No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatley has never rated us. He loves giving us a kick, he's a snarky little egotist. He's the most overrated commentator and caller in sport. Got stuck at the ABC because he wasn't very good and then was there so long the commercial networks assumed he had credibility. Now he thinks he's Dennis Commetti.
I rate him very highly. His morning show on SEN is probably as good as any sports radio show.

I don't think he gets stuck into us any more than any other commentator.

And while it might feel like It, the fact is we haven't been relative for 10 years and we just sacked our coach 90 days after signing him for 2 years.

If anyone is suggesting we are in a great place they aren't being honest.

Imagine Ross' post match member videos.

"G'day Saints fans.

If you didn't like that you can * right off.

See you next week. Or not. I couldn't give a rats arse".

Every. Single. Week.

G'day Saints fans,

That's four points, we will bank it and move on to next week.

Now piss off and don't waste my time.

OR

G'day Saints fans,

There will be a few players who will be playing at Trevor Barker Oval next week.

I‘m pumped. And if it all goes belly up in a few years time, we’ll at least we tried something rather than continuing on a ride to nowhere with the vanilla twins.

I think this is actually something that we need to discuss further.

From the way the board were speaking, the issues identified under Ratts/Richo etc, the idea that St Kilda has become 'irrelevant'...

I don't believe Ross Lyon coming in as coach is being done with the sole purpose of winning a flag in the next 3-5 years. Yes, we would be putting that on the agenda but this move is being made with the next 10, 20, 50+ years in mind.

How do the St Kilda Football club raise themselves from being the 9th or 10th ranked Vic Club up to competing with the likes of Hawthorn and Melbourne? Why couldn't we have 80k+ members? Why should we settle for making up the numbers? Why is it ok for us to be there abouts? To be a 'B+' player?

The club would be expecting Ross Lyon to come in and be our Chris Scott. Our John Longmire. Even our Ken Hinkley.
All you can do is keep putting yourself in contention year on year. No more bottom out rebuilds. No more yo-yos.

Will we have bad years? Yep. Form will fluctuate and the game will evolve. We will need to be ready to drop blokes, shift positions and styles etc.

We can only do that if everyone is held to an absolute standard. A 'Trademark' if you will.

It's a huge shift in thinking. We need to stop focussing on the week to week, month to month stuff and adjust to thinking about long term sustainable success.

No more going all in on ******* Shiba crypto hoping to hit one big winner.

Time to get into the market long term and reap the rewards of proper investment.

Sammm - you rebel!!

At a very simplistic level that may be true but it also conveniently avoids the fundamental flaw of Lyons game plan strategy.

To do a Damien Barrett Sliding Doors

IF your primary focus is defence THEN everything must go right in attack for you to succeed.

His game plan was incredibly successful defensively, but we were also the lowest scoring of the top the top sides in 2009 and 2010 as was Fremantle in 2013.

thank you pebblesofsand , that is what i meant, and you wrote it much better.
So this is our focus now?

You lose the argument about how his sides perform on GF day, so now holistically it is that his sides don’t perform as well offensively as the other top sides.

Ignoring how strongly his sides perform defensively.

His attacks have gotten him to the big dance 3 times. Roughly 5 Prelims and 2 times his side has finished the H&A season at the top of the tree.

He legitimately has high performing sides.

G'day Saints fans,

That's four points, we will bank it and move on to next week.

OR

G'day Saints fans,

There will be a few players who will be playing at Trevor Barker Oval next week.

G'day Saints Fans.

You don't like the way we win?

You're quite brilliant Saints fans

Sammm - you rebel!!

At a very simplistic level that may be true but it also conveniently avoids the fundamental flaw of Lyons game plan strategy.

IF your primary focus is defence THEN everything must go right in attack for you to succeed.

His game plan was incredibly successful defensively, but we were also the lowest scoring of the top the top sides in 2009 and 2010 as was Fremantle in 2013.

And guess what, the lowest scoring top team in each of those years went on to lose the Grand final.

Footy is a simple game. Get the basics right, stick to the game plan and give consistency of effort and more often then not, you come out in front.

The Sydney game? Daniel Wolf missing? Dal's barrel after the siren to win... yeah that was under GT.

I do remember an absolute cracker in Sydney at the end of 09... Joey kicked a point with a few seconds to go to win it. Ross was in charge that night.

Trades? I remember Lovett. Who would have been perfect for us if he hadn't been a total cretin. I do remember Gardy though... what a trade that was!

Draft picks? I do remember some shockers called out by John Peake. Don't remember Ross calling any names out.

Rose coloured glasses? Maybe.

Better than...

Glasses Seinfeld GIF
I’ve got Ross coloured glasses

Sammm - you rebel!!

And guess what, the lowest scoring top team in each of those years went on to lose the Grand final.
We scored the third highest amount of points in 2009. Decent percentage as well.

Different story in 2010 when our offence did suffer.

Collingwood22171423491658141.68%70
2Geelong22170525181702147.94%68
3St Kilda22151619351591121.62%62
4Wstn Bulldogs22140821741734125.37%56

1St Kilda22200221971411155.71%80
2Geelong22180423121815127.38%72
3Wstn Bulldogs22150723781940122.58%60
4Collingwood22150721741778122.27%60

I think this is actually something that we need to discuss further.

From the way the board were speaking, the issues identified under Ratts/Richo etc, the idea that St Kilda has become 'irrelevant'...

I don't believe Ross Lyon coming in as coach is being done with the sole purpose of winning a flag in the next 3-5 years. Yes, we would be putting that on the agenda but this move is being made with the next 10, 20, 50+ years in mind.

How do the St Kilda Football club raise themselves from being the 9th or 10th ranked Vic Club up to competing with the likes of Hawthorn and Melbourne? Why couldn't we have 80k+ members? Why should we settle for making up the numbers? Why is it ok for us to be there abouts? To be a 'B+' player?

The club would be expecting Ross Lyon to come in and be our Chris Scott. Our John Longmire. Even our Ken Hinkley.
All you can do is keep putting yourself in contention year on year. No more bottom out rebuilds. No more yo-yos.

Will we have bad years? Yep. Form will fluctuate and the game will evolve. We will need to be ready to drop blokes, shift positions and styles etc.

We can only do that if everyone is held to an absolute standard. A 'Trademark' if you will.

It's a huge shift in thinking. We need to stop focussing on the week to week, month to month stuff and adjust to thinking about long term sustainable success.

No more going all in on ******* Shiba crypto hoping to hit one big winner.

Time to get into the market long term and reap the rewards of proper investment.
I think If you don’t have the expectation he will win us a flag.

But have the expectation that everything we do from here onwards is with the aim of being elite.

It takes away the “failure” stigma.

He might not be our next premiership coach …. And that’s okay.

But the place needs to be ready so that if he isn’t. The next bloke will be.

We scored the third highest amount of points in 2009. Decent percentage as well.

Different story in 2010 when our offence did suffer.

Collingwood22171423491658141.68%70
2Geelong22170525181702147.94%68
3St Kilda22151619351591121.62%62
4Wstn Bulldogs22140821741734125.37%56

1St Kilda22200221971411155.71%80
2Geelong22180423121815127.38%72
3Wstn Bulldogs22150723781940122.58%60
4Collingwood22150721741778122.27%60

Take out prime nick and you would expect it to suffer.

He kicked 11 goals and had 40 odd touches in the first 2 weeks.

The history around Lyons defensive style has become almost mythical as time has passed.
However one thing I personally always appreciated about the way we played in the Lyon years was because we were so good defensively we were never out of games when things weren't going well for us on the offensive end.
If a team had the upper hand for any period of the game the damage would be minimal. We won many games off the back of that through 2010 especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty amazing to see the difference of opinions from Facebook and bigfooty supporters.

If you were to only read social media you would think that the majority would despise Lyon coming back to coach which couldn't be further from the truth.

who was the the list manager . was it Lyon? becuase i don't want to go down that train again.

It was drafting post John Peake that really stuffed us. Trout was an assistant coach who stood out when he had some issues and the club found a role for him. If you give Peake: Stuv, Stanley, Lynch, Cripps etc. For the couple of years that he was there he was quite productive but post that we have had a very lean patch where the best recruits under Trout were Ross, Sinclair and Marshall off the rookie list and Billings.

Zero AAs, zero superstars from a much higher suite of picks and then throw in a few self inflicted wounds under Pelican and we really cooked the list. We didn't spend on development or footy department so even the players we did get were pretty much left to develop themselves and the rest is history.

Gags and Lethers haven't been great but in comparison they looks like masters of list building.

Take out prime nick and you would expect it to suffer.

He kicked 11 goals and had 40 odd touches in the first 2 weeks.
I don’t doubt that at all. But I do think we went too negative in 2010. Granted we were never really out of matches.

But Ross will know this and have adapted his plans. Am I still a bit nervous that we will adopt the “get to 60 points and dig in” game plan? Yes I am. But I am more excited that if RTB signs on that we will lift our standards across the board, have a game plan, have defined roles, have a forward line that leads, and have more hope at improvement.

So overall I am on board. I would not have been in 2012…

I was astounded by Noble and his input into this. Came out of the review did lots of media during trade week and gave us nothing.. not even a sniff. We all had no idea what was to come... really interesting bloke, he could be an asset to a football club in the right position.

-

He's a gun behind the scenes, just wasn't ideal as a senior coach at a struggling side. I think wanting high standards is never a bad thing but with a team of soft kids you probably have to rely on relationship building more than trying to do too much too soon. Brisbane were put back together by him.

Whatley has never rated us. He loves giving us a kick, he's a snarky little egotist. He's the most overrated commentator and caller in sport. Got stuck at the ABC because he wasn't very good and then was there so long the commercial networks assumed he had credibility. Now he thinks he's Dennis Commetti.

I listened to his call of the 2009 Grand Final on the ABC. He sounded like a Geelong supporter calling the last quarter.

Ross thought we could mend him. we couldn't waste of another pick

I think we screwed him actually and not because we thought he'd play again. Poor kid had a smashed hip joint and had a hip replacement at 25. We ignored him and left him out in the cold. Pretty shameful from the club long after Lyon was out of there.

09-10 were the happiest saints supporting years of my life.
I for one welcome the return of the supreme leader.

They were indeed great. Mine was 97. What a fantastic season that was. Got to almost every single game.

First half of 2004.

Especially the Carlton and WCE games back to back.

What a time to be a s**t talking teenager haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back