No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And all the old weird sook fans that congregate on facey that don't want Ross won't be there. Making it much more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
There's quite a divide between the facebook saints crew and the bigfooty saints crew. Why is that?

As bad as the Andrew Lovett incident was, and it was very bad, in the media it was Sam Gilbert's laptop, the school girl and the nude photo's of the players that annihilated our success at the time.
that and Milne was the cause of the bubble.

yes, lets not forget Ross lyon's plan an how we all hated it. remember the Sydney game? or how about how many points instead of goals we got in the grannys', kick to it Roo. etc or how about the trades, ? or the draft picks?

suddenly everyone has developed rose coloured glasses.
The Sydney game? Daniel Wolf missing? Dal's barrel after the siren to win... yeah that was under GT.

I do remember an absolute cracker in Sydney at the end of 09... Joey kicked a point with a few seconds to go to win it. Ross was in charge that night.

Trades? I remember Lovett. Who would have been perfect for us if he hadn't been a total cretin. I do remember Gardy though... what a trade that was!

Draft picks? I do remember some shockers called out by John Peake. Don't remember Ross calling any names out.

Rose coloured glasses? Maybe.

Better than...

Glasses Seinfeld GIF

I' am the same. if he gets the job. (with no process, which is what he wanted). hope like hell there is criteria and set goals. kick more goals than points? ensure its not kick it max?

anyway, i might have to get rid of my dislike for him. i will wait and see.
Sammm, hopefully we’re all going to be thrilled with this appointment - even if you are clearly not persuaded yet.

Richo and Ratts were taking us nowhere.

Let’s chill, sit back and enjoy the ride. Could be the most exciting time we’ve had for ten years….let’s not forget Ross was one of the few coaches who actually gave us a successful era. And he obviously thinks we’ve got a team worth coaching.

I‘m pumped. And if it all goes belly up in a few years time, well at least we tried something rather than continuing on a ride to nowhere with the vanilla twins.

Last edited:
I think you have developed revisionism. For all the supposed 'defensive' structure of Lyon we constantly kicked 15 goals plus a game. It was 'frontal pressure' that turned the ball over in the front half with the likes of Milne and Scnieds got to work.

Kick it to Roo :rolleyes:. Absolutely clueless. have a chat with bj one day and ask him why they went to Roo so often. Actually don't bother, I will tell you. Goddard said that with the split second you had the ball, and looked up Roo would ALWAYS be on a lead and presenting, ALWAYS. You see Riewoldt is one of the greatest ever footballers in AFL history. His leading, his tank, his arc running was elite. he would blow up defenders, and he would just run run run, so when you blithely say it was 'kick it to Roo' you have little idea what you are on about.

Points instead of goals in a Grand Final, not sure if your are seriously suggesting it is the coaches fault that Schnieder misses running into an open goal, or it is his fault they bottled it in front of goal, that is purely on the players.

Might want to have a little think about your posts before you make a dill of yourself.. Oh and my rose coloured glasses was going to the football week in week out knowing we would win, knowing we would make finals, you must really have enjoyed the mediocrity of the last decade.
I understand why many are nervous about RTB returning. I hated him in the end. We were unwatchable. Some of that was because the players seemed to be suffering from PTSD and just couldn't pony up again. It was a pretty shattering time when we realised that was our chance and we blew it and to cap it off RTB pissed off to Freo leaving us a mess. Of course it has come out that it was another mess of our own making in the end courtesy of Nettlefold and whoever else. Then Pelchen and the joint was ******* central.
All we can do is hope that this time we have the right people in charge. Lethlean is the one I worry about. Plus our recruiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes, lets not forget Ross lyon's plan an how we all hated it. remember the Sydney game? or how about how many points instead of goals we got in the grannys', kick to it Roo. etc or how about the trades, ? or the draft picks?

suddenly everyone has developed rose coloured glasses.
I haven’t forgotten that there’s still question marks about whether a Ross Lyon team will kick enough goals to win a flag but it’s literally the only question mark about him as a coach. Rooey said it himself he creates an elite environment and we haven’t had that since he left. Just have to hope that one day he has some sort of Chris Scott-like epiphany where he realizes you need to be able to score heavily to win a flag.

I reckon there is 0% chance that he will be wearing the hipster cap that Richo and Ratten used to wear all the time too.

Massive cringe factor that was, if you are too old for that fashion don't even try.

Hipster? Ross?

Nah, everyone knows he’s rock & roll through & through

bRZQw92.jpg

From Twitter, but behind a paywall.

According to the Herald Sun RTB is still undecided as to whether he will take the job.:oops:

Even though Lyon didn’t say much when he was out the front of Bassets house. That was the body language of a man who is pretty excited. As reported by the media. 11 hours of conversation is a lot of talking to have if you were still undecided. Even more so if you knew you had tens of thousands of people (staff, players and supporters) who have a connection/romance of you returning to the club. Maybe we will be left with egg on our face. Geez that would be pretty funny, and we would absolutely cop it on here from oppo posters.

Even though Lyon didn’t say much when he was out the front of Bassets house. That was the body language of a man who is pretty excited. As reported by the media. 11 hours of conversation is a lot of talking to have if you were still undecided. Even more so if you knew you had tens of thousands of people (staff, players and supporters) who have a connection/romance of you returning to the club. Maybe we will be left with egg on our face. Geez that would be pretty funny, and we would absolutely cop it on here from oppo posters.
I hear he is being paid big money to consult about choosing the next coach

RTB as coach, Round 1 at Marvel... it will be packed with frothing Saints supporters.

Bring it!!!

I'd LOVE the AFL to give us a rematch against the Pies for Round 1.

Ross has been one of the best coaches in the last 15 years. Forget the fact he’s a former coach of us and every football pundit in Australia would be lauding the move.
This is a huge get.
still couldn't win a grand final

yes, he hadn't his style much at all in the many years he coached. dour defensive.

at Freo he should have changed. 4-5 grand finals and couldn't win one.
Sammm - you rebel!!

His sides kick straight and he wins 2.

Bounce of a ball he wins 3.

Not sure you can blame the bloke for any of those losses.

But carry on. Hopefully it helps you deal with these things better by blaming Ross.

At a very simplistic level that may be true but it also conveniently avoids the fundamental flaw of Lyons game plan strategy.

To do a Damien Barrett Sliding Doors

IF your primary focus is defence THEN everything must go right in attack for you to succeed.

His game plan was incredibly successful defensively, but we were also the lowest scoring of the top the top sides in 2009 and 2010 as was Fremantle in 2013.

And guess what, the lowest scoring top team in each of those years went on to lose the Grand final.

Last edited:
Sammm - you rebel!!

At a very simplistic level that may be true but it also conveniently avoids the fundamental flaw of Lyons game plan strategy.

IF your primary focus is defence THEN everything must go right in attack for you to succeed.

His game plan was incredibly successful defensively, but we were also the lowest scoring of the top the top sides in 2009 and 2010 as was Fremantle in 2013.
thank you pebblesofsand , that is what i meant, and you wrote it much better.

Imagine Ross' post match member videos.

"G'day Saints fans.

If you didn't like that you can **** right off.

See you next week. Or not. I couldn't give a rats arse".

Every. Single. Week.

Whatley has never rated us. He loves giving us a kick, he's a snarky little egotist. He's the most overrated commentator and caller in sport. Got stuck at the ABC because he wasn't very good and then was there so long the commercial networks assumed he had credibility. Now he thinks he's Dennis Commetti.
If he was half as smart as he thinks he is he’d have made it in the real world.

Sammm - you rebel!!

It is a point but a dumb point.

2009 7.7 to 7.1 at halftime. We kick 10.4 instead of missing multiples from in front we win. It was not pure defensive FFS.

2010 Collingwood was easily the best team, 4 goals down at halftime, I though it would be an 8 goal win. Defense and positional changes got us in front with five minutes to go.
Incredibly stupid to think it was all based on defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back