out for a jersey with the “ Skechers “ brand on it I think the clubs merchandise sales will take a huge hit . The brand is just associated with being low rent poor quality and very cheap we will be laughed at .Only got to look at their footwear catalog it just stinks !

The issue with a new manufacturer in regards to our club is that it will be VERY easy to get it wrong depending on the shade of brown or gold.

BLK did a poor job of the Bulldogs and Tigers but black, red, white, blue and yellow are standard enough that nothing looked offensive until you compared it to their gear.

A first-timer is one yuck shade of brown from making us look like a joke.

Oddly Puma did a poor job on our gold for a few years then obviously read the room a bit better when they got the Richmond gig and instantly won favour with that fanbase for reverting to the more yellow sash.

I thought our jumper the past two seasons was a disgrace, looked like a vic market job.

All gold back next year please
I agree I think like we have done in the past a new era should result in a subtle change to our playing strip just to freshen it up a bit . Same Colours obviously but something different, for eg I was always a big fan of the brown back jersey we had a couple of years back as our away strip always thought that would be a good looking home kit .Disappointing if this Skechers deal is true though that’s a step backwards.

Not necessarily just the money . Who would want to fork out for a jersey with the “ Skechers “ brand on it I think the clubs merchandise sales will take a huge hit . The brand is just associated with being low rent poor quality and very cheap we will be laughed at .Only got to look at their footwear catalog it just stinks !

Would rather wear Hawthorn merch with Sketchers on it than merch with “Tasmanian” on it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as the All Gold back returns and the putrid ‘Tasmanian’ logo goes I’m not fussed.
Adidas has dropped the ball from the early days with us.

Oddly Puma did a poor job on our gold for a few years then obviously read the room a bit better when they got the Richmond gig and instantly won favour with that fanbase for reverting to the more yellow sash.

Which gold are you saying was better with Puma? I thought the 04-12 was a good color, but the yellow they were using in the few years before that was gross.

Anyway, if this random account with 6 posts who you would surely assume is trolling is in fact correct, that's incredibly disappointing and seems an un-Hawthorn decision. Think the merchandise sales will take a really massive hit.

Which gold are you saying was better with Puma? I thought the 04-12 was a good color, but the yellow they were using in the few years before that was gross.

Anyway, if this random account with 6 posts who you would surely assume is trolling is in fact correct, that's incredibly disappointing and seems an un-Hawthorn decision. Think the merchandise sales will take a really massive hit.
If it’s a troll he’s gone to great lengths and is quite convincing. It really would be a disappointing decision if true I agree . Who would want to pay top dollar for a jersey with “ Sketchers “ brand on it .

Last edited:
* I hope note.

Despite Sketchers being an absolutely awful product, being affiliated with global companies like Adidas surely gives the club a much better brand alignment.

I mean, we've got CJ literally hanging out with Manchester United (as he was overnight) due to this connection. These are small things, but they do mean something.

* I hope note.

Despite Sketchers being an absolutely awful product, being affiliated with global companies like Adidas surely gives the club a much better brand alignment.

I mean, we've got CJ literally hanging out with Manchester United (as he was overnight) due to this connection. These are small things, but they do mean something.

Not to mention it would help with player recruitment/retention if they’re getting hooked up with free gear and the chance to meet other athletes like you’ve mentioned.

Judging by the shoes in their catalogue it would want to be a big offer ! I’m obviously not a professional sportsman but I wouldn’t wear any of their stuff if it was free or if I was paid money there’s got to be a line you don’t cross it would be like wearing “ Gaze” brand of basketball shoes .
In all seriousness though we mustn’t be regarded as a real marketable team anymore if none of the big players like Puma , Nike or NB etc want to touch us .
I think it's the opposite, most AFL clubs are moving away from the big players because they really don't seem to give much of a s**t about the relatively fringe market of the AFL.

On the other hand, businesses like Cotton On and Skechers are desperate to break into the market so they'd throw big deals at clubs to make it happen.

I'm pretty sure having a deal with a Skechers doesn't mean that the players are all required to wear Skechers boots so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I think it's the opposite, most AFL clubs are moving away from the big players because they really don't seem to give much of a s**t about the relatively fringe market of the AFL.

On the other hand, businesses like Cotton On and Skechers are desperate to break into the market so they'd throw big deals at clubs to make it happen.

I'm pretty sure having a deal with a Skechers doesn't mean that the players are all required to wear Skechers boots so I'm not sure what the issue is.
For me and I’m being deadly serious it’s a marketing thing . For eg how would you feel if say ‘the Reject Shop “ decided to toss the $$$$ at us and our players were walking around with “ The Reject Shop” written all over the jerseys and tracksuits ??? Obviously the brand name “ Sketchers” isn’t as bad from an aesthetic POV but we are talking about a similar market ie low quality low price it doesn’t actually scream out professionalism. Put it this way you’d never see Man U sponsored by them . We’ve got 81,000 members and a big following these days surely we can attract a higher end brand

For me and I’m being deadly serious it’s a marketing thing . For eg how would you feel if say ‘the Reject Shop “ decided to toss the $$$$ at us and our players were walking around with “ The Reject Shop” written all over the jerseys and tracksuits ??? Obviously the brand name “ Sketchers” isn’t as bad from an aesthetic POV but we are talking about a similar market ie low quality low price it doesn’t actually scream out professionalism. Put it this way you’d never see Man U sponsored by them . We’ve got 81,000 members and a big following these days surely we can attract a higher end brand
Are you seriously comparing Manchester United to Hawthorn? The difference between the two is probably close to a hundred times the supportership.

Either way, Skechers as a brand is worth about $10b AUD so it's roughly the same size as Puma and growing faster. Not even close to comparable to being sponsored by The Reject Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back