No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Ryan - The Age

That was something for Bassat and Lethlean to ponder. Former coach Ross Lyon was available. They did not need to get the Lyon on the line, but they would be able to determine his level of interest in the role without doing that. After all, finding someone who knows what Lyon is thinking is not hard at the Saints.

Perhaps he could take on the role for a limited time with the idea of handing the job over to someone in the football department being groomed for such a role. Someone like Lenny Hayes. Everyone loves Lenny.

Luke Beveridge has a year to run on his contract at the Western Bulldogs and the Saints powerbrokers have often hinted he’d be a person they would love to see in a Saints’ polo. Beveridge, however, is committed to the Bulldogs and is potentially extending beyond 2023. Nathan Buckley is heading to the US in February and is settled in the media. Leon Cameron has joined Sydney. Before extending Ratten, the Saints had been interested in Alastair Clarkson’s intentions. He has since joined North Melbourne.

Review was done a month ago
I'm tipping they've already spoken to Lyon to see where he stands, before Brett was sacked

Good business people don't not have a contingency
Peter Ryan implies someone at the club has.

Get it done Saints

28931eb7c7bd94c1cc8bda30d8f651a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t everything you said exactly how Lyon coached us previously? We hardly had young players back then that were up to standard. The only 2 were Steven whose groins were stuffed and armo who was given 12 games in his first year. If windhanger Milera owens etc are playing well and working hard he will play them.

It is not that simple plugger - expected more from you!

Difference is Lyon had talented teams (if you are equating my point re Roth and player buy in). Difference with the Jackjumpers is they are 2 years old and the talent will come on and I would expect the playing style to adjust. Yes Lyon had buy in but did not make use of the talent he had.

If we get player buy in, there will improvement. Do not believe Lyon has a current coaching style and used the talent of his teams.

Coach needs to improve the list and to steal a basketball term a good understanding of X and Os ie game day tactics etc. Improving the delivery forrward and help in the forward line would not be a consequence of appointing RL.

Not sure I would be happy with Lyon being our coach again it would be embracing mediocracy to prove a point of the need to be seen as hard.

Last edited:
You have info or it just makes too much sense and you are confident it happens?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
I have no info
I live in SA so according to some here I've got 5 heads and live with tumble weeds lol
All good, can't laugh at yourself dont laugh at others, and you all know I'm always up for a laugh

Anyway...
It seems all signs and indicators point to it Max

Posters saying he left the club burnt and in disarray is not quite right, the club or i should say certain people at the club didn't exactly do right by him so he protected himself amd his family...there's certainly more to all than what's out in the public.

Posters saying he cannot develop is untrue as well, but thats ok, they can think what they like.
For sure we have heard that a certain player or two wasnt happy with him, but you can't please everyone...impossible
What I don't hear is many multiples were unhappy and what I know is many many players absolutely loved him, his work ethic and how he brought the best out of players
Stav said one thing that resonates big time imo, he never had the support, the structure and the nous around him last time like he could have now.
The man we have at the helm is not an idiot, he knows what creates success and his blood is coloured red white and black.

We have unfinished business
It will be taken care of

I'm in

I'm tipping they've already spoken to Lyon to see where he stands, before Brett was sacked

I have it on decent authority we already have a new coach. The few around the club that know have done bloody good to keep it confidential.

Only speculating on who the new coach is but I reckon a few on here have nailed the names. Pyke was an interesting nomination. I’d have Pyke, RTB, Bevo, & Hird as the possibilities. Until Bucks ruled himself out I also would’ve had him in the frame. I very much doubt it’ll be an untried coach.

I have it on decent authority we already have a new coach. The few around the club that know have done bloody good to keep it confidential.

Only speculating on who the new coach is but I reckon a few on here have nailed the names. Pyke was an interesting nomination. I’d have Pyke, RTB, Bevo, & Hird as the possibilities. Until Bucks ruled himself out I also would’ve had him in the frame. I very much doubt it’ll be an untried coach.
Of your list I reckon only RTB and Pyke are possibles. Hoping it's RTB

It is not that simple plugger - expected more from you!

Difference is Lyon had talented teams (if you are equating my point re Roth and player buy in). Difference with the Jackjumpers is they are 2 years old and the talent will come on and I would expect the playing style to adjust. Yes Lyon had buy in but did not make use of the talent he had.

If we get player buy in, there will improvement. Do not believe Lyon has a current coaching style and used the talent of his teams.

Coach needs to improve the list and to steal a basketball term a good understanding of X and Os ie game day tactics etc.

Not sure I would be happy with Lyon being our coach again it would be embracing mediocracy to prove a point of the need to be seen as hard.
Lyon improved the list last time by having a great system as well as some great players. Remember we finished 8th in thomas last year. We weren’t going up the ladder we were going down. After one year of learning Lyons system we then went inches from winning 2 grand finals. I’m not worried about how defensive he was previously. He is a very smart footy person and he would have seen the game is now more attacking. He is smart enough to adjust. I know you used the basketball example but one is a 5 player sport the other is an 18 game sport. I’m not sure that’s the perfect example. Also they look like they may have the second year blues. I don’t agree Lyon didn’t use the talent he had. Unfortunately our depth was terrible and that wasn’t Lyons fault. That was the list manager stuffing up our salary cap so we were stuck with recruiting hacks and our drafting was nearly pathetic. Again not Lyons fault.

I would imagine they started sounding out candidates.
They would have a list I reckon. It won't be a formal process but more an informal one.

We aren't sacking people without having an idea on who is next

I used to really not like Buckley, as a player, then as a coach - the FIGJAM arrogance stuff was real but I actually think
he's changed and chilled out a lot from that. He's a smart dude who knows and loves the game. I would be OK with him.
He's also still a ruthless campaigner which is what we need.
I found the same thing. He’s okay in the media now. One of the better ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon improved the list last time by having a great system as well as some great players. Remember we finished 8th in thomas last year. We weren’t going up the ladder we were going down. After one year of learning Lyons system we then went inches from winning 2 grand finals. I’m not worried about how defensive he was previously. He is a very smart footy person and he would have seen the game is now more attacking. He is smart enough to adjust. I know you used the basketball example but one is a 5 player sport the other is an 18 game sport. I’m not sure that’s the perfect example. Also they look like they may have the second year blues. I don’t agree Lyon didn’t use the talent he had. Unfortunately our depth was terrible and that wasn’t Lyons fault. That was the list manager stuffing up our salary cap so we were stuck with recruiting hacks and our drafting was nearly pathetic. Again not Lyons fault.
How did he go at Freo- they were runners up also.

I would imagine they started sounding out candidates.
They would have a list I reckon. It won't be a formal process but more an informal one.

We aren't sacking people without having an idea on who is next
Apparently we already have a new coach but they are keeping it tight lipped. Any supposed process will be for optics.

Apparently we already have a new coach but they are keeping it tight lipped. Any supposed process will be for optics.
The fact its staying tight lipped says how well run the joint is.

Bad footy clubs tend to leak like a sieve

But the process is talking to him.

You don’t need to interview him against career assistants.

That’s embarrassing.

Have the conversation and put him infront of the board and our key football stakeholders.

If it’s a yes. If the fire is there.

Get it done and let him get to work.
I don’t agree on that at all.

If you only speak to one person and Ross is half in it’s pretty easy for him to say what we want to hear.

Test him.

It makes no sense at all to say we have to ruthless and set standards but then abandon them to bring in someone that has zero recent proven history.

If Ross is this competitive beast you despearately want him to be then I’m sure he has no issue with beating out a couple of fresh faced assistants to earn the job.

Ultimately you and I are completely misaligned on what this process should be. I’m never going to agree with what you’re saying and you’re onbivously not going to agree with what I’m saying so probably best to just move on.

I don’t agree on that at all.

If you only speak to one person and Ross is half in it’s pretty easy for him to say what we want to hear.

Test him.

It makes no sense at all to say we have to ruthless and set standards but then abandon them to bring in someone that has zero recent proven history.

If Ross is this competitive beast you despearately want him to be then I’m sure he has no issue with beating out a couple of fresh faced assistants to earn the job.

Ultimately you and I are completely misaligned on what this process should be. I’m never going to agree with what you’re saying and you’re onbivously not going to agree with what I’m saying so probably best to just move on.
Ultimately I think you’ll be disappointed in what our process is.

He has not changed while at Freemantle, talented lists especially early on. No results.

Personally enjoyed winning with games scoring 52-48 as it was still winning, the game has adapted and teams have worked out a lot of the stuff that Lyon set up.

Yep pay him a fair bit (his ego needs that) as a mentor for Enright or someone else but I do not think he is the messiah or the answer.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back