Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he's only rated as elite in 2022 (for small forwards w/o a midfield rotation, as aflstatpro seemingly has a 2nd position seeing how it seems to have some sorting with bands) at contested disposals, contested possession rate, ground ball gets (including the league leader of F50 ground ball gets), and stoppage clearances.

There is nothing in Rankines profile that indicates a lack of contested game.
Rankine has always been a superb contested ball winner

Very crafty at stoppages , ground balls and even contested marks

I don’t think that’s his problem

His gap between best and worst prob is and his kicking off course
It's definitely a problem - because of his lack of general mobility and poor foot skills, the pack marking and general aerial presence needs to be a prominent feature of his game. It was in 2020 (averaged more marks in a year with less game-time than in the past two seasons), but was just okay in '21 and dropped to just 2.6 marks a game in '22

But yeah, the inconsistency is far from ideal, too, marking included. If he's not a contested and uncontested aerial threat week-to-week, he's not going to be that useful

it's because rankine is a mid being played forward until now

I hope so but I'll believe it when I see it.

GC had an elite mid on their hands but choose to never unleash him? Seems odd but I guess we are talking GC.

Carlton had similar ambitions for Zac Williams and we know how that panned out...

GC had an elite mid on their hands but choose to never unleash him? Seems odd but I guess we are talking GC.

Carlton had similar ambitions for Zac Williams and we know how that panned out...
watch the highlights of his underage games the concerns will dissipate somewhat

of course there is some risk at this level because his evasion made his opponents look pathetic which maybe deceiving at afl level but we see

Rankines lack of contested game will make it hard for him to ever be a true midfielder.
Rachele has the lower body strength to become an Ablett styled midfielder.

Tell me you've never watched Izak Rankine play football without telling me you've never watched Izak Rankine play football.

watch the highlights of his underage games the concerns will dissipate somewhat

of course there is some risk at this level because his evasion made his opponents look pathetic which maybe deceiving at afl level but we see

Oh so GC never watched his underage games before selecting him at pick 3? Didn't know his true potential

They’re both pretty ordinary but ROB is a little bit better , it’s annoying there is a gap from his best and worst though

The more Strachan doesn’t play the higher he gets rated on bigfooty , he was given a chance last year and didn’t nail it . His game against the saints was very ordinary and ROB played a far better game in sanfl than strachan played all year then was recalled and repeated it at AFL level , had some poor games too for sure compared to his good ones , I’m not a big fan

But ROB’s stats compare better to other rucks than what I give him credit for

So do matt crouch's. Stats aren't everything.

It really grinds My gears that ROB has to get dropped to get a rocket up his arse to perform. He should be booted from the leadership group, doesn’t set the right expectations for the playing group.

grinds my gears that we finally drop him, it yields immediate results and then we just let him revert to form and refuse to challenge him again. Dropping comfortable players works.

grinds my gears that we finally drop him, it yields immediate results and then we just let him revert to form and refuse to challenge him again. Dropping comfortable players works.
that big contract probably makes him comfortable to coast. I know we were terrified of losing players post Danger departing, but it has really hamstrung us (Jenkins, Crouch, Sloane, Rob, etc).

While not the centre square Rankine had a couple of his best games on the wing including the day he got coaches votes in the win against grand final side sydney at the SCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's definitely a problem - because of his lack of general mobility and poor foot skills, the pack marking and general aerial presence needs to be a prominent feature of his game. It was in 2020 (averaged more marks in a year with less game-time than in the past two seasons), but was just okay in '21 and dropped to just 2.6 marks a game in '22

But yeah, the inconsistency is far from ideal, too, marking included. If he's not a contested and uncontested aerial threat week-to-week, he's not going to be that useful
Agree he needs to bring it as the other parts of his game you mention aren’t much chop

Tell me you've never watched Izak Rankine play football without telling me you've never watched Izak Rankine play football.
Averaged one clearance per game in 2022.

Tell me you didn't watch Izak Rankine play football in 2022 without telling me you didn't watch Izak Rankine in 2022.

I am making a fair point about a player that has yet to show anything like a midfielder at AFL level, and that there is a huge difference between underage footy and the top level.
Most of his best work in his draft year was ahead of the ball, funnily enough where he has exclusively played since being drafted.

Rude.

Averaged one clearance per game in 2022.

Tell me you didn't watch Izak Rankine play football in 2022 without telling me you didn't watch Izak Rankine in 2022.

I am making a fair point about a player that has yet to show anything like a midfielder at AFL level, and that there is a huge difference between underage footy and the top level.
Most of his best work in his draft year was ahead of the ball, funnily enough where he has exclusively played since being drafted.

Rude.

Hang on, you said he struggles with the contested part of the game, not the clearances.

Someone provided data to counter your claim indicating that his contested game is elite for small forwards.

He has only just got his body right and no doubt GC had him pegged as moving to the midfield, however they have been blessed with multiple high draft picks that are mostly mids.

His draft year saw him dominate in the midfield for SA, when he spent time in there.

He is not a contested beast but will win his fair chunk of clearances at stoppages, as a mid, when given a chance.

He is our Shai Bolton. I won't say he will be better but won't be far off.

Top 5 will be looked back as a bargain, provided he stays fit.

Hang on, you said he struggles with the contested part of the game, not the clearances.

Someone provided data to counter your claim indicating that his contested game is elite for small forwards.

He has only just got his body right and no doubt GC had him pegged as moving to the midfield, however they have been blessed with multiple high draft picks that are mostly mids.

His draft year saw him dominate in the midfield for SA, when he spent time in there.

He is not a contested beast but will win his fair chunk of clearances at stoppages, as a mid, when given a chance.

He is our Shai Bolton. I won't say he will be better but won't be far off.

Top 5 will be looked back as a bargain, provided he stays fit.
I was very clearly inferring as a midfielder, midfield contested work which by its nature results in clearances.

Your misinterpretation led to you being rude.

I was very clearly inferring as a midfielder, midfield contested work which by its nature results in clearances.

Your misinterpretation led to you being rude.

No. You said:

Rankines lack of contested game will make it hard for him to ever be a true midfielder.

That would infer that he the contested part of his game is poor, no?

However, his small sample size of AFL footy would indicate he is rated as elite for contested possessions, all be it in the F50. His clearance work is exceptional in F50, so not sure how you can surmise that this won't, or cannot, transfer to an AFL level midfielder.

Anywho, I was very clearly engaging in banter, apologies you can't take it, nor admit when you are wrong.

No. You said:

That would infer that he the contested part of his game is poor, no?

However, his small sample size of AFL footy would indicate he is rated as elite for contested possessions, all be it in the F50. His clearance work is exceptional in F50, so not sure how you can surmise that this won't, or cannot, transfer to an AFL level midfielder.

Anywho, I was very clearly engaging in banter, apologies you can't take it, nor admit when you are wrong.
Just admit you're being a campaigner. It's not hard.

I actually think the club has Rachele pegged as our blue chip mid - and expect to see him in there a bit in 2024 and a lot in 25. Next year just build him up to get through a full season as a forward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
what makes you say that?

Back