No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see if Roo and Joey come back to the club in some capacity.

From what has been said - We are starting to see the old guard come back the Dal and now Lenny.

Seems there was a bit of a drift/gap with that 09/10 team and the association with the club. Roo has mentioned it a few times on the couch that he really doesn't have much to do with them and they have never really reached out as well.

I think they will all be fine. Footy players can adapt. They are also mentally tough. I doubt we lose anyone because of his hard approach. We really didn’t last time so I think it would be similar.

No matter who does get the gig, it’s going to be exciting to see how players who haven’t had much opportunity come on with a new coach.

I’m looking at you Jack Bytel.

It’ll also be fascinating to see it talented blokes who have never reached their potential, can make the most of a fresh start.

Jack Billings… a massive preseason awaits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s fair, fwiw all the things you want I also want.

I’m only pointing out that you don’t know that’s what Ross is now, nobody does.

Run a process and if he’s still the guy you think he is and he best fits then roll out the welcome mat but don’t just hand him the keys without some due diligence only to find out he’s actually got half a foot in the retirement home and all the vigour and fire is gone.

It sounds as though it's a done deal. Multiple sources are saying he's locked in. I think we probably just have to accept that we targeted him and didn't go through a process. My preference would have been a younger coach and mentor but perhaps that's what we will do with Lenny but have Ross as more of a front man so that Lenny can learn without pressure to do the full role.

I've been having a think about Ross Lyon and his coaching and I'm not as worried as some about his coaching style not stacking up. I think a lot of the way modern footy is played was pioneered by him. The Melbourne set up that works so well was pure Lyon. Sam Fisher as the Lever type, Zac as the May type. Blake their Petty etc. Isolate and intercept was his thing, even peeling back numbers to criss cross the grid. When they stopped Fisher we started to drop McEvoy in the hole.

I keep looking at sides like Essendon and Carlton and thinking that they really need a Lyon to come in and just set up some systems and player engagement stuff. Why not bring him in to do that to us? We really struggled with player consistency and the transitions and forward structure were embarrassing at times this year. I think he'll have us playing better footy regardless. The only issue is that plenty around us have substantially improved their lists and a few behind us should lift on natural progression.

Lyon culled a lot of players when he arrived and we went backwards for a year but when he reloaded he had a crew that were flint hard and focussed. He's a good coach and like Clarko at the Hawks they want to keep adding pieces even after the list has run it's race and he's not a guy you bring in to start at the bottom. We are not that any more. We should be heading up the ladder and have enough talent on the list to play finals. With improvement in buy in and structure who knows what they could do.

It is not that simple plugger - expected more from you!

Difference is Lyon had talented teams (if you are equating my point re Roth and player buy in). Difference with the Jackjumpers is they are 2 years old and the talent will come on and I would expect the playing style to adjust. Yes Lyon had buy in but did not make use of the talent he had.

If we get player buy in, there will improvement. Do not believe Lyon has a current coaching style and used the talent of his teams.

Coach needs to improve the list and to steal a basketball term a good understanding of X and Os ie game day tactics etc. Improving the delivery forrward and help in the forward line would not be a consequence of appointing RL.

Not sure I would be happy with Lyon being our coach again it would be embracing mediocracy to prove a point of the need to be seen as hard.

We’ve been embracing mediocrity since Nettlefool thought he’d play funny buggers with the best coach we’ve had since Yabby.

Of your list I reckon only RTB and Pyke are possibles. Hoping it's RTB

There’s people in power at the Dogs who would happily move Bevo on.

He’s not out of the frame (IMO of course)

Pyke? Meh.
Hird? Vomit.

Its Ross or Bevo unless we go with Leppa (my #2 preference) or a rookie assistant.

It sounds as though it's a done deal. Multiple sources are saying he's locked in. I think we probably just have to accept that we targeted him and didn't go through a process. My preference would have been a younger coach and mentor but perhaps that's what we will do with Lenny but have Ross as more of a front man so that Lenny can learn without pressure to do the full role.

I've been having a think about Ross Lyon and his coaching and I'm not as worried as some about his coaching style not stacking up. I think a lot of the way modern footy is played was pioneered by him. The Melbourne set up that works so well was pure Lyon. Sam Fisher as the Lever type, Zac as the May type. Blake their Petty etc. Isolate and intercept was his thing, even peeling back numbers to criss cross the grid. When they stopped Fisher we started to drop McEvoy in the hole.

I keep looking at sides like Essendon and Carlton and thinking that they really need a Lyon to come in and just set up some systems and player engagement stuff. Why not bring him in to do that to us? We really struggled with player consistency and the transitions and forward structure were embarrassing at times this year. I think he'll have us playing better footy regardless. The only issue is that plenty around us have substantially improved their lists and a few behind us should lift on natural progression.

Lyon culled a lot of players when he arrived and we went backwards for a year but when he reloaded he had a crew that were flint hard and focussed. He's a good coach and like Clarko at the Hawks they want to keep adding pieces even after the list has run it's race and he's not a guy you bring in to start at the bottom. We are not that any more. We should be heading up the ladder and have enough talent on the list to play finals. With improvement in buy in and structure who knows what they could do.
You can still target someone and go through a process. I’d say it’s nearly 100% certain we went through a process.

There’s people in power at the Dogs who would happily move Bevo on.

He’s not out of the frame (IMO of course)

Pyke? Meh.
Hird? Vomit.

Its Ross or Bevo unless we go with Leppa (my #2 preference) or a rookie assistant.

Nothing wrong with Pyke as a possibility. Still in the system, got Adelaide to a GF, got a pretty good win/loss record.

Hope he is invited to present his case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing about RTB is he gets players to level up. Pav & Fyfe were very good players but under RTB became Freo generational players. He also got a lot out of Hill. Same could be said for a number of players when he was at the Saints. He does well to play a game plan around the strengths of the teams’ stars. I reckon Steele & King would level up considerably under RTB. Same with Gresh.

No matter who does get the gig, it’s going to be exciting to see how players who haven’t had much opportunity come on with a new coach.

I’m looking at you Jack Bytel.

It’ll also be fascinating to see it talented blokes who have never reached their potential, can make the most of a fresh start.

Jack Billings… a massive preseason awaits.

I'd love the right person to get hold of Billings.

I believe him not reaching his potential is between his ears. Needs to back himself.

Lyon admitted the other day on FC (I think it was) that he made mistakes in his first year at the Saint and then corrected them - bearing in mind it was his first head coach role at AFL level.

I've got no idea what kind of coach Lenny is, but Lenny and Ross have a working relationship beyond being mates too and I think that helps with the new regime.

I think the biggest reason why I'm onboard with Ross coming back is I don't think we can afford to chance our hand with a new coach in the given climate. He's a desired coach, maybe only slightly less than Clarko and I think he has unfinished business here too - and that means it's more than a pay cheque.

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not worried about RTB updating his game plan, if you hear him reviewing games and team's style of plays, he still has his finger on the pulse!

More than that he's a draw card to players, to prospective coaches and brings immediate respectability.

If nothing else, our team needs structure and a game plan. RTB is the structure King, absolutely a fit.

Not sure about this bit. Separation of duties might mean the coach is responsible for motivation and culture and standards and man management. While Rath or similar might be responsible for strategy and gameplan and style etc.

If that’s the case then RTB could definitely do it.
Very much this. Given that RTB has publicly stated that to return to coaching he would insist on a highly competent forward line coach being part of the arrangement, it's fair to say that he sees the job as being overall management, implementing standards, and having assistants across the individual facets of a game plan. It's not like he isn't still involved in AFL, he is doing analysis and commentary in the media for Christ's sake!!

The other upside for the club in this is all the goodwill in the media we would get, especially from ex-players that are currently happy to pot us.

Ultimately guys. I couldn’t care about the X & O’s

I want him because he sets standards.

Because there is accountability.

Because I go to the footy now and I walk away questioning why do they not care or why do they look unprepared.

Because I’m sick of looking at other clubs and watching the stars roll off the conveyor belt or the lack of respect we get when we finally get one.

I researched so many articles on Ross last night. To a person they all raved. Freo boys saint boys.

He had the job at Carlton FYI. Sayers promised him the role. The board chickened out.

It wasn’t about a “process”.

Ultimately I know what im going to get with Ross. That’s what I need right now.

Maybe some newbie is better. Good chance they are worse. But ultimately the time it will take is what has turned me off this path.

We, need to know what this list is. Because if it’s s**t. Then rebuild at the earliest convenience.

But you can only do that when there are not other questions. A poor season and a new coach is another question.

A poor season under Ross still means a clear direct answer and approach.

I know we will lose some players along the way. But those that go on his journey become good footballers.

That’s what I ultimately want. Good players playing for an even better stkilda.
It’s not about the current list or players for next year. It’s about raising standards across the whole footy department and not worrying about being nice. This foundation will see change 2024 and beyond.

2023 will flush the marshmallows, 2024 will attract and maintain those with uncompromising high standards.

It’s Ross time

Nothing wrong with Pyke as a possibility. Still in the system, got Adelaide to a GF, got a pretty good win/loss record.

Hope he is invited to present his case.
I’d be okay with Pyke.

But it is still Ross and then daylight between applicants for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back