Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just and observation, not a crack at you specifically …

I love how in our heads at the same time time we can both (1) rue the years we didn’t draft gun VFL players in our own back-yard and; (2) hate the clubs current strategy of picking up a Footscray VFL gun every year.

Sure some of those we missed became good AFL players and players we did pick amounted to nothing, but over a sustained period the counterfactual would have most likely been drafting a bunch of VFL guns who couldn’t take the next step (as well as those who did) and burning some of the rookie list spots used on Boyd, Harbrow, JJ, etc.
I suppose I'd prefer to take a shot at a VFL kpp or ruck since they tend to come good at a later age.

Can't really think off the top of my head too many VFL mids who came good and took the step at 25 but I'm sure there's some?

In 2021, the grand final was the only time the side conceded 100 points all season. The defensive setups are 90% of the issue. Jones can help given the level he’s played at previously, but looking at players deemed not good enough to hold down a spot in another backline would be a very strange strategy. I don’t think you’d see much difference at Melbourne if you swapped out Petty for Gardiner.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jeez. Magden & Tomlinson do not fill me with hope at all unless SEN is just throwing the names of average defenders about. People pushing 30 that are merely average defenders to begin with, at least pick a younger player that might still have some growth. Hell, go into the VFL and there are some decent options that could make it. I will bang on the Ethan Phillips drum yet again and also Nick Coughlan from Werribee.

Someone reported Gardiner doesn’t want to move.

He’s ready to sign at the Bulldogs but only if he gets a solid guarantee his name is spelled correctly 85%+ of the time. He’s all over those metrics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall seeing him play for Williamstown a few times. He did nothing to indicate that he was anything more than a solid player at VFL level.
He was impossible to tackle, just so strong but by god his kicking was bad.

Why don’t we draft someone better? There are options this year for third tall that can play round 1 and will be available late first round.
Agree. But if for whatever reason we didn’t land one of those I’d rather back in Buku (190cm) or even Bedendo (191cm) for a 3rd tall / interceptor rather than add Jack Madgen. I can only see the merits if they think the Tomlinson / Madgen types can play as 1st or 2nd talls.

Agree. But if for whatever reason we didn’t land one of those I’d rather back in Buku (190cm) or even Bedendo (191cm) for a 3rd tall / interceptor rather than add Jack Madgen. I can only see the merits if they think the Tomlinson / Madgen types can play as 1st or 2nd talls.

The uncomfortable question needs to be asked - is the premiership window still open? Will these recruits keep it open?

Our defence needs a big name rock solid general, not a couple of cleanskin 3rd talls. I think & hope our midfield and attack could still win us a premiership, but the backs are looking shoddy. We need a change in gamestyle and some genuine talent.

Bevo absolutely loading up to keep this party rolling rather than taking the refresh at the draft we need - this years gonna be one for the ages boys

Hunter is either getting on the turps, or hitting the gym really hard.

Will be cool to see how this one plays out!

Could be more hitting the Jim's...

In 2021, the grand final was the only time the side conceded 100 points all season. The defensive setups are 90% of the issue. Jones can help given the level he’s played at previously, but looking at players deemed not good enough to hold down a spot in another backline would be a very strange strategy. I don’t think you’d see much difference at Melbourne if you swapped out Petty for Gardiner.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree completely. 100%.

I've been a bit too lazy to post some stats, but for most of 2021 we were in (almost!) in 2016 territory when it came to defence and giving up scores.
We just didn't give up big leads.

The Brisbane prelim got closer than I expected, but in my mind we were never going to lose after Q1.

Obviously about 80 minutes of a GF were as good as 'expected' too.

This year we fell apart completely. Noticeably.

Injuries?
Duryea?
Higher press? (Although teams regularly got easy goals one through).

Would love to see some 'expected goal' numbers to see if anything changed...
...but something definitely felt off this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back